Patient Comments: Leukemia - Symptoms

What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?

Comment from: bruiser, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I found a large lump under my arm while in the shower. Before I got the results of the biopsy, I had more lumps on my neck. I had ALL. The chemo was too hard on my body, so I had a bone marrow transplant. I am now perfectly normal.

Comment from: evelyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

The first signs I had of my leukemia were excessive bruising (very unusual: for example in my fingers, hands, arms, stomach, back and legs), a lot of red spots on my face, neck chest area and arms, and a very tiring weakness as if I couldn't get out of bed.

Comment from: Lucky, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

In 2000, I reached a point where I couldn't walk across my yard without sitting down to get my breath. I was diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia. I had a transfusion every 10 days to replace my red cells. That was almost nine years ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, so good. It may sound silly, but a positive attitude was my key to winning.

Comment from: snb, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was diagnosed this year with leukemia. I just turned 11 on October 10. My symptoms were swollen lymph notes little red dots on my legs and thighs and easy bruising. My mom thought I was bruising because I played base ball and was really clumsy. I was also tired and had an ear infection. It's really hard but I know I'll get through this.

Comment from: han, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I experience backache, bleeding gums, blood in the stool, blood in urine, difficulty of breathing and fever.

Published: July 16

I experienced tiredness, always wanting to sleep, no appetite, pale around the eyes and feeling very cold straight after having a bath and little lumps around neck.

Published: June 09

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed. She "lacks" the chromosome linked with Leukemia but, after sending her samples off to John Hopkins, they said that she has Leukemia even if she lacks the chromosome. How is this possible? She's started chemo and is already very sick from the treatment.

Comment from: lacey, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

My symptoms when diagnosed with APL when I was 20 years old, which was in October there were red spots that looked like a rash, extreme nose bleeds, bruising in unusual places like my face and palms of hands, and got to the point where I could not even make it through a shower without having to sit down then go right back to bed and lastly no appetite. After 3 rounds of chemo, 12 weeks of arsenic trioxide treatments, and retinoic acid pills for a year I am in full remission.

Comment from: Jessy .A.N, Female (Caregiver) Published: May 26

Symptoms experienced is weakness of joint not able to stand without a support and constant low blood fever and pains that has even affected the teeth. Most time there is colour change in the skin that makes the patient look sickly.

Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?