Patient Comments: Leukemia - Types

What type of leukemia were you, a friend, or relative diagnosed with?

Comment from: Sharon, Female (Patient) Published: September 14

In 2005 I was diagnosed with acute promyelocytic leukemia. I was treated in the hospital for a month and then as an outpatient treated with arsenic trioxide. That was over ten years ago!

Comment from: Colleen, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 09

My dad has had HCL (hairy cell leukemia) for approximately 20 years now and has had chemotherapy 2 times and now is in a trial with vemurafenib but stopped taking it because of side effects. Now he walks but his head and back arch backward like he's doing the limbo and I was wondering if that is a side effect of HCL or the drug he was on. He is 80 years old and was known as the walker so to have this one thing he loves taken away from him breaks my heart. He is going to see a neurologist on the 13th.

Comment from: Kbh, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I have been diagnosed with a rare T-cell leukemia called pro lymphocytic leukemia (TPLL). It was found on routine blood work. No treatment has been effective. I am scared. Right now my only symptom is fatigue. I would love to hear from someone who has this type.

Comment from: 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 14

My son was 4 years going to preschool like any normal child. I think back and remember him having headaches and not eating as much. The last symptom was his leg. He previously hurt it playing with his little brother and father. He started limping on Monday and by Sunday, he couldn't even walk. I took him to the doctor Monday afternoon. I talked to my son's doctor and she said she would run blood tests and do an x-ray. After numerous tests and a bone marrow aspiration, we found out that he had B-Cell ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukemia). He was diagnosed on February 26th 2013 and went into remission 2 weeks later. He is 5 1/2 and has good and bad days. We have 2 1/2 years of treatment and will stay strong. So, the symptoms are headaches, loss of appetite, tiredness, infections, and not healing like you're supposed to. When you have a hurt ankle and it doesn't heal and gets worse then something is wrong.

Leukemia - Symptoms Question: What were your leukemia symptoms and signs?
Leukemia - Treatments Question: What was the treatment for your leukemia?