Patient Comments: Leukemia - Treatments

What was the treatment for your leukemia?

Comment from: Patti, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

To the young lady writing about her doctors not doing anything about her lack of immunity in her body. Go to a cancer center and have them run tests. Any Doctor worth his weight in gold would already have sent you there. Do not wait to have cancer jump on you, get a head start and verify if you do or do not have a cancer of some type. I am a cancer survivor, (lymph node cancer). Yes, I went through chemo and I was fortunate I did not get sick during that time period. Weak, I had diarrhea and my immune system was way down, but otherwise I remained okay. Able to do my own housework too. All this at age 65 then. I praise the Lord every day for bringing me through this. I have been cancer free since my last chemo in Nov. of 2010. Good luck.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have been on several therapies for CML. My first treatment involved all trans Retinoic Acid in tandem with Hydrea. Secondly, I was treated with homoherringtonine and inteferon alpha (one by infustion and the other by subcutaneous injection. Thirdly, I was treated with Gleevec (alone). My fourth treatment was with another trial drug, now approved as Sprycel. My fifth treatment consisted of SKI 606 now called Bosutinib (still in trial) and finally I have entered yet another trial in Phase 2 of the Ariad trial, now called Ponatinib. These are second and third generation TKI's and end with "nib".

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I'm in my late 40s I was diagnosed with CML 2 years ago. My doctor was treating my symptoms individually so it took longer to put 2 and 2 together. My symptoms were, burning tongue syndrome, blood in urine/stool, abdominal pain, very fatigued, anemia, shortness of breath, pain in my chest, and became very ill with pneumonia 3 years in a row during the winter months. When my doctor refused to make the time to see me on three different occasions, I went to the ER with abdominal pain. That's when the blood work came back with high white count of 23000 and going up by the 9th day in the hospital and lots and lots of tests that finally revealed CML. My advise to you, don't let your doctor turn you away if you feel you need to be seen, be persistent! I'm doing better, and still fighting.

Comment from: abe, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

I was diagnosed in November, 2010 with aml my doctor started treatment of DACOGEN right away. I first took 10 a month for 4 months. After another bone test I am down to 5 treatments a month. The doctor said I would take these for 2 years. The last test he said my cancer cells were down to 5 to 7 percent which he said was good for me but wanted to get them to 0.

Comment from: dimples`, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I was diagnosed with Hairy cell leukemia when I was 18 years old. My doctor said I wouldn't need treatment unless it became cancerous. She said eventually it probably would. She said it was best not to treat it as long as it wasn't affecting my life style because any type of treatment isn't harmful but it's rough on you. So I decided to just stay home when I feel fatigued through the stages of leukemia. I was told that hairy cell leukemia is the best type if you're going to have to have leukemia, because it seems to go through stages most of the time. Through the years with blood work I had always seemed to have a high white blood cell count, with hairy cells here and there. Only a few times has it been normal and that was exciting for me and when I felt the greatest. Living with it stinks I'm told I have a funny odor to me, unless they are just kidding but I don't know the difference anyway. I have a nephew with this as well, and he's being monitored. The doctor thinks my son may develop it too, because he shows some signs of it because of his digestive track problems, and that his system is getting more fragile at times. His nurse said it was possible stages of leukemia. I hope he stays healthy. Good luck to everyone with this disease. Keep fighting.

Comment from: Greg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 11

I was diagnosed with Leukemia late after going to the doctors with sore teeth and gum problems Sept 2009, sore lymph glands and itchy groin and small lump, couldn't stay awake at all during day and often slept night and day. Blood test revealed acute Myloyde leukemia, blast cells in the mouth, got to the stage I could not drink or eat 3 months, had tpn as food, chemo on and off for 3 months and remission for 12 months. Have now relapsed Jan-March 2011 and in for cord cell transplant. Now in Gods hands, good luck to you all, Greg.

Leukemia - Symptoms Question: What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?