Patient Comments: Leukemia - Symptoms

What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?

Comment from: scorpioness, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I"ve been having night sweats the last few months. I've been getting very tired very easy and have constant headaches. The doctors tested my blood and discovered my WBC count is slightly high. I'm awaiting more tests to see if it's a confirmation of leukemia.

Comment from: sue, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My brother died only three months ago. Over a couple of weeks, he felt unwell with a cold. He complained of feeling tired, woke up looking very pale, had high temperatures. Finally, he went to the hospital, but he never came home. The team worked on him and couldn't understand why he wasn't responding to treatment. After he died, tests came back that said he had a rare form of leukemia. He never knew he had it. He was a gentle giant, and I miss him so much.

Comment from: blackab, 19-24 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My mom age 39 was diagnosed with acute leukemia two years ago. She was showing signs of being tired constantly, weight loss, lack of energy, loss of appetite, emotionally depressed, constant headaches, and became pale. She went through chemotherapy. Unfortunately, she was treated too late. The doctors did everything they could. I encourage people who think they have leukemia to see a doctor. My mom was diagnosed and in heaven within three months. I constantly wonder what could have been done for her to be in remission, but sometimes in life only God can control what happens. Everything happens for a reason and she is in a better place now. I would love to help those who are diagnosed with leukemia in any way that I can!

Comment from: pv, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 14

My father was diagnosed with leukemia within a week of his 67th birthday. He had been having a pain in his left leg for 20 days before that. There were no other symptoms. The next day after his birthday, he started developing a fever. This went on for another four days. He experienced fatigue and weakness as well. When the fever wouldn't subside, his doctor asked him to undergo a blood test. There were small red and purple spots on his thighs. He was immediately hospitalized. He passed away the next night, but I'm glad he passed away peacefully without much pain or suffering.

Comment from: MyLadyofGenki, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My grandpa was just diagnosed with acute leukemia a couple of days ago. He experienced loss of appetite, leg and foot pain (mostly foot pain), throat pain, and fatigue. It came on little by little, we didn't even see it. We thought he was just tired like all people his age. But then, one night, he could hardly breath, he was practically choking, he couldn't hardly walk either. So we took him to the hospital. They took a bone marrow sample from his hip and did regular blood tests (he had diabetes). It took them nearly a week to diagnose him, but by then, he had already begun to die. He's still in the hospital as we speak. He's a very stubborn man, so he refuses to drink or eat anything. He's afraid to get up and go pee. He's making himself worse, every second he's dying a little bit more. But since he's dying anyway, the doctors said to let him do what he wants. So he ripped out his IV and they had to give him a blood transfusion. Every day he gets a new pack of blood. If you're in the hospital with this horrible, horrible cancer, you must drink, you must eat, and you have to sleep, no matter if people are visiting or not. We can't do anything about helping him get better, so you yourself must do everything you can to get better.

Comment from: bruiser, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I found a large lump under my arm while in the shower. Before I got the results of the biopsy, I had more lumps on my neck. I had ALL. The chemo was too hard on my body, so I had a bone marrow transplant. I am now perfectly normal.

Comment from: evelyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

The first signs I had of my leukemia were excessive bruising (very unusual: for example in my fingers, hands, arms, stomach, back and legs), a lot of red spots on my face, neck chest area and arms, and a very tiring weakness as if I couldn't get out of bed.

Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?