Patient Comments: Legionnaires' Disease - Causes

How did you or someone you know contract Legionnaires' disease? Please share your experience.

Comment from: highgrove101, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I contracted Legionnaires' pneumonia at Easter 2015. It is now July and I have been left with the most incredible pain from my neck all the way down my right arm. The pain is numbness, puffiness in the arm, and an extreme ache. I am now on medication to try and control the pain. It is working but my arm feels like a ton of lead sometimes and I feel a little off the air now because of the medication! The symptoms I have had with it are extreme fatigue, breathlessness, chronic muscle aches and pains, bad memory and just no energy. The doctor gave me doxycycline which seems to halve the level within the space of 21 days. It is an awful type of pneumonia and I thought I would share my experience as there is not a lot of information out there about it.

Comment from: raven52, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

The steps from my backyard to the basement door were covered in fungus and algae. I decided to scrape it all off and clean it up and I ended up with Legionnaires' disease. I ended up in the hospital for three days with pneumonia. I needed lots of tests to arrive at the diagnosis. I was given intravenous antibiotics as well as a lot of fluids. I continued taking oral antibiotics at home. It took me a long time to recover.

Comment from: aux, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 24

I had intense tiredness as well as lung pain, dry cough, appetite, light fever and generally while sleeping would soak anything I was wearing. Five weeks on I still have chest ache from the Legionnaires' disease and the lungs are easy irritated by dust.

Legionnaires' Disease - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms associated with Legionnaires' disease in you, a friend, or relative?
Legionnaires' Disease - Diagnosis Question: What were the events, tests, or exams that led to a diagnosis of Legionnaires' disease?
Legionnaires' Disease - Treatment Question: What kinds of treatment, including medication, did you or someone you know receive for Legionnaires' disease?