Patient Comments: Leukemia - Symptoms

What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?

Comment from: Lucky, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

In 2000, I reached a point where I couldn't walk across my yard without sitting down to get my breath. I was diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia. I had a transfusion every 10 days to replace my red cells. That was almost nine years ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, so good. It may sound silly, but a positive attitude was my key to winning.

Comment from: snb, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was diagnosed this year with leukemia. I just turned 11 on October 10. My symptoms were swollen lymph notes little red dots on my legs and thighs and easy bruising. My mom thought I was bruising because I played base ball and was really clumsy. I was also tired and had an ear infection. It's really hard but I know I'll get through this.

Comment from: han, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I experience backache, bleeding gums, blood in the stool, blood in urine, difficulty of breathing and fever.

Published: July 16

I experienced tiredness, always wanting to sleep, no appetite, pale around the eyes and feeling very cold straight after having a bath and little lumps around neck.

Published: June 09

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed. She "lacks" the chromosome linked with Leukemia but, after sending her samples off to John Hopkins, they said that she has Leukemia even if she lacks the chromosome. How is this possible? She's started chemo and is already very sick from the treatment.

Comment from: lacey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

My symptoms when diagnosed with APL when I was 20 years old, which was in October there were red spots that looked like a rash, extreme nose bleeds, bruising in unusual places like my face and palms of hands, and got to the point where I could not even make it through a shower without having to sit down then go right back to bed and lastly no appetite. After 3 rounds of chemo, 12 weeks of arsenic trioxide treatments, and retinoic acid pills for a year I am in full remission.

Comment from: Jessy .A.N, Female (Caregiver) Published: May 26

Symptoms experienced is weakness of joint not able to stand without a support and constant low blood fever and pains that has even affected the teeth. Most time there is colour change in the skin that makes the patient look sickly.

Comment from: icequeen4011, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I'm a 38 year old woman who had childhood acute leukemia in the early 80's. I have three children and life is good. I thank god every day for the sick children hospital and how they now put you under for spinal taps. If there is any one who needs a friend while going though this please call on me. I'll be your life line. It is hard, but hang in the god will watch over and the doctors and will try their best may God be with you and your family.

Comment from: leanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was pregnant with my son of 4 months I had really bad pain in my legs and I had bad pain in my chest and fainting, but put it down to pregnancy they picked it up in my bloods when I went for the pregnancy testing I had been sick and going to doctors for 3 months had bone bio and yes ALL. I then had radiotherapy and chemo went in remission had a healthy baby then had a transplant marrow from my sister this was 17 years ago. They say the hormones when pregnant could possibly change the blood, but you never know my son says he saved my life because if I wasn't pregnant I might have known I had it. I still panic when I'm sick or have a blood check, but I have hair and I'm alive.

Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?