Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Comment from: ASP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I have had lichen planus since about age 9. It started on my ankles, lower abdomen, and lower back. I also remember my naval itching constantly. At that time, the only treatment that could be provided was a few ultraviolet light sessions. I was told to sit outside, exposing the affected area to the sun. That seemed to relieve the itching, but the spots took a long time to go away. Since that time, I have had many outbreaks: some mild, some severe. The disease has appeared on my ankles, the tops of my feet, my wrists, legs, back, abdomen, mouth, and vagina. It usually appears symmetrically on each side of my body. About 10 years ago, my dermatologist prescribed Fluocinonide Gel and Protopic ointment. They both seem to work fine in most areas to relieve the itching and speed healing, although you have to be careful using the gel in your mouth (it is not recommended) because you cannot swallow the medication. The vaginal area is also tricky because the corticosteroids can trigger a yeast infection. I am having a bout with lichens in my mouth and vaginal area due to a reaction from a medication, which I just learned can happen. I also notice that the lichens will attack an open wound. I have not been left with any noticeable scars, but I do have some slight discolorations.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

I have had lichen planus for two years. It started as small blisters inside my mouth. Later I had places on the sides of my tongue and now I have places on my gums (which make them appear very red) anyone with this disease has my sympathy. I keep thinking it will go away but after two years, I am getting really frustrated. I have read about various treatments but I continue to use some cream my dentist recommended. It seems to soothe the pain, but it doesn't seem to look any better. I wonder if any of the alternative herbal medicines work. I would like to hear of any successful medication that might clear it up, or at least make it look better.

Comment from: KANSINGH, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 14

I am suffering from lichen planus for 5 months, all treatments taken as well as steroid, but got no relief. Finally I went to a homoeopathy physician and take treatment now I feel some relief. Homoeopathy physician said to me that after six month I'll become well ok.

Comment from: tb0709, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I was just diagnosed with lichen planus about 2 months ago. The itching is unbearable sometimes, it makes me want to cry. I have tried prednisone and clobetasol cream and neither have seemed to work.

Comment from: Peg12, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

My lichen planus is clearing up after 3-4 years. Just suddenly, out of the blue, it is getting better bit by bit. I wake up in the mornings and check, yes, my skins and arms look better daily. I have used creams and pills to help. There is hope for all!

Comment from: Magdolin, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 23

I'm 18 and I'm from Egypt and have had lichen planus for about 8 months now. I've read that it is fairly rare for someone my age to be afflicted with it. It started as a rash on the backs of my hands. I remember sitting in class and trying to hide my hands because I didn't want anyone to see it. The bright brown spots definitely look contagious! This condition started with brown spots not purplish spots like many patients. I have had it on my hands, feet, legs, neck, and back.

Comment from: dkw, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have lichen planus of the scalp and have been experiencing an outbreak for about nine years now. I have taken oral steroids, steroid injections, Clobex shampoo, Clobex spray and a laser. Nothing has worked. I have just started taking plaquenil.

Comment from: gailhope123, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was diagnosed with lichen planus a few months ago, the dermatologist treated it with Flagyl and Atarax for itching and cream for the spots, I had it on my back, on the top of my knees and other than that a bump here and there.

Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?