Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Treatment

What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?

Comment from: Ananda, (Patient) Published: October 01

I was affected by lichen planus on my penis 8 months back. I thought it was infection and applied coconut oil only once, and it was cured. But I got erosive lichen planus inside my cheeks. I thought it was canker sore, so I used ghee but it did not get cured. When I knew it was lichen planus then I started applying coconut oil since 10 days. It is healing and only 10 percent is left. Please use coconut oil 5 times daily.

Comment from: Peter, Male (Patient) Published: July 14

For lichen planus I use a hairdryer directed toward the itchy area, as close as you can without burning yourself. You will begin to feel intense itching. Hold hair dryer for about 30 seconds beyond that and you will have relief! If you can stop the itching, it will prevent the scarring.

Comment from: Kumari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I suffer from LPP (lichen planus pemphigoides) since 2013. None of the medicines helped. Neutrogena fine fairness serum with Retinol (vitamin A) was the answer. There is 50 percent fading in the dark patches on my neck and face. I also use Clinique dark spot corrector which also helps.

Comment from: BETTY, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was cured of lichen planus, which I experienced in a very aggressive and recurrent form when I was 20 years old. After 8 months of intervals of being fine for one month and then having my mouth with white painful patches that would bleed, a doctor prescribed me 10 shots of gamma globulin and ten of lysozyme. It was an expensive treatment, but not that expensive considering that it cured me forever (now I am 58).

Comment from: amcbr76, 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 28

I developed lichen planus after an initial outbreak of eczema. I went through all of the topical treatments and finally my dermatologist said that a sub-therapeutic round of an anti-fungal called Gris-Peg sometimes "shocked" the lichen planus cycle. It worked. I still have a troublesome eczema that I periodically treat with Clobex.

Comment from: Mani, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I am very anxious to find out how I can get this gamma globulin and lysozyme shots. I have suffered for 9 years now with this horrible and painful condition of lichen planus.

Comment from: pathos, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I've had lichen planus, primarily on my legs and arms, for two years now and nothing has helped except lotions to keep my skin from drying out. At times the itchiness is unbearable and I scratch myself raw. I've found a cream called Calmoseptine which heals wounds, and is very soothing and promotes healing... and since it is pink, it covers my awful sores a bit so I don't feel so conspicuous wearing short sleeves. It isn't a cure but it sure helps. It's not found on store shelves, you have to ask for it at the pharmacy.

Comment from: OMG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have suffered with lichen planus. Prednisone, Phisoderm body wash and Cetaphil lotion were my solution, it helped tremendously. I"m a patient not a doctor but I am speaking from experience. It gave me back my social life. Please try.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

Betty, my husband has been suffering with lichen planus for several years. Treatments have not worked and only cause side effects. I was interested in knowing what kind of doctor you saw to receive the injections of gamma globulin and lysozyme. Where did you get them and how much did it cost? I would love to know the specifics, as I'm sure many others would as well. The suffering is great. Thank you!

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?