Patient Comments: Legionnaires' Disease - Symptoms

What were the symptoms associated with Legionnaires' disease in you, a friend, or relative?

Comment from: ND Female, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Sickness, headache, high fever, fatigue, confusion, and muscle aches are my symptoms of Legionnaire's disease. I had been on a road trip and I became listless. There was no improvement and my husband took me to walk-in-clinic twice, and the second time the doctor said to go to the emergency room (ER) to be admitted to hospital for pneumonia. I was hospitalized for 1 month in ICU for 10 days. Last week of hospital stay involved rehabilitation, I am learning to walk again. After 1 year I'm still not 100%, I have low back pain, neck pain, and mental slowness with thought processes. I do not know where or how I acquired this bacteria.

Comment from: peachie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I stayed at a hotel and got Legionnaires' disease from the air conditioner. How do I know? I stayed in April in the same room and got sick. I woke up on the 5th day with a terrible sore throat. I had a strep test which was negative so I just assumed it was a virus and treated it as such, that is, lots of rest and liquids, vitamin C, and zinc, etc. I just stayed in the same hotel and voila! I woke up on the 5th day with a terrible sore throat. This time it was too much of a coincidence so I did some research on water since it was a room air conditioner and got tested with a urine antigen before taking any antibiotics. The culture came back positive. I'm not really into taking medications and by the time the culture came back, I was feeling much better... just slight cough. So the only thing I did do was alert the health department in the city I was staying in to check the hotel so others don't get sick.

Comment from: Sabae, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 08

My friend has been taking levofloxacin for five days for legionella pneumonia treatment but still has a fever that is up and down. I don't know when we will see improvement.

Legionnaires' Disease - Causes Question: How did you or someone you know contract Legionnaires' disease? Please share your experience.
Legionnaires' Disease - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, or exams that led to a diagnosis of Legionnaires' disease?
Legionnaires' Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you or someone you know receive for Legionnaires' disease?