Patient Comments: Larynx Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with larynx cancer.

Comment from: 43femalewithCANCER, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx on Sept. 18, 2008 after seeing my family doctor in June, July, and August. My family doctor ran a throat culture and determined that I had a bacterial infection on the throat, and after several rounds of antibiotics, he told me that it was just a bacterial infection, and it would go away on its own. He said I wouldn't have any more problems with it. On the last visit to my family doctor, with severe pain in my throat, he advised me that he couldn't find anything and recommended me to an ENT (ear, nose, throat doctor). On Sept. 11, 2008, I had an appointment with my ENT and he sent me in to get an immediate biopsy of my throat. After the biopsy, he informed my fiancé, and my mother that I do indeed have cancer of the larynx. I am in stage 4 of the cancer, and I have started with the radiation and chemotherapy. I have radiation five days a week now and chemo one day a week. I have also developed thrush in my mouth, tonsils, and tongue and cheeks ... and I am in severe pain. I am uncertain as to how long I have had cancer as I was diagnosed with "just" a bacterial infection after seeing my family doctor for months. I am on my third week of radiation and chemotherapy ... and I am not sure how much longer I will be undergoing both. It terrifies me to know that if I would have been diagnosed sooner, I would more than likely be getting better sooner. Also, I am a 43-year-old female with no children, and at times I feel like a walking pharmacy with all the medicines that I am on.

Comment from: kate, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My husband had been a heavy smoker for many years and developed a hoarse voice, had it for almost a year and thought it was just the smoking. He then noticed a very small lump on the side of his neck. Our GP sent him to an ENT specialist who performed a visual and saw a growth on the larynx. A biopsy was performed and he was diagnosed with stage IV cancer of the larynx and it had spread into cells in the neck. This was in September 2009. The oncologists in our small town decided against surgery (thereby saving his voice box) and opted for chemo and radiation. He had chemo , followed by 7 weeks of daily radiation. A feeding tube was put in his stomach and I fed him through a tube for a year. When he could eat He totally lost all taste, he said everything tasted like cardboard. Now just over 2 years after treatment ended, his voice is normal and some of his taste has returned. Strangely he now doesn't like some foods he used to love and loves some he hated before. Today he went to the hospital for his follow up (scans, X-rays and blood tests) if everything is Ok he does not have to see the cancer doctor for a year.

Comment from: linda, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My husband had larynx cancer and had his voice box removed in July of 2008. In August of 2009, the cancer spread from his spine to his ribs and to his liver. He passed away six weeks later. The doctor was treating him for muscle spasms and never checked him for cancer because he was supposed to be clear of it when they eventually found it again in 2009. They said there was no cure; he was only 50 years old.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx in September. I had surgery to remove the tumor and to remove a small piece under my tongue in October. I started radiation in November thru January. The doctors told me up to July that the cancer was gone. Suddenly, in July the doctor said that the cancer was back. I then had a biopsy and a PET scan to be certain. The cancer was back, I had endoscopic surgery to remove the cancer in November. Well, in February the doctor said that the cancer was back and that they wanted to remove the entire voice box. Well, I don't know what to do because the doctors keep saying that this will take care of the cancer and that will take care of the cancer. I just keep praying that God will tell me what to do next. In the meantime, I am trying to eat foods that slow the growth of cancer, i.e. cabbage, spinach, berries, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.

Comment from: Zahoor, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 05

I have been diagnosed with neoplasm pyriform sinus from a CT Scan. Two biopsies did not confirm it. But from my FODL and history the doctors are convinced it is a malignancy. I am waiting for the tumor to grow and show positive on biopsy as only then the treatment plan will work. But by the time it grows enough to be reported pathologically, I am afraid it will go in a higher stage and the prognosis will decline. What is the answer to that/ can anybody tell? I am a doctor by profession by the way.

Comment from: rafefour, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 05

I have just learned of my dear friend's death 12 years after he died from stage four laryngeal cancer. I do not know all the details of his struggle but the shock of learning of his death so long after the fact has left me with so much guilt of having assumed he would always be there. He was an Art Director in New York and settled upon early retirement in Martinez, California. His influence on me as a young man was profound and has inspired me for all this time. Your journey with this disease and your struggle to survive has taught me a great deal about the value of every life and the bravery of each individual. I appreciate your lives and your stories of strength and humanity.

Larynx Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are the symptoms and signs of your larynx cancer?
Larynx Cancer - Treatment Question: What treatments have you received for your larynx cancer?