Patient Comments: Leukemia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your leukemia?

Comment from: Ann0505, Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have experienced fatigue, night sweats, loss of appetite, headaches, stomach aches, sore throat and minor weight loss. I am convinced I have leukemia but I will keep my hopes up. I am 15 and am going in for a blood test two days from now.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm in my late 40s I was diagnosed with CML 2 years ago. My doctor was treating my symptoms individually so it took longer to put 2 and 2 together. My symptoms were, burning tongue syndrome, blood in urine/stool, abdominal pain, very fatigued, anemia, shortness of breath, pain in my chest, and became very ill with pneumonia 3 years in a row during the winter months. When my doctor refused to make the time to see me on three different occasions, I went to the ER with abdominal pain. That's when the blood work came back with high white count of 23000 and going up by the 9th day in the hospital and lots and lots of tests that finally revealed CML. My advise to you, don't let your doctor turn you away if you feel you need to be seen, be persistent! I'm doing better, and still fighting.

Comment from: BoB, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: November 02

My 21 year old son was diagnosed with CML. He went on medications and for three months. Thereafter we managed to get him onto Gleevec whilst we sought a stem cell donor. After seven months a donor was found and the transplant was infused. After many 'related' illnesses he was finally in remission and has been totally free of cancer until his untimely and unrelated death in September. Prior to his transplant and whilst he had been on Hydrea for the full three months he donated sperm to enable him to have a family later - due to chemo, radiation etc. etc. Shortly after his transplant he got married. We had been advised recently that there could be a problem with the sperm due to the Hydrea. I have researched and cannot find conclusive if this is true or not. His distraught wife (our daughter in law) wants to go ahead with IVF. My wife and I disagree with her.

Comment from: abe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I was diagnosed in November, 2010 with aml my doctor started treatment of DACOGEN right away. I first took 10 a month for 4 months. After another bone test I am down to 5 treatments a month. The doctor said I would take these for 2 years. The last test he said my cancer cells were down to 5 to 7 percent which he said was good for me but wanted to get them to 0.

Comment from: dimples`, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was diagnosed with Hairy cell leukemia when I was 18 years old. My doctor said I wouldn't need treatment unless it became cancerous. She said eventually it probably would. She said it was best not to treat it as long as it wasn't affecting my life style because any type of treatment isn't harmful but it's rough on you. So I decided to just stay home when I feel fatigued through the stages of leukemia. I was told that hairy cell leukemia is the best type if you're going to have to have leukemia, because it seems to go through stages most of the time. Through the years with blood work I had always seemed to have a high white blood cell count, with hairy cells here and there. Only a few times has it been normal and that was exciting for me and when I felt the greatest. Living with it stinks I'm told I have a funny odor to me, unless they are just kidding but I don't know the difference anyway. I have a nephew with this as well, and he's being monitored. The doctor thinks my son may develop it too, because he shows some signs of it because of his digestive track problems, and that his system is getting more fragile at times. His nurse said it was possible stages of leukemia. I hope he stays healthy. Good luck to everyone with this disease. Keep fighting.

Comment from: Greg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I was diagnosed with Leukemia late after going to the doctors with sore teeth and gum problems Sept 2009, sore lymph glands and itchy groin and small lump, couldn't stay awake at all during day and often slept night and day. Blood test revealed acute Myloyde leukemia, blast cells in the mouth, got to the stage I could not drink or eat 3 months, had tpn as food, chemo on and off for 3 months and remission for 12 months. Have now relapsed Jan-March 2011 and in for cord cell transplant. Now in Gods hands, good luck to you all, Greg.

Leukemia - Symptoms Question: What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?