- Bacterial Infections 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Take the Tummy Trouble Quiz
- Hepatitis C Slideshow Pictures
- Patient Comments: Leprosy - Symptoms and Signs
- Patient Comments: Leprosy - Risk Factors
- Leprosy (Hansen's disease) facts
- What is leprosy?
- What is the history of leprosy (Hansen's disease)?
- What causes leprosy?
- What are the risk factors for leprosy?
- What are leprosy early symptoms and signs?
- Are there different forms (classifications) of leprosy?
- How is leprosy transmitted? Is leprosy contagious?
- How do health care professionals diagnose leprosy?
- What health care specialists treat leprosy?
- What is the treatment for leprosy?
- What are the complications of leprosy?
- Is it possible to prevent leprosy?
- What is the prognosis of leprosy?
- Where can I find more information on leprosy?
What is the prognosis of leprosy?
The prognosis of leprosy varies with the stage of the disease when first diagnosed and treated. For example, early diagnosis and treatment limits or prevents tissue damage so the person has a good outcome. However, if the patient's infection has progressed to more advanced disease, the complications listed above can markedly affect the patient's lifestyle, and thus the condition has a fair to poor prognosis.
Where can I find more information on leprosy?
"Leprosy Elimination," World Health Organization
"Hansen's Disease," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Han, X., K. Sizer, E. Thompson, et al. "Comparative Sequence Analysis of Mycobacterium leprae and the New Leprosy-Causing Mycobacterium lepromatosis." J Bacteriol. 191.19 (2009): 6067-6074.
Smith, D. "Leprosy." Medscape.com. May 9, 2016. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/220455-overview>.
Zhang, F., W. Huang, S. Chen, et al. "Genomewide Association Study of Leprosy." N Engl J Med. 361.27 (2009): 2609-2618.