Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Treatment

What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?

Comment from: BETTY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was cured of lichen planus, which I experienced in a very aggressive and recurrent form when I was 20 years old. After 8 months of intervals of being fine for one month and then having my mouth with white painful patches that would bleed, a doctor prescribed me 10 shots of gamma globulin and ten of lysozyme. It was an expensive treatment, but not that expensive considering that it cured me forever (now I am 58).

Comment from: amcbr76, 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 28

I developed lichen planus after an initial outbreak of eczema. I went through all of the topical treatments and finally my dermatologist said that a sub-therapeutic round of an anti-fungal called Gris-Peg sometimes "shocked" the lichen planus cycle. It worked. I still have a troublesome eczema that I periodically treat with Clobex.

Comment from: OMG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have suffered with lichen planus. Prednisone, Phisoderm body wash and Cetaphil lotion were my solution, it helped tremendously. I"m a patient not a doctor but I am speaking from experience. It gave me back my social life. Please try.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

Betty, my husband has been suffering with lichen planus for several years. Treatments have not worked and only cause side effects. I was interested in knowing what kind of doctor you saw to receive the injections of gamma globulin and lysozyme. Where did you get them and how much did it cost? I would love to know the specifics, as I'm sure many others would as well. The suffering is great. Thank you!

Comment from: cat22, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had severe outbreak of oral mucosa lichen planus in my mid-20s. It lasted for about five years. It was definitely stress related for me. They tried oral steroids, but they didn't help. I finally started on Dapsone, a medication for treating leprosy, but it worked. One of the drug side effects is anemia, so I was tired a lot. But it was worth it to get rid of the sores that kept me from eating.

Comment from: KeBra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

My affected areas are arms and legs. Not mouth! Antihistamines for a month.

Comment from: poonam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have lichen planus pigmentosus on my upper lips and chin. I am under medication and my dermatologist suggested that I take Isotroin. I'm not sure how this would help me.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?