Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Treatment

What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?

Comment from: Ram, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I observed lichen planus first on my skin around one year back. After 6 to 8 months it spread all over my forearms, elbows, armpits, waist region, groin, hips, and calf region. I visited the best dermatologist, and she prescribed steroids for two weeks but my condition did not change. After that I used homeopathy, but no difference in the condition. I was mentally disturbed, and for several months I stopped using medicines. I started drinking hot water with lemon juice and honey early morning, fasting one day in every week and take as less food as possible. Surprisingly after one week I noticed change and my condition is far better now. Only faded marks are left on my skin. Try this, it may work for you as well, good luck.

Comment from: Ananda, (Patient) Published: October 01

I was affected by lichen planus on my penis 8 months back. I thought it was infection and applied coconut oil only once, and it was cured. But I got erosive lichen planus inside my cheeks. I thought it was canker sore, so I used ghee but it did not get cured. When I knew it was lichen planus then I started applying coconut oil since 10 days. It is healing and only 10 percent is left. Please use coconut oil 5 times daily.

Comment from: Peter, Male (Patient) Published: July 14

For lichen planus I use a hairdryer directed toward the itchy area, as close as you can without burning yourself. You will begin to feel intense itching. Hold hair dryer for about 30 seconds beyond that and you will have relief! If you can stop the itching, it will prevent the scarring.

Comment from: Kumari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I suffer from LPP (lichen planus pemphigoides) since 2013. None of the medicines helped. Neutrogena fine fairness serum with Retinol (vitamin A) was the answer. There is 50 percent fading in the dark patches on my neck and face. I also use Clinique dark spot corrector which also helps.

Comment from: BETTY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was cured of lichen planus, which I experienced in a very aggressive and recurrent form when I was 20 years old. After 8 months of intervals of being fine for one month and then having my mouth with white painful patches that would bleed, a doctor prescribed me 10 shots of gamma globulin and ten of lysozyme. It was an expensive treatment, but not that expensive considering that it cured me forever (now I am 58).

Comment from: Female 41 yrs, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had severe pimples on my face, for which I consulted a doctor. She prescribed a tablet called doxycycline. I used the tablet for 6 months, and the side effect of that has caused lichen planus. On showing it to her, she asked me to discontinue the doxycycline tablet. I understand that she has given me overdose of that tablet (I used it for 6 months). Now, I have these strange brown and violet color spots and patches all over my hands, legs, neck, back and front. They are not itchy but very unpleasant to look at.

Comment from: mrs. larson, Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I've had oral lichen planus for 13 years. I got it cleared up for several years and then it shows up again. I think that I've found my solution; fruit. I realized that fruit has been lacking in my diet. I ate some and my condition improved, vastly. I now plan on eating fruit frequently.

Comment from: Mani, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I am very anxious to find out how I can get this gamma globulin and lysozyme shots. I have suffered for 9 years now with this horrible and painful condition of lichen planus.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?