Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Prognosis

Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?

Comment from: swill, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 10

I have had lichen planus for approximately 4 years. After the initial breakout was under control I was left with sores that itch and won't heal. I use, under my dermatologist's care, triamcinolone acetonide cream for maintenance. The initial breakdown was atrocious. Now I find new blisters on my shoulder, which indicates another breakout. The thought of starting over with a whole new breakout is awful.

Comment from: cat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have had lichens planus for over 7 years in the vaginal area. It is chronic. My husband and I have not been able to have intercourse because it is just too painful. I am constantly sore, red and the itching is overwhelming. No physician has found a treatment that works for me. My dermatologist sends me to my gynecologist. My gynecologist sends me back to the dermatologist. No one wants my case. I am miserable.

Comment from: GERT, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have recently, about a year ago, been diagnosed with genital lichen planus, which is being treated with clobetasol ointment. Sometimes the area is more irritated than other times, the ointment working part-time it seems. (I have no itching, thankfully.) Also I have some bumps on my lower back, though not causing me any real problem. Today I had an appointment with my dentist because I noticed lesions/sensitivity in my lower jaw area. I had hoped it wasn't this planus stuff, but apparently it is! (I need to mention that I have been under stress a year ago taking care of a very cantankerous 95 year old mother.) As a ten year old child I had very large boils for over a year's time. I am wondering if there could be a relationship between the boils and the lichen planus.

Comment from: aruna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I noticed hair fall in patches 15 years ago. My doctor diagnosed it as alopecia areata and started treatment. It didn't help much. Then after a few years I developed red vaginal mucosa with occasional cuts which was causing pain. No diagnosis could be made. Then I developed breast cancer 5 years ago and underwent radical surgery. It was ER, PR (estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor) negative ductal carcinoma. I underwent vulvar colposcopic biopsy which came out as lichenoid vulvitis. Now I have gums which are painful. Steroid cream doesn't help.

Comment from: a patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I've had erosive lichen planus for 32 years. It is extensive, severely painful, and involves all the mucosa areas (an ear, esophagus, etc.). There doesn't seem to be a good treatment that effectively controls pain without severe side effects.

Comment from: ss14024, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have lichen planus on my calves, back and front. I have had it for years and it won't go away. I went to two different dermatologists but all they gave me was creams that didn't work. They don't know how to treat it. The summer heat makes it worse. I got off my allergy shots and I think that helped a bit.

Comment from: vip, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am suffering this problem almost from 7 yrs. My affected parts are my legs n my lower back. I feel very shamed of having this problem. I have taken several medicines and ointments, but it all waste. I want to be cure soon.

Comment from: birbeck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I have lichen planus. Most cases of lichen planus go away by themselves in a few years, but I am among the few that have had it for decades.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?