- Cancer 101 Pictures Slideshow
- Breast Cancer Slideshow
- Skin Cancer Slideshow
- Patient Comments: Larynx Cancer - Describe Your Experience
- Patient Comments: Larynx Cancer - Symptoms and Signs
- Find a local Oncologist in your town
- Throat cancer (larynx cancer) facts*
- What is throat (larynx) cancer?
- What causes throat cancer?
- What are the risk factors for throat cancer?
- What are the types of larynx (throat) cancer?
- What are the symptoms and signs of throat cancer?
- How do health-care professionals diagnose throat cancer?
- How is throat cancer staging determined?
- What kinds of specialists treat throat cancer?
- What is the treatment for throat cancer?
- Are there home remedies for throat (larynx) cancer?
- What kind of support is available for those with throat cancer?
- What is the prognosis for patients with throat cancer?
- Is it possible to prevent throat cancer?
Quick GuideUnderstanding Cancer: Metastasis, Stages of Cancer, and More
Is it possible to prevent throat cancer?
Although general throat cancer screening is not available, those individuals that are at higher risk for throat cancer may need to see their physicians if any signs and symptoms raise suspicion of throat cancer. Consequently, those who are at increased risk such as individuals who smoke or who may have been exposed to HPV, asbestos, nickel, or sulfuric acid fumes are at higher risk. Avoiding such risky situations can reduce the risk of throat cancer but there is no guarantee that it can be prevented. However, one excellent way to reduce the cancer risk is to have young men and women vaccinated against HPV.
"Laryngeal and Hypopharyngeal Cancer." American Cancer Society. Feb. 17, 2016.
"Throat Cancer." M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. 2015.