Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Prognosis

Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?

Comment from: GERT, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have recently, about a year ago, been diagnosed with genital lichen planus, which is being treated with clobetasol ointment. Sometimes the area is more irritated than other times, the ointment working part-time it seems. (I have no itching, thankfully.) Also I have some bumps on my lower back, though not causing me any real problem. Today I had an appointment with my dentist because I noticed lesions/sensitivity in my lower jaw area. I had hoped it wasn't this planus stuff, but apparently it is! (I need to mention that I have been under stress a year ago taking care of a very cantankerous 95 year old mother.) As a ten year old child I had very large boils for over a year's time. I am wondering if there could be a relationship between the boils and the lichen planus.

Comment from: aruna, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I noticed hair fall in patches 15 years ago. My doctor diagnosed it as alopecia areata and started treatment. It didn't help much. Then after a few years I developed red vaginal mucosa with occasional cuts which was causing pain. No diagnosis could be made. Then I developed breast cancer 5 years ago and underwent radical surgery. It was ER, PR (estrogen receptor, progesterone receptor) negative ductal carcinoma. I underwent vulvar colposcopic biopsy which came out as lichenoid vulvitis. Now I have gums which are painful. Steroid cream doesn't help.

Comment from: a patient, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I've had erosive lichen planus for 32 years. It is extensive, severely painful, and involves all the mucosa areas (an ear, esophagus, etc.). There doesn't seem to be a good treatment that effectively controls pain without severe side effects.

Comment from: ss14024, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have lichen planus on my calves, back and front. I have had it for years and it won't go away. I went to two different dermatologists but all they gave me was creams that didn't work. They don't know how to treat it. The summer heat makes it worse. I got off my allergy shots and I think that helped a bit.

Comment from: vip, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

I am suffering this problem almost from 7 yrs. My affected parts are my legs n my lower back. I feel very shamed of having this problem. I have taken several medicines and ointments, but it all waste. I want to be cure soon.

Comment from: birbeck, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I have lichen planus. Most cases of lichen planus go away by themselves in a few years, but I am among the few that have had it for decades.

Comment from: lew lew, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm 49 years old and was just diagnosed with lichen planus. I am scared to death. It is taking everything in my body to stay calm for my boyfriend and my daughter. I don't want them to think I'm contagious. Even though I told them it's not, my daughter is scared and doesn't want to lie down in the bed and just talk anymore. This feels terrible. I have read lots about this illness. Why me? Don't I have everything else – why this, now? I know I am not dying, but it surely feels like this inside. I will continue to write so I can feel better. I know there are others who know and understand what I am feeling.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?