Patient Comments: Leukemia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your leukemia?

Comment from: abe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I was diagnosed in November, 2010 with aml my doctor started treatment of DACOGEN right away. I first took 10 a month for 4 months. After another bone test I am down to 5 treatments a month. The doctor said I would take these for 2 years. The last test he said my cancer cells were down to 5 to 7 percent which he said was good for me but wanted to get them to 0.

Comment from: dimples`, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was diagnosed with Hairy cell leukemia when I was 18 years old. My doctor said I wouldn't need treatment unless it became cancerous. She said eventually it probably would. She said it was best not to treat it as long as it wasn't affecting my life style because any type of treatment isn't harmful but it's rough on you. So I decided to just stay home when I feel fatigued through the stages of leukemia. I was told that hairy cell leukemia is the best type if you're going to have to have leukemia, because it seems to go through stages most of the time. Through the years with blood work I had always seemed to have a high white blood cell count, with hairy cells here and there. Only a few times has it been normal and that was exciting for me and when I felt the greatest. Living with it stinks I'm told I have a funny odor to me, unless they are just kidding but I don't know the difference anyway. I have a nephew with this as well, and he's being monitored. The doctor thinks my son may develop it too, because he shows some signs of it because of his digestive track problems, and that his system is getting more fragile at times. His nurse said it was possible stages of leukemia. I hope he stays healthy. Good luck to everyone with this disease. Keep fighting.

Comment from: Em, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have had a sinus/ear infection for 5 months now and I am beginning to have other issues. A red dotted rash showed up on my arms/legs about a month ago. My skin has taken on a reddish purple color and when touched looks like a hyper color shirt leaving a perfect imprint of a hand. I have had nose bleeds, pain in my left side under my rib cage, joint pains, muscle pain, leg pain that's awful, fatigue and I'm impossible cold all the time. I have not been diagnosed; in fact I haven't had a diagnoses of any kind except a sinus infection. I have been to the doctor 3 times in the last month and no one seems to believe me. I'm a young woman and supposed to be healthy. Clearly I'm not; I haven't found any doctor that wants to find out why a 30 year olds immune system is non-existent. They just write another script for antibiotics and send me on my way. I don't want to be one of those "if only we caught it sooner". I'm scared for myself and very frustrated. Any advice on how to better approach this or just help would be much appreciated.

Comment from: Greg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I was diagnosed with Leukemia late after going to the doctors with sore teeth and gum problems Sept 2009, sore lymph glands and itchy groin and small lump, couldn't stay awake at all during day and often slept night and day. Blood test revealed acute Myloyde leukemia, blast cells in the mouth, got to the stage I could not drink or eat 3 months, had tpn as food, chemo on and off for 3 months and remission for 12 months. Have now relapsed Jan-March 2011 and in for cord cell transplant. Now in Gods hands, good luck to you all, Greg.

Comment from: Carolyn, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 11

I just found out my sister has APL, she will be starting chemo on Monday April 11, 2011. Thank God she went in for a regular yearly physical and they caught it pretty early. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this type of Leukemia (Acute Proyelocytic Leukemia). To get some words of encouragement and to get an idea what I can do to help her go through chemo.

Comment from: CancerMom, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

I was diagnosed with APL Leukemia December 8, 2010 while 31 weeks pregnant. I had all the symptoms but they were masked by my pregnancy so I got diagnosed a little late. I was immediately hospitalized and given ATRA. I had very bad reactions to it so I had to stop and deliver the baby 6 weeks early to start heavy duty induction chemo. Now I am in remission and undergoing 50 arsenic treatments and loving my new baby boy!

Leukemia - Symptoms Question: For leukemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?