Patient Comments: Larynx Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with larynx cancer.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 17

My husband is a Vietnam Veteran who has been fighting throat cancer for three years, He has had his voice box removed, most of his tongue, lymph nodes in his neck, and upper and lower jaws. He was exposed to Agent Orange and being on aircraft carriers, believes he was exposed to asbestos.

Comment from: IRISHGIRL, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

Hi I was diagnosed 8 months ago I always had sore throats went to the doctor every month. Finally he said to go to ENT Dr. It immediately he said it was larynx cancer he would have to do a biopsy. The results were cancer so I went through radiation for 3 months my head with a mask on it locked to a table also I was receiving chemo I could only do 3 of those I could not handle the chemo it made me too sick. A miracle I was feeling great for three weeks it was totally shrunk now I was losing weight my throat too sore to eat all I did was sleep. After more antibiotics and steroids for 3 more months I had to go to a specialist. Everything went fast tests and cat scans and tests 3 more months surgery full larynx and lymph nodes 2 months later I am walking in to get my prosthesis put in I am amazed to eat again I no longer smoke. I will let you know how it goes. I lost 68 lbs in 9 months I am 5ft 11 I went down to 115 lbs I am told all the cancer is gone. Not talking for 2 months is the most humbling experience. I wish anyone who has to go through this all the best keep positive there will be highs and lows just remember this is one of the few cancers that you can beat.

Published: February 25

I watched my grandma die of larynx and lung cancer, I watched her learn to use the buzzing thing that you place to your neck after she had the laryngeal surgery when they take out your voice box so she could speak again. I watched her fight for 2 years, day by day from chemo, to radiation, to the surgeries. All do to smoking cigarettes. Tell me now smokers, does that sound worth it??

Comment from: teddy62, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My husband smoked for 30 years up to three packs a day and he used to drink a lot as well he is 65 as of December 10, but for the last two years he had a cough which disturbed me to the point that I took it upon myself to call his doctor on the telephone and tell the nurse that my husband has Parkinson's disease and he is not going to ask the doctor to run some series of test on my husband because of his smoking history, well the doctor did not call me and he did not do any testing on my husband, he avoided my request, and did not call me to discuss my concerns he told my husband he was ok and gave him medicine for a cough and a breath thing to breath though so for two years my husband stopped coughing as much and his voice is now hoarse, the doctor gave him antibiotics for ten days and sent him on his way well the antibiotics did nothing for George, so he sent him for testing on his throat the doctor we went to check George and said it looks like cancer but he is having him do an endoscopy and he will remove the growth off his right larynex and do a bio and if it is cancer he will need radiation, I am so hurt behind this because this did not have to get this far if the doctor had respected my wishes.

Comment from: Jay larynx, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

About 15 years ago, I began loosing my voice whenever I'd talk and also constantly coughed without being sick. About 3 years ago I began chocking on fluids only. About a year ago I now begin to choke even when swallowing saliva. I have had a CT of the neck performed and everything seems to be OK. Except there is a number of small nonspecific lymph nodes found in the posterior triangular region and along the intraarticular chain and also in the submandibular and submental regions bilaterally. I don't know what this means, but since I have been welding for about 16 years, I feel that eventually my symptoms may turn into cancer if not already present.

Comment from: Hope, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 25

As same as the first ladies comment my husband was told the same thing now he had the throat camara and the ENT said he sees something witch could very well be cancer so our primary doctor sent us to the cleveland clinic where we have a second opinion on Feb.5th. I would wish after all these years of hoarseness and sore throats it would have been caught earlier he has quit smoking but is depressed and terrified as so am I. I will write more after biopsy.

Larynx Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are the symptoms and signs of your larynx cancer?
Larynx Cancer - Treatment Question: What treatments have you received for your larynx cancer?