Patient Comments: Lichen Planus - Diagnosis

What types of tests or exams led to a diagnosis of lichen planus?

Comment from: vatrekker, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

A punch and slice biopsy confirmed I have lichen planus chronicus. The dermatologist advised me it is an immune system skin disease. I have been using clobetasol for a year but does not seem to help. The doctor advised me that oral medication is the next step.

Comment from: Carolyn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have suffered with lichen planus now for more than three years. It first started with red gums and it was very difficult to eat. Then, I broke out with a rash on my legs. Later, it got really bad in my mouth and on my lips. I have had ear canal problems that have been very serious at times. I have terrible sinus problems and a terrible time with dry eyes and pus on the eye lids, especially at night. My throat swells to where I can barely swallow a small pill, and when I wake, my esophagus feels like there's a tight rubber band on it. It gets little better as the day goes on, but sometimes everything I try to swallow hurts when it goes down. I am on Pacquenil and small dose of prednisone. When it started going into my eye I was put on a high dose of prednisone and felt like a new person. But, it was too risky, so was cut to the minimal, which barely works. I was sent to a university medical center, where they came up with three plans. One was Quinacrine, but I was allergic to it. The second was cyclosporine, which tasted nasty. I don't even know what the third plan is. I have a few somewhat good days but most days are really bad. The doctors said I'm in the top 10 “worst cases” they have seen. I hope I wake one morning and it is totally gone. I just keep telling myself there is worse out there.

Comment from: dk, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 19

My hairdresser first told me that I was developing a bald spot on my scalp. I went to one of those hair clubs to see if I could get treatment for hair loss. I was referred to a dermatologist who did a biopsy.

Comment from: Shortie27gurl, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I have had this condition since I turned 21. I am now 33. I have hoped that by now, a cure would have been found or a true treatment. I found that a tanning bed helps to reduce the appearance as my ankles, calves and shins are covered. My wrists and the tops of my hands are also. I always have people stop me if I wear shorts and ask me what is wrong with me. I just want to be normal again! Please find a cure soon!!

Comment from: suffering w/ bullus, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I have suffered for two years with I have suffered for two years with bullous lichen planus. I am allergic to Plaquenil. I am now on prednisone, which is new for me. I've had clobetasol propionate creams and antibacterial creams. I have the disease in my mouth and private parts, throat, arms, legs, and abdomen, along with bleeding ears. I have had two different types of skin biopsies. I am in terrible pain 24 hours, seven days a week. It keeps me from sleeping, and I am not on any pain or sleeping meds. I take OTC sleep aids probably way too much – practically every night.

Lichen Planus - Describe Your Experience Question: Please describe your experience with lichen planus.
Lichen Planus - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Treatment Question: What forms of medical treatment, including medication, did you receive for lichen planus?
Lichen Planus - Prognosis Question: Discuss your experience with lichen planus. Have you had any recurrences?