Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with lichen planus.

Comment from: Lpool, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I first started with a red itchy rash on my forearms 9 years ago. It lasted a couple of weeks then disappeared. It recurred about once or twice a year for a couple of years and despite creams and lotions seemed to run its course then disappear. After a particularly bad outbreak I went to my general physician (GP) and he referred me to a dermatologist but he didn't know what it was. Every time it occurred couldn't get an appointment with him before it went. Eventually I had tests done over a week using light therapy to see if they could induce an outbreak with UVA lights thinking it was the sun. After one biopsy they said I had discoid lupus or thought it was. It then disappeared for about 2 years, in between, that dentist diagnosed lichen planus in my mouth; did they not think the two were connected! Another 9 months until I could see a different dermatologist who said that the bald patches were old and had probably occurred during previous outbreaks but I had not noticed. I was informed that the hair follicles were damaged and would not grow again. This dermatologist then said it wasn't discoid lupus, it was lichen planus (LP). I tried cream and lotions but the hair loss continues. I am now on methotrexate 5 tablets and to be honest I don't think it is doing any good. They can't bring hair back, I just want them to help me not to lose anymore but don't think they can. I am one of the lucky ones I know that at the moment I can cope with it in my mouth, and lucky I have a good head of hair and my hairdresser helps me to cover some of the bald patches, but I can't believe that worldwide there is no answer; 9 years later I am no wiser.

Comment from: VaibLP, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 28

I was diagnosed with lichen planus (LP) one and half years ago, I had just graduated from college and had started working with a multinational corporation. Before I could experience my bachelor life I started developing lesions on my leg and within 2 months it got spread all over my body. As all new LP patients do, I consulted a dermatologist who prescribed me steroids, immunosuppressant and anti-inflammatory tablets, it showed great results with all lesions getting flattened and left with scars. I continued these medicines for about 8 months. After 8 months it started giving problem, I was suffering from side effects of these tablets and stopped their use. Then I read about a homeopathic clinic somewhere on online forum, I visited their clinic and started their medicine. Initially it was normal but after the effect of steroids and anti-inflammatory drugs wore off, my lesions returned with revenge. In spite of that I continued with only homeopathic medicines and it took me 4 months to finally get to see its effects with all scars fading. I have been on homeopathic medicines since 6 months and I think it is working, a little bit slower but better than steroids!

Comment from: carolyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I had lichen planus for a while. I used all the things that the doctor ordered and they made me itch more. I bought some cream in a jar called Cream Kit and mixed it with a powder named BFI antiseptic first aid powder and used it all over my body, and in one day it was gone. You can get the cream from most beauty stores, you have to order the powder. It works for all skin conditions.

Comment from: Shunny, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

About a month and a half ago, I began seeing bumps around my waist. I begin itching constantly. My primary care doctor diagnosed me as having contact dermatitis. He gave me a steroid shot, prednisone, and a cream. I went to the clinic, got the same diagnosis, but that doctor decided to treat me for scabies. Afterwards, skin itched worse and rash spread. I then went to a dermatologist who diagnosed me with lichen planus. I have to say it is one of the most horrible afflictions I have ever had. My body is almost 100% covered with rash. It's actually on my hands and under the bottoms of my feet. I went back to the dermatologist yesterday. He said it will probably be a month before the rash heals. Ugh! I hope everyone has swift healing. This disease of the skin is horrible.

Comment from: SooBoo, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I developed oral lichen planus (OLP) in college, though it was not diagnosed until I was about 35. It has plagued me all these years. I had all the gold and silver removed from my teeth - no change in the OLP. I have not found any treatment that works. I have given up coffee, chocolate, and salad dressings. This summer I developed large plaques on my lower legs and ankles that itch like crazy. A dermatologist injected one of the lesions with cortisone and we are waiting to see if it does anything good! I sympathize with all the LP sufferers.

Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?