Leukemia is a type of cancer of the blood cells in which the growth and development of the blood cells are abnormal. Strictly speaking, leukemia should refer only to cancer of the white blood cells (the leukocytes) but in practice it can apply to malignancy of any cellular element in the blood or bone marrow, as in red cell leukemia (erythroleukemia).
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...learn more »
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...learn more »
In This Article
Lupus (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or SLE) Article
- Systemic lupus erythematosus facts
- What is systemic lupus erythematosus? What are the different types of lupus?
- What are risk factors and causes of systemic lupus erythematosus? Is lupus contagious? Is lupus hereditary?
- What is drug-induced lupus?
- What are lupus symptoms and signs?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose systemic lupus erythematosus?
- What specialties of health care professionals treat lupus?
- What is the treatment for systemic lupus? Is there a cure for lupus?
- Is there a systemic lupus erythematosus diet?
- How can a lupus patient help prevent disease
- How can systemic lupus erythematosus affect pregnancy or the newborn?
- What is the prognosis of lupus? What does the future hold for people with systemiclupus?
- Where can one get more information about systemic lupus erythematosus?
Night sweats are severe hot flashes that occur at night and result in a drenching sweat. In order to distinguish night sweats...learn more »
Eye floaters are deposits or condensation that forms in the eye's vitreous humor. These deposits cast shadows on the retina, and...learn more »
In This Article
Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma Article
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma facts
- What is non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- What is the difference between non-Hodgkin's lymphoma and Hodgkin's disease (or Hodgkin's lymphoma)?
- What causes non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- What are non-Hodgkin's lymphoma risk factors?
- What are non-Hodgkin's lymphoma symptoms and signs?
- What kind of doctors treat non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- How do physicians diagnose non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- What are the types of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and how is non-Hodgkin's lymphoma staging determined?
- What is the treatment for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- What is the prognosis and survival rate for non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- Is it possible to prevent non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?
- Where can people find more information about non-Hodgkin's lymphoma?