GENERIC NAME: levofloxacin
BRAND NAME: Levaquin
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes
- Levaquin is used to treat infections of the sinuses, skin, lungs, ears, airways, bones, and joints caused by susceptible bacteria.
- Levaquin also is frequently used to treat urinary infections, including those resistant to other antibiotics, as well as prostatitis (infection of the prostate).
- Levaquin is effective in treating infectious diarrhea caused by E. coli, Campylobacter jejuni, and Shigella bacteria.
- Levaquin also can be used to treat various obstetric infections, including mastitis (infection of the breast).
- Inhalational anthrax exposure also is treated with Levaquin.
LEVAQUIN SIDE EFFECTS:
The most frequently reported side effects of Levaquin are:
Less common side effects include:
Rare allergic reactions have been described are:
Possible serious side effects of Levaquin include:
- Tendinitis and tendon rupture
- Peripheral neuropathy
- Central nervous system effects
- Worsening of myasthenia gravis
- Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea (CDAD)
- Abnormal heart beats
- Liver dysfunction
- Sun sensitivity
Quick GuideInfectious Mononucleosis (Mono): Symptoms and Treatment
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.