Patient Comments: Learning Disabilities - Personal Experience

Do you or a relative have a learning disability? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Mathew, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have had a learning disability throughout my child hood. My disability was access, thought a professional specialist, and NSW (New South Wales) education from primary school. At the end of year six I was transferred to a special school due to my diagnosis. I am ashamed and find it hard to accept who I am, being diagnosed a borderline MMR (mild mentally retarded). As I am an adult now I think to myself I have a learning disability but tend to hide it and cannot talk about it to anyone. I know who I am and very sensitive to accept it or not. Deep inside me it hurts me to admit it and knowing the truth. I am a special person who is mentally retarded.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: glassblower51, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 25

We have a daughter with severe learning difficulties and cerebral palsy. She has started having screaming fits, and she bites her hands and lips. This occurs more during the night, which leaves me and my wife at our wits' end. I just wonder if any of your members experience similar problems.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Learning Disability - Diagnosis Question: What testing was effective for diagnosing your learning disability?
Learning Disability - Symptoms and Signs Question: What were some of the signs or symptoms of your child's learning disability?
Learning Disabilities - Treatment Options Question: What kinds of treatment or therapy have been used for your child's learning disabilities?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors