Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly speaking, leukemia should refer only to cancer of the white blood cells (the leukocytes) but in practice it can apply to malignancy of any cellular element in the blood or bone marrow, as in red cell leukemia (erythroleukemia).
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...learn more »
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...learn more »
Eye floaters are deposits or condensation that forms in the eye's vitreous humor. These deposits cast shadows on the retina, and...learn more »
In This Article
Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) Article
- Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count) definition and facts
- What is thrombocytopenia (low platelet count)?
- What are the symptoms of thrombocytopenia?
- What causes thrombocytopenia?
- Decreased platelet production
- Increased platelet destruction or consumption
- Splenic sequestration
- When should I seek medical care for thrombocytopenia?
- Which specialties of doctors treat thrombycytopenia (low platelet count)?
- How is thrombocytopenia diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for thrombocytopenia (low platelet count)?
- What are the complications of thrombocytopenia?
- Can thrombocytopenia be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for a person with thrombocytopenia (low platelet count)?
In This Article
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE) Article
- Systemic lupus erythematosus facts
- What is systemic lupus erythematosus? What are the types of lupus?
- What are risk factors and causes of systemic lupus erythematosus? Is lupus contagious? Is lupus hereditary?
- What is drug-induced lupus?
- What are lupus symptoms and signs?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose systemic lupus erythematosus?
- What specialties of doctors treat lupus?
- What is the treatment for systemic lupus?
- Is there a systemic lupus erythematosus diet?
- How can a lupus patient help prevent disease
- How can systemic lupus erythematosus affect pregnancy or the newborn?
is the prognosis of lupus? What does the future hold for people with
- Where can one get more information about systemic lupus erythematosus?
In This Article
Enlarged Spleen (Splenomegaly) Article
- Enlarged spleen (splenomegaly) facts
- What is the spleen, and what does it do (function)?
- What type of pain, and where is the pain located with an enlarged spleen?
- What are other signs and symptoms of an enlarged spleen?
- Where is the spleen, and what does it look like?
- What are the causes of an enlarged spleen?
- How is the diagnosis of an enlarged spleen made?
- What is the treatment for an enlarged spleen?
- What complications are associated with an enlarged spleen?
- Can an enlarged spleen be prevented?
- What is the prognosis for someone with an enlarged spleen?