Patient Comments: Leukemia - Symptoms

What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?

Comment from: baylee 123, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 30

In my family we have had a line of family members that have died of different cancers. I'm starting to worry that I might have leukemia because I have headaches constantly on a daily basis. I also have night sweats every night and getting so tired I have tried going to bed at 8 and waking up at 8. I am still so tired and during the day I would get a dull ache in my bones, or I would get a sharp stab in my joints. And I have a fuzzy pain in the back of my neck when looking down. My back is always sore; like always! I can't bend over to pick something up and I am 12.I get really sick, like heaps of ear, chest, skin, and throat infections all the time. Also every day I feel like I am going to throw up. I am starting to get bruised quite easily. I am always feeling I have a cold and my glands are always swollen. I have had phlegm at the back of my throat for years now. And I have a very uncomfortable pain in my liver and my tummy looks like it is swollen. My gums have been bleeding too and I have been really weak. I tell my parents but they don't think much of it. I am wondering if I should tell them I should go to the doctors.

Comment from: stenfam, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I was diagnosed with CML (chronic myelogenous leukemia) a year and a half ago. My only symptom was chronic fatigue. Since I had been treated for depression in the past (was off antidepressants and doing well for over a year at that point), I assumed it had returned and I made an appointment with primary care. In the meantime, I donated blood as I usually did every two months. It was two months from my prior donation at this time as well. Within a week of my donation I received a call requesting that I contact my doctor as soon as possible and request repeat blood work. I saw my doctor the next day. Based on those results, he told me he believed I had leukemia and sent me to oncology for confirmation. After a bone marrow biopsy, CML was confirmed. My only symptom had been chronic fatigue. With my past medical history, my doctor most likely would have prescribed an antidepressant and sent me on my way without a question from me, as I assumed that was the problem as well. In this case, donating blood saved my own life. With early detection, I still haven't had many of the symptoms described in this article. I never even felt sick until beginning treatment, but many side effects have subsided and I'm doing well. Please see your doctor if you aren't feeling well and suspect this may be the cause. Early detection really does make a difference when dealing with leukemia.

Comment from: cancerdude, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I am twenty and diagnosed with ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia) and AML (acute myeloid leukemia). At first I started fainting frequently and I was diagnosed with syncope. My lymph nodes in my neck would get swollen once in a while and I had bad joint pain in my ankles. At one point I had an abscess. I didn't think anything of it so I just waited out the symptoms and they eventually disappeared. A few months later I went for a checkup and my doctor diagnosed me with anemia and wanted more tests done. Five rounds of chemotherapy later I am in remission and heading to transplant. All I can say is if you're diagnosed with leukemia, trust your doctors and keep your hope up and stay as active as possible.

Comment from: scorpioness, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I"ve been having night sweats the last few months. I've been getting very tired very easy and have constant headaches. The doctors tested my blood and discovered my WBC count is slightly high. I'm awaiting more tests to see if it's a confirmation of leukemia.

Comment from: sue, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My brother died only three months ago. Over a couple of weeks, he felt unwell with a cold. He complained of feeling tired, woke up looking very pale, had high temperatures. Finally, he went to the hospital, but he never came home. The team worked on him and couldn't understand why he wasn't responding to treatment. After he died, tests came back that said he had a rare form of leukemia. He never knew he had it. He was a gentle giant, and I miss him so much.

Comment from: Katie40346, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am wondering if I should get blood tests done. I have random bruising all over my body for no apparent reason and at first I thought I had hives but realize it"s petechia, I also have been consistently losing weight and have been cramping a lot in my foot and legs, and I"ve been tired. I thought this all could be a sign of anemia but it"s gotten progressively worse over the year.

Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?