Patient Comments: Larynx Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with larynx cancer.

Published: February 25

I watched my grandma die of larynx and lung cancer, I watched her learn to use the buzzing thing that you place to your neck after she had the laryngeal surgery when they take out your voice box so she could speak again. I watched her fight for 2 years, day by day from chemo, to radiation, to the surgeries. All do to smoking cigarettes. Tell me now smokers, does that sound worth it??

Comment from: teddy62, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My husband smoked for 30 years up to three packs a day and he used to drink a lot as well he is 65 as of December 10, but for the last two years he had a cough which disturbed me to the point that I took it upon myself to call his doctor on the telephone and tell the nurse that my husband has Parkinson's disease and he is not going to ask the doctor to run some series of test on my husband because of his smoking history, well the doctor did not call me and he did not do any testing on my husband, he avoided my request, and did not call me to discuss my concerns he told my husband he was ok and gave him medicine for a cough and a breath thing to breath though so for two years my husband stopped coughing as much and his voice is now hoarse, the doctor gave him antibiotics for ten days and sent him on his way well the antibiotics did nothing for George, so he sent him for testing on his throat the doctor we went to check George and said it looks like cancer but he is having him do an endoscopy and he will remove the growth off his right larynex and do a bio and if it is cancer he will need radiation, I am so hurt behind this because this did not have to get this far if the doctor had respected my wishes.

Comment from: Jay larynx, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

About 15 years ago, I began loosing my voice whenever I'd talk and also constantly coughed without being sick. About 3 years ago I began chocking on fluids only. About a year ago I now begin to choke even when swallowing saliva. I have had a CT of the neck performed and everything seems to be OK. Except there is a number of small nonspecific lymph nodes found in the posterior triangular region and along the intraarticular chain and also in the submandibular and submental regions bilaterally. I don't know what this means, but since I have been welding for about 16 years, I feel that eventually my symptoms may turn into cancer if not already present.

Comment from: Hope, 45-54 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 25

As same as the first ladies comment my husband was told the same thing now he had the throat camara and the ENT said he sees something witch could very well be cancer so our primary doctor sent us to the cleveland clinic where we have a second opinion on Feb.5th. I would wish after all these years of hoarseness and sore throats it would have been caught earlier he has quit smoking but is depressed and terrified as so am I. I will write more after biopsy.

Comment from: Cecilio, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: February 25

My husband was treated with chemo and radiation for cancer of the trachea. After treatment he became very short of breath and they had to perform a tracheotomy since his vocal cords seem to have been damaged and they barely open. The flap that covers the trachea and the esophagus does not open and close and the liquid and small particles of food that he drinks seeps to the trachea causing him to be cough quite a bit. He also has a tremendous amount of phlegm which leaks from the stoma and he also has to be suctioned.