Patient Comments: Leukemia - Symptoms

For leukemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Published: June 09

I have a friend who was recently diagnosed. She "lacks" the chromosome linked with Leukemia but, after sending her samples off to John Hopkins, they said that she has Leukemia even if she lacks the chromosome. How is this possible? She's started chemo and is already very sick from the treatment.

Comment from: icequeen4011, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I'm a 38 year old woman who had childhood acute leukemia in the early 80's. I have three children and life is good. I thank god every day for the sick children hospital and how they now put you under for spinal taps. If there is any one who needs a friend while going though this please call on me. I'll be your life line. It is hard, but hang in the god will watch over and the doctors and will try their best may God be with you and your family.

Comment from: leanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I was pregnant with my son of 4 months I had really bad pain in my legs and I had bad pain in my chest and fainting, but put it down to pregnancy they picked it up in my bloods when I went for the pregnancy testing I had been sick and going to doctors for 3 months had bone bio and yes ALL. I then had radiotherapy and chemo went in remission had a healthy baby then had a transplant marrow from my sister this was 17 years ago. They say the hormones when pregnant could possibly change the blood, but you never know my son says he saved my life because if I wasn't pregnant I might have known I had it. I still panic when I'm sick or have a blood check, but I have hair and I'm alive.

Comment from: Male (Caregiver) Published: January 22

My son was 11 when he was diagnosed. He was very active right up to being diagnosed. His main symptom was tiredness and headaches. He had a lot of bruising around his knees but it was wintertime and I didn't see it until he was hospitalized. I wish he would have shown me his legs earlier so that he would have been diagnosed earlier. He is still on chemo after 2 years and doing very well.

Comment from: HOUSEMOMMA3, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was diagnosed with all. I'm currently in remission my symptoms were I was always tired I wanted to sleep all day; I would eat a cup of yogurt and feel full for the rest of the day. I started having trouble walking to my car and being out of breath. I started looking pale and was getting sick a lot more. My menstrual periods were very, very heavy due to the lack of platelets.

Comment from: marizadp, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

A male adult of 52 yrs of age has positive HIV, for more than 3 yrs. and today he was diagnosed with leukemia. What is the survival probability, or acute complications with both sicknesses? This man is my father and I want to know how I can help him.

Comment from: 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 17

I have a daughter 3 years old trying to find answers. Her absolute eosinophil is 889H which is very high. The symptom she has is real loose stool. I did find knots on her neck the doctor tells me it's nothing to worry about. As well as not tell me her eosinophils count was high.

Comment from: Patricia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I was diagnosed in 2006 with leukemia. I went through nine chemotherapy sessions. First I experienced severe anemia. It's a good lesson to follow the doctors once they told you to conduct blood counts. I also experienced vomiting and tiredness.

Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?