Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Prognosis

Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?

Comment from: Little Lulu, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My lichen planus has an emotional trigger, apparently. It first appeared at age 18 months, and stayed active for 16 years, reappearing 2 years later, for another 16. Gone for 7 years. Doctors wondered what that was. No diagnosis until age 55. I'm 72 now, treating it with prescribed steroid ointment for 10 years off and on, it's worse and deeper than ever, and has started on my fingernails in the last year.

Comment from: Cono Ipsaro, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I noticed skin lesions earlier this summer on my hands. Originally I thought they were scratches from working out in the yard. I then started noticing them on different area, forearm, wrist, ankle, etc. The dermatologist did the biopsy to determine it was lichen planus (LP). Apparently at this point it sounds like I do not have it as bad as some others. Mine is not itchy but it does look horrible. Small red bumps with a distinct center point like the nucleus of a cell. Some appear as small blisters that eventually break open. Once open they take about a week or two to heal to where there is a scar. I am a long time hepatitis C carrier and suspect that this is a result. I have no other explanation. I am healthy and very active without a care in the world other than hepatitis C. On December 4th I am going to start my fifth attempt at hepatitis C treatment. The current medications available have more of a success rate without any of the nasty side effects from previous medications. The drug is Harvoni. Once I start I am hoping that along with a cure for the hepatitis I will get relief from the LP.

Comment from: notlichenit, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

When I was in my twenties I developed the lichen planus skin rash on my wrists, ankles and penis. Within a year or so it went away and I thought that was the end of it. Then about 7 or 8 years ago one, then two of my fingernails began to get discolored and striated. I went to a dermatologist and was told to try a steroid cream which he said may not do anything, and it didn't. Now 9 of my fingernails and all my toenails are nasty. Waiting for what will happen next.

Comment from: swill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have had lichen planus for approximately 4 years. After the initial breakout was under control I was left with sores that itch and won't heal. I use, under my dermatologist's care, triamcinolone acetonide cream for maintenance. The initial breakdown was atrocious. Now I find new blisters on my shoulder, which indicates another breakout. The thought of starting over with a whole new breakout is awful.

Comment from: cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had lichens planus for over 7 years in the vaginal area. It is chronic. My husband and I have not been able to have intercourse because it is just too painful. I am constantly sore, red and the itching is overwhelming. No physician has found a treatment that works for me. My dermatologist sends me to my gynecologist. My gynecologist sends me back to the dermatologist. No one wants my case. I am miserable.

Comment from: Evelyn, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I have had lichen planus in my hair. And since it was not diagnosed early enough I lost patches of hair that will not grow back.

Comment from: Twink, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I have had oral and genital lichen planus for many years. The following protocols have been helpful for me. Oral antihistamine like Claritin, Derma E Stop itch cream, Aquaphor and aloe gel. The creams heal, moisturize, and alleviate the itch. Also try airing your crotch at night wearing night gowns, it also seems to be helpful. I tried many things especially cortisone creams which really didn't help. It's a very annoying condition. Good luck and keep trying different things.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?