Patient Comments: Leukemia - Symptoms

What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?

Comment from: blackab, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My mom age 39 was diagnosed with acute leukemia two years ago. She was showing signs of being tired constantly, weight loss, lack of energy, loss of appetite, emotionally depressed, constant headaches, and became pale. She went through chemotherapy. Unfortunately, she was treated too late. The doctors did everything they could. I encourage people who think they have leukemia to see a doctor. My mom was diagnosed and in heaven within three months. I constantly wonder what could have been done for her to be in remission, but sometimes in life only God can control what happens. Everything happens for a reason and she is in a better place now. I would love to help those who are diagnosed with leukemia in any way that I can!

Comment from: pv, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My father was diagnosed with leukemia within a week of his 67th birthday. He had been having a pain in his left leg for 20 days before that. There were no other symptoms. The next day after his birthday, he started developing a fever. This went on for another four days. He experienced fatigue and weakness as well. When the fever wouldn't subside, his doctor asked him to undergo a blood test. There were small red and purple spots on his thighs. He was immediately hospitalized. He passed away the next night, but I'm glad he passed away peacefully without much pain or suffering.

Comment from: MyLadyofGenki, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My grandpa was just diagnosed with acute leukemia a couple of days ago. He experienced loss of appetite, leg and foot pain (mostly foot pain), throat pain, and fatigue. It came on little by little, we didn't even see it. We thought he was just tired like all people his age. But then, one night, he could hardly breath, he was practically choking, he couldn't hardly walk either. So we took him to the hospital. They took a bone marrow sample from his hip and did regular blood tests (he had diabetes). It took them nearly a week to diagnose him, but by then, he had already begun to die. He's still in the hospital as we speak. He's a very stubborn man, so he refuses to drink or eat anything. He's afraid to get up and go pee. He's making himself worse, every second he's dying a little bit more. But since he's dying anyway, the doctors said to let him do what he wants. So he ripped out his IV and they had to give him a blood transfusion. Every day he gets a new pack of blood. If you're in the hospital with this horrible, horrible cancer, you must drink, you must eat, and you have to sleep, no matter if people are visiting or not. We can't do anything about helping him get better, so you yourself must do everything you can to get better.

Comment from: bruiser, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I found a large lump under my arm while in the shower. Before I got the results of the biopsy, I had more lumps on my neck. I had ALL. The chemo was too hard on my body, so I had a bone marrow transplant. I am now perfectly normal.

Comment from: evelyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

The first signs I had of my leukemia were excessive bruising (very unusual: for example in my fingers, hands, arms, stomach, back and legs), a lot of red spots on my face, neck chest area and arms, and a very tiring weakness as if I couldn't get out of bed.

Comment from: Lucky, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

In 2000, I reached a point where I couldn't walk across my yard without sitting down to get my breath. I was diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia. I had a transfusion every 10 days to replace my red cells. That was almost nine years ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, so good. It may sound silly, but a positive attitude was my key to winning.

Comment from: snb, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was diagnosed this year with leukemia. I just turned 11 on October 10. My symptoms were swollen lymph notes little red dots on my legs and thighs and easy bruising. My mom thought I was bruising because I played base ball and was really clumsy. I was also tired and had an ear infection. It's really hard but I know I'll get through this.

Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?