Patient Comments: Leukemia - Symptoms

For leukemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: cancerdude, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 26

I am twenty and diagnosed with ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia) and AML (acute myeloid leukemia). At first I started fainting frequently and I was diagnosed with syncope. My lymph nodes in my neck would get swollen once in a while and I had bad joint pain in my ankles. At one point I had an abscess. I didn't think anything of it so I just waited out the symptoms and they eventually disappeared. A few months later I went for a checkup and my doctor diagnosed me with anemia and wanted more tests done. Five rounds of chemotherapy later I am in remission and heading to transplant. All I can say is if you're diagnosed with leukemia, trust your doctors and keep your hope up and stay as active as possible.

Comment from: scorpioness, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I"ve been having night sweats the last few months. I've been getting very tired very easy and have constant headaches. The doctors tested my blood and discovered my WBC count is slightly high. I'm awaiting more tests to see if it's a confirmation of leukemia.

Comment from: sue, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My brother died only three months ago. Over a couple of weeks, he felt unwell with a cold. He complained of feeling tired, woke up looking very pale, had high temperatures. Finally, he went to the hospital, but he never came home. The team worked on him and couldn't understand why he wasn't responding to treatment. After he died, tests came back that said he had a rare form of leukemia. He never knew he had it. He was a gentle giant, and I miss him so much.

Comment from: blackab, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My mom age 39 was diagnosed with acute leukemia two years ago. She was showing signs of being tired constantly, weight loss, lack of energy, loss of appetite, emotionally depressed, constant headaches, and became pale. She went through chemotherapy. Unfortunately, she was treated too late. The doctors did everything they could. I encourage people who think they have leukemia to see a doctor. My mom was diagnosed and in heaven within three months. I constantly wonder what could have been done for her to be in remission, but sometimes in life only God can control what happens. Everything happens for a reason and she is in a better place now. I would love to help those who are diagnosed with leukemia in any way that I can!

Comment from: pv, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My father was diagnosed with leukemia within a week of his 67th birthday. He had been having a pain in his left leg for 20 days before that. There were no other symptoms. The next day after his birthday, he started developing a fever. This went on for another four days. He experienced fatigue and weakness as well. When the fever wouldn't subside, his doctor asked him to undergo a blood test. There were small red and purple spots on his thighs. He was immediately hospitalized. He passed away the next night, but I'm glad he passed away peacefully without much pain or suffering.

Comment from: Katie40346, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I am wondering if I should get blood tests done. I have random bruising all over my body for no apparent reason and at first I thought I had hives but realize it"s petechia, I also have been consistently losing weight and have been cramping a lot in my foot and legs, and I"ve been tired. I thought this all could be a sign of anemia but it"s gotten progressively worse over the year.

Comment from: lacey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

My symptoms when diagnosed with APL when I was 20 years old, which was in October there were red spots that looked like a rash, extreme nose bleeds, bruising in unusual places like my face and palms of hands, and got to the point where I could not even make it through a shower without having to sit down then go right back to bed and lastly no appetite. After 3 rounds of chemo, 12 weeks of arsenic trioxide treatments, and retinoic acid pills for a year I am in full remission.

Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?