Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Treatment

What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?

Comment from: amcbr76, 55-64 (Patient) Published: February 28

I developed lichen planus after an initial outbreak of eczema. I went through all of the topical treatments and finally my dermatologist said that a sub-therapeutic round of an anti-fungal called Gris-Peg sometimes "shocked" the lichen planus cycle. It worked. I still have a troublesome eczema that I periodically treat with Clobex.

Comment from: pathos, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I've had lichen planus, primarily on my legs and arms, for two years now and nothing has helped except lotions to keep my skin from drying out. At times the itchiness is unbearable and I scratch myself raw. I've found a cream called Calmoseptine which heals wounds, and is very soothing and promotes healing... and since it is pink, it covers my awful sores a bit so I don't feel so conspicuous wearing short sleeves. It isn't a cure but it sure helps. It's not found on store shelves, you have to ask for it at the pharmacy.

Comment from: OMG, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have suffered with lichen planus. Prednisone, Phisoderm body wash and Cetaphil lotion were my solution, it helped tremendously. I"m a patient not a doctor but I am speaking from experience. It gave me back my social life. Please try.

Comment from: Sherry, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 02

Betty, my husband has been suffering with lichen planus for several years. Treatments have not worked and only cause side effects. I was interested in knowing what kind of doctor you saw to receive the injections of gamma globulin and lysozyme. Where did you get them and how much did it cost? I would love to know the specifics, as I'm sure many others would as well. The suffering is great. Thank you!

Comment from: cat22, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I had severe outbreak of oral mucosa lichen planus in my mid-20s. It lasted for about five years. It was definitely stress related for me. They tried oral steroids, but they didn't help. I finally started on Dapsone, a medication for treating leprosy, but it worked. One of the drug side effects is anemia, so I was tired a lot. But it was worth it to get rid of the sores that kept me from eating.

Comment from: KeBra, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

My affected areas are arms and legs. Not mouth! Antihistamines for a month.

Comment from: poonam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 15

I have lichen planus pigmentosus on my upper lips and chin. I am under medication and my dermatologist suggested that I take Isotroin. I'm not sure how this would help me.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Diagnosis Question: What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?