Patient Comments: Larynx Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with larynx cancer.

Comment from: Senior Counselor, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I had started experiencing hoarseness for about three months. I went to my doctor, and he was amazing. He told me because of my age, and the length of time I had the hoarseness, that it might be cancer. He also told me that he could not be certain without an ENT doctor doing tests on me, so he made the appointment. Sure enough, he was right. I was diagnosed with stage I cancer of the larynx, but because of early diagnosis, I have a 90% chance of recovery. I also had a chance to accept the diagnosis because I was warned so early. If you have any changes in your body or health, go to the doctor, and get it checked out.

Comment from: Splat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am a 43 year old women who has found a lump in my throat. Thirteen years ago I had my thyroid removed and all was said to be fine. Over the last 6 months I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease and now this. I have had a CT scan to determine that a mass is present and awaiting appointment with ENT. I am so very scared. I have an eleven year old son, a wonderful husband, and a job I love. I am worried how this may change my life.

Comment from: rob p, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I have had a hoarse voice for over 3 months and it hurts when I eat or drink. I went in to the ENT unit this evening where the doctor looked down my throat and has found what appears to be a growth. I have to go back next week for real tests. I am preying that it's not cancer. I am so scared. I also have to give up smoking after 20 years just like that. These are going to be the longest weeks of my life.

Comment from: mike easton, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I've got phlegm but it's not too thick and my throat is sore and I'm swallowing ok but the breathing is a little bit difficult.

Comment from: Avic Vera, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 13

My mother had an operation in her larynx due to a mass (3/4 big) which prevented her from breathing well. Previous checkups showed that she had an asthma until her Doctor had a bronchoscopy which he saw the mass. It was Stage 3 and she was immediately operated after 5 days. She had a successful operation and the Doctor kept the voice box intact and explained that she will undergo radiation after a month. She was recovering fast but had difficulty with her cough due to mucus which according to the Doctor was normal due to the foreign body which was the tube in her throat. Unfortunately, 13 days after her operation, she had a cough and it had a blood on it. Immediately more blood followed and knowing that my mother had a high blood pressure she must have been so nervous. Unfortunately, she was declared dead on arrival in the hospital. It was a sad experience since we only knew it a few days before her operation hoping she will get well. I know she is already in heaven and rest in peace. My mother was a teacher so we were thinking that the cancer maybe due to continued used of her voice in her classroom, one factor was the chalk used in writing in the black board, she was also a passive smoker since my father and brother were smokers and lastly, after her retirement, she took care of our rice field which the doctor said could have triggered the asthma. I hope you learned something from my experience with my dear mother. Please do take care of your mother and father.

Comment from: Misty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have been hoarse on and off for a long time but put my husky voice down to smoking nothing more sinister. In May I had a holiday booked with my sisters for 10 days and 2 weeks before it. I got a sore throat and ear on the left side. I went to the GP who could see nothing wrong but referred me to an ENT because of the loss of voice which I have to say dampened my holiday a lot. They rang me with an appointment which would have been during the holiday but gave me another for June 2nd he referred me on for further investigation which happened very quickly. I was taken in the following Tuesday for biopsies of the area, after it I was told I was borderline of the larynx cancer and would get the results of the biopsies in 3 weeks. I have to say that will be a week ago tomorrow (but feels like a lifetime). I have cut down on smoking but find it really difficult to stop and having to wait 3 weeks on results is not helping as I am stressed out. Will post more after the results.

Larynx Cancer - Symptoms and Signs Question: What are the symptoms and signs of your larynx cancer?
Larynx Cancer - Treatment Question: What treatments have you received for your larynx cancer?