Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Comment from: gmbern, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 04

I was diagnosed with lichen planus (LP) about 3 months ago. It has spread quickly from my wrists to my back and feet and arms. I also have psoriasis in a few places as well as hypothyroidism. I have seen numerous dermatologists and have a whole drawer full of creams, lotions, sprays, etc. I have finally grown tired of the usual route and went to an ND (naturopathic doctor). Interesting that all 3 diseases are autoimmune diseases. I am currently on a no dairy, no sugar, and no gluten diet. The thought is to work from the inside out. Not the outside in. I am keeping an open mind, because clearly the traditional route is not working. I'm only in my 2nd week of the diet. The ND said to give it 4 to 6 weeks. Then I will visit her again. Hoping to see some results then.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I had a small rash when I worked at a scrapyard. I broke my ankle on both sides and had hardware put in. I got hit by a car in the pedestrian zone at the mall before I was to get hardware out. I now have lichen planus on both feet, palms of hands, and patches on legs and body. It is debilitating and very painful. Flares up horribly with stress. I have no hepatitis or liver problems. I had all my shots. It aggravates all other conditions I had previously, high blood pressure, etc. It limits walking and other activities.

Comment from: RP, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I'm 21 now and have been suffering from lichen planus since I was 19. It started with my feet then vagina, lower abdomen, hands and then my scalp. Thank goodness my face was spared! I lost my hair on the regions where it occurred, due to which I had to get my hair removed. Doctor prescribed clobetasol to apply on scalp as it helps to regenerate hair roots though it helped only 50% as my scalp is still visible. I was medicated with steroids in injection and Dapsone pills. That seemed to help but because of steroids I got striae on my thighs and waist and also my face was swollen. This continued for almost 1.5 years when I was fed up with allopathic medicines. Then I started with homeopathy 6 to 7 months back from now, and it has helped but of late I'm getting rashes again on my private area from a month. What I should do I don't know, and I'm really sick of it. From 2 years I haven't been able to move out my home because of hair loss and my condition.

Comment from: Patrice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I was misdiagnosed for 2 years, told I had 'bitten the inside of my mouth', herpes, etc., until a Stanford physician got it in 5 minutes. I have had lichen planus 3 years now. All I hear is rash and mouth sores, but I get extremely fatigued, seem to need a lot more rest, and sores in my mouth. I would feel better if someone else had some of the same things going on, and we could share what helps and what does not. I get bad, yes, if stressed, so am trying to work with that. That is how I got this disease, so that has to change now. Frustrating, to say the least.

Comment from: shinobuzz, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

It all started 11 years back when I was 13 and tried my first hair removal treatment. Before that I had mild acne issues and was following a treatment at my local dermatologist. He was continuously providing me creams and medicines but there was no amelioration. Above all, my parents and I had no clue why my "so thought eczema" wasn"t going. Two years ago I found out by another dermatologist that it was called lichen planus and was returned with the same treatment. Till today it's a nightmare for me. Itchiness and dry skin form part of my daily life and my only way to ease my pain now is just moisturizing the skin though it is very tempting to scratch.

Comment from: positive, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I started with a rash across my stomach. The doctor said it was possibly from some article of clothing. This was in December 2013. Within a week it had spread to my back, then on to my legs. A biopsy was taken, lichen planus came up. Cortisone cream was prescribed for me (a waste of time), also this thins the skin; not good. My rash is now fading after using a vitamin E cream for dry, itchy skin. I have cut down on alcohol, I am watching my diet, and trying very hard not to get stressed. I know, easier said than done!

Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?