Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Comment from: carolyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had lichen planus for a while. I used all the things that the doctor ordered and they made me itch more. I bought some cream in a jar called Cream Kit and mixed it with a powder named BFI antiseptic first aid powder and used it all over my body, and in one day it was gone. You can get the cream from most beauty stores, you have to order the powder. It works for all skin conditions.

Comment from: Shunny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

About a month and a half ago, I began seeing bumps around my waist. I begin itching constantly. My primary care doctor diagnosed me as having contact dermatitis. He gave me a steroid shot, prednisone, and a cream. I went to the clinic, got the same diagnosis, but that doctor decided to treat me for scabies. Afterwards, skin itched worse and rash spread. I then went to a dermatologist who diagnosed me with lichen planus. I have to say it is one of the most horrible afflictions I have ever had. My body is almost 100% covered with rash. It's actually on my hands and under the bottoms of my feet. I went back to the dermatologist yesterday. He said it will probably be a month before the rash heals. Ugh! I hope everyone has swift healing. This disease of the skin is horrible.

Comment from: SooBoo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I developed oral lichen planus (OLP) in college, though it was not diagnosed until I was about 35. It has plagued me all these years. I had all the gold and silver removed from my teeth - no change in the OLP. I have not found any treatment that works. I have given up coffee, chocolate, and salad dressings. This summer I developed large plaques on my lower legs and ankles that itch like crazy. A dermatologist injected one of the lesions with cortisone and we are waiting to see if it does anything good! I sympathize with all the LP sufferers.

Comment from: gmbern, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I was diagnosed with lichen planus (LP) about 3 months ago. It has spread quickly from my wrists to my back and feet and arms. I also have psoriasis in a few places as well as hypothyroidism. I have seen numerous dermatologists and have a whole drawer full of creams, lotions, sprays, etc. I have finally grown tired of the usual route and went to an ND (naturopathic doctor). Interesting that all 3 diseases are autoimmune diseases. I am currently on a no dairy, no sugar, and no gluten diet. The thought is to work from the inside out. Not the outside in. I am keeping an open mind, because clearly the traditional route is not working. I'm only in my 2nd week of the diet. The ND said to give it 4 to 6 weeks. Then I will visit her again. Hoping to see some results then.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a small rash when I worked at a scrapyard. I broke my ankle on both sides and had hardware put in. I got hit by a car in the pedestrian zone at the mall before I was to get hardware out. I now have lichen planus on both feet, palms of hands, and patches on legs and body. It is debilitating and very painful. Flares up horribly with stress. I have no hepatitis or liver problems. I had all my shots. It aggravates all other conditions I had previously, high blood pressure, etc. It limits walking and other activities.

Comment from: RP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I'm 21 now and have been suffering from lichen planus since I was 19. It started with my feet then vagina, lower abdomen, hands and then my scalp. Thank goodness my face was spared! I lost my hair on the regions where it occurred, due to which I had to get my hair removed. Doctor prescribed clobetasol to apply on scalp as it helps to regenerate hair roots though it helped only 50% as my scalp is still visible. I was medicated with steroids in injection and Dapsone pills. That seemed to help but because of steroids I got striae on my thighs and waist and also my face was swollen. This continued for almost 1.5 years when I was fed up with allopathic medicines. Then I started with homeopathy 6 to 7 months back from now, and it has helped but of late I'm getting rashes again on my private area from a month. What I should do I don't know, and I'm really sick of it. From 2 years I haven't been able to move out my home because of hair loss and my condition.

Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?