Patient Comments: Larynx Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with larynx cancer.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 11

4 years ago I sent my boyfriend to and allergist because his voice was getting very rough and he had a "itch" cough that wouldn't go away. I couldn't stand him suffering if it wasn't necessary. They told us he had cancer of the larynx, it took my breath away. CANCER! We didn't know what to do. The doctors referred him to a cancer doctor, and another and another. It seemed hopeless, but we finally found one that worked. They told him that we caught it early so it looked good. He went in for radiation for 6 weeks. They said it should be gone, it wasn't. So they had him do chemo then 7 more weeks of radiation. It got rid of it alright. He finally got so fried that he coughed up his vocal cords little by little. It was the most painful thing for him and for me. I couldn't do anything to help. He can't even eat now, there's nothing to digest the food. They didn't take us seriously, until he was in the hospital with pneumonia because food and drinks went in his lungs so bad he almost died. He is now on a feeding tube, he can't drink pop, enjoy food or try his son's fresh baked cookies. He pumps in ensure 2 times a day for the rest of his life. He can't even take medicine with out grinding it up and then putting it in his "food", or swallow his own spit! So if you know someone who has been diagnosed with this please tell them how important it is to not smoke, drink, and try to take it slow. Research you doctors and please be involved in they're treatment, patients get lost and tossed to the side so easily. I was there every visit for the first 6 months then he wouldn't let me. I know he felt smothered, but it all went down hill after that.

Comment from: 43femalewithCANCER, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx on Sept. 18, 2008 after seeing my family doctor in June, July, and August. My family doctor ran a throat culture and determined that I had a bacterial infection on the throat, and after several rounds of antibiotics, he told me that it was just a bacterial infection, and it would go away on its own. He said I wouldn't have any more problems with it. On the last visit to my family doctor, with severe pain in my throat, he advised me that he couldn't find anything and recommended me to an ENT (ear, nose, throat doctor). On Sept. 11, 2008, I had an appointment with my ENT and he sent me in to get an immediate biopsy of my throat. After the biopsy, he informed my fianc�, and my mother that I do indeed have cancer of the larynx. I am in stage 4 of the cancer, and I have started with the radiation and chemotherapy. I have radiation five days a week now and chemo one day a week. I have also developed thrush in my mouth, tonsils, and tongue and cheeks ... and I am in severe pain. I am uncertain as to how long I have had cancer as I was diagnosed with "just" a bacterial infection after seeing my family doctor for months. I am on my third week of radiation and chemotherapy ... and I am not sure how much longer I will be undergoing both. It terrifies me to know that if I would have been diagnosed sooner, I would more than likely be getting better sooner. Also, I am a 43-year-old female with no children, and at times I feel like a walking pharmacy with all the medicines that I am on.

Comment from: kate, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 06

My husband had been a heavy smoker for many years and developed a hoarse voice, had it for almost a year and thought it was just the smoking. He then noticed a very small lump on the side of his neck. Our GP sent him to an ENT specialist who performed a visual and saw a growth on the larynx. A biopsy was performed and he was diagnosed with stage IV cancer of the larynx and it had spread into cells in the neck. This was in September 2009. The oncologists in our small town decided against surgery (thereby saving his voice box) and opted for chemo and radiation. He had chemo , followed by 7 weeks of daily radiation. A feeding tube was put in his stomach and I fed him through a tube for a year. When he could eat He totally lost all taste, he said everything tasted like cardboard. Now just over 2 years after treatment ended, his voice is normal and some of his taste has returned. Strangely he now doesn't like some foods he used to love and loves some he hated before. Today he went to the hospital for his follow up (scans, X-rays and blood tests) if everything is Ok he does not have to see the cancer doctor for a year.

Comment from: linda, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 10

My husband had larynx cancer and had his voice box removed in July of 2008. In August of 2009, the cancer spread from his spine to his ribs and to his liver. He passed away six weeks later. The doctor was treating him for muscle spasms and never checked him for cancer because he was supposed to be clear of it when they eventually found it again in 2009. They said there was no cure; he was only 50 years old.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 11

I was diagnosed with cancer of the larynx in September. I had surgery to remove the tumor and to remove a small piece under my tongue in October. I started radiation in November thru January. The doctors told me up to July that the cancer was gone. Suddenly, in July the doctor said that the cancer was back. I then had a biopsy and a PET scan to be certain. The cancer was back, I had endoscopic surgery to remove the cancer in November. Well, in February the doctor said that the cancer was back and that they wanted to remove the entire voice box. Well, I don't know what to do because the doctors keep saying that this will take care of the cancer and that will take care of the cancer. I just keep praying that God will tell me what to do next. In the meantime, I am trying to eat foods that slow the growth of cancer, i.e. cabbage, spinach, berries, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc.

Larynx Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are the symptoms and signs of your larynx cancer?
Larynx Cancer - Treatment Question: What treatments have you received for your larynx cancer?