Leishmaniasis is a disease caused by the bite of an infected sand fly. The most common types of leishmania infection are cutaneous and visceral leishmaniasis. Leishmaniasis is found mainly in the subtropics and tropics. Symptoms and signs of cutaneous leishmaniasis include skin sores with a raised edge and central crater, while those with visceral leishmaniasis usually have fever, weight loss, and an enlarged liver and spleen.
Patient Discussions - Viewers share their comments
Swollen Lymph Nodes
Lymph nodes help the body's immune system fight infections. Causes of swollen lymph nodes (glands) may include infection (viral,...learn more »
The word "rash" means an outbreak of red bumps on the body. The way people use this term, "a rash" can refer to many different...learn more »
In This Article
Pregnancy (Week By Week, Trimesters) Article
- Pregnancy definition and facts*
- How many weeks is a normal term pregnancy?
- What is the first trimester of pregnancy (week 1-week 12)?
- What is the second trimester of pregnancy (week 13-week 28)?
- What is the third trimester trimester of pregnancy (week 29-week 40)?
- How will my baby develop week by week?
- What are the changes that happen to a woman's body during the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimester of her pregnancy?
- Body aches
- Breast changes
- Fatigue, sleep problems
- Heartburn and indigestion
- Hemorrhoids during pregnancy
- Leg cramps
- Morning sickness
- Nasal problems
- Numb or tingling hands
- Stretch marks, skin changes
- Urinary frequency and leaking
- Varicose veins
Anemia is the condition of having less than the normal number of red blood cells or less than the normal quantity of hemoglobin...learn more »
Although a fever technically is any body temperature above the normal of 98.6 F (37 C), in practice, a person is usually not...learn more »
In This Article
- Fever facts
- What is a fever?
- What causes a fever?
- What are the signs and symptoms of a fever?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose a fever?
- How should someone take a temperature for fever?
- What is the treatment for a fever?
- What are home remedies for a fever?
- When should someone seek medical care for a fever?
- What kind of doctors treat a fever?
- What are complications of a fever?
- What is the prognosis for a fever?
- Is it possible to prevent a fever?
- Where can people find more information about fevers?