Patient Comments: Leukemia - Symptoms

For leukemia, what were the symptoms and signs you experienced?

Comment from: Jessy .A.N, Female (Caregiver) Published: May 26

Symptoms experienced is weakness of joint not able to stand without a support and constant low blood fever and pains that has even affected the teeth. Most time there is colour change in the skin that makes the patient look sickly.

Comment from: MyLadyofGenki, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 20

My grandpa was just diagnosed with acute leukemia a couple of days ago. He experienced loss of appetite, leg and foot pain (mostly foot pain), throat pain, and fatigue. It came on little by little, we didn't even see it. We thought he was just tired like all people his age. But then, one night, he could hardly breath, he was practically choking, he couldn't hardly walk either. So we took him to the hospital. They took a bone marrow sample from his hip and did regular blood tests (he had diabetes). It took them nearly a week to diagnose him, but by then, he had already begun to die. He's still in the hospital as we speak. He's a very stubborn man, so he refuses to drink or eat anything. He's afraid to get up and go pee. He's making himself worse, every second he's dying a little bit more. But since he's dying anyway, the doctors said to let him do what he wants. So he ripped out his IV and they had to give him a blood transfusion. Every day he gets a new pack of blood. If you're in the hospital with this horrible, horrible cancer, you must drink, you must eat, and you have to sleep, no matter if people are visiting or not. We can't do anything about helping him get better, so you yourself must do everything you can to get better.

Comment from: bruiser, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: April 13

I found a large lump under my arm while in the shower. Before I got the results of the biopsy, I had more lumps on my neck. I had ALL. The chemo was too hard on my body, so I had a bone marrow transplant. I am now perfectly normal.

Comment from: evelyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

The first signs I had of my leukemia were excessive bruising (very unusual: for example in my fingers, hands, arms, stomach, back and legs), a lot of red spots on my face, neck chest area and arms, and a very tiring weakness as if I couldn't get out of bed.

Comment from: Lucky, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 18

In 2000, I reached a point where I couldn't walk across my yard without sitting down to get my breath. I was diagnosed with hairy cell leukemia. I had a transfusion every 10 days to replace my red cells. That was almost nine years ago. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but so far, so good. It may sound silly, but a positive attitude was my key to winning.

Comment from: snb, 7-12 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I was diagnosed this year with leukemia. I just turned 11 on October 10. My symptoms were swollen lymph notes little red dots on my legs and thighs and easy bruising. My mom thought I was bruising because I played base ball and was really clumsy. I was also tired and had an ear infection. It's really hard but I know I'll get through this.

Comment from: han, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I experience backache, bleeding gums, blood in the stool, blood in urine, difficulty of breathing and fever.

Published: July 16

I experienced tiredness, always wanting to sleep, no appetite, pale around the eyes and feeling very cold straight after having a bath and little lumps around neck.

Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?
Leukemia - Types Question: What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?