Patient Comments: Leukemia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your leukemia?

Comment from: rit, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

I had a prostate biopsy, and I have had a Foley catheter in for 14 days.

Comment from: lauraerod, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I had AML (acute myeloid leukemia) and after induction and consolidation chemotherapy I had a bone marrow transplant.

Comment from: Teresa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia (AML) on December 29, 2009. The first treatment I had is a process known as leukapheresis to remove excess white blood cells (WBCs) before my chemotherapy started. High dose chemotherapy will kill the cancerous cells, but when there are so many extra WBCs, the body cannot get rid of them and sepsis can set in. Therefore, as many cells as possible must be removed first. Leukapheresis is like kind of like dialysis. The blood is taken out, WBCs removed, and then the blood is returned. The process takes about 4 hours. This got my count down to a more normal level. Next was high dose chemotherapy. This is an in-patient hospital procedure that takes around a month from start to finish. The chemical I got was Ara-C and it is given as 2 doses per day for 6 days. Then the bone marrow is wiped out and the body has no immunity, so the hospital stay is as long as it takes to get enough healthy WBCs to fight infection, usually 3 more weeks. This process put me in remission. None of my siblings matched for a transplant and the least risky procedure was to try several more rounds of chemotherapy. The theory is that each time the bone marrow is wiped out, the first stem cells to replenish are healthy non- cancerous cells and the will kill off any cancer cells. I had 2 more rounds of chemotherapy, a month in hospital each time with about 3 weeks at home in-between. I was in remission for about a year before I relapsed. By this time, a donor was found from the National Bone Marrow Registry (Be the Match). I had a stem cell transplant from a non-related donor in June 2011.

Comment from: erica, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 16

I had my D and C yesterday and today I don't feel very good and have high blood pressure. I don't know if I should go to the emergency room or just wait and see if it gets any better.

Comment from: siamak, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I have been treated for chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) by a cocktail mix of fludarabine and cyclophosphamide 3 years ago. My white cell blood count dropped from 220000 (90 percent lymphocyte count) to 5000 (30 percent lymph). About 3 months ago I took a CBC (complete blood count) test and my white count was 140000 (88 percent). I thought this was okay until 3 or 4 days ago I noticed that I have 2 very little lymph nodes. They produce no pain, unless I press them. Therefore I am not sure this condition is due to my CLL or caused by other things.

Comment from: help, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 24

No treatment has been given for leukemia. Her medical history is that she has diabetes, kidney disease, depression, leukemia, high blood pressure, and loss of vision. I think that is it.

Comment from: Ann0505, Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have experienced fatigue, night sweats, loss of appetite, headaches, stomach aches, sore throat and minor weight loss. I am convinced I have leukemia but I will keep my hopes up. I am 15 and am going in for a blood test two days from now.

Leukemia - Symptoms Question: What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?