Patient Comments: Larynx Cancer - Describe Your Experience

Question:Please describe your experience with larynx cancer.

Comment from: Senior Counselor, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I had started experiencing hoarseness for about three months. I went to my doctor, and he was amazing. He told me because of my age, and the length of time I had the hoarseness, that it might be cancer. He also told me that he could not be certain without an ENT doctor doing tests on me, so he made the appointment. Sure enough, he was right. I was diagnosed with stage I cancer of the larynx, but because of early diagnosis, I have a 90% chance of recovery. I also had a chance to accept the diagnosis because I was warned so early. If you have any changes in your body or health, go to the doctor, and get it checked out.

Comment from: Splat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am a 43 year old women who has found a lump in my throat. Thirteen years ago I had my thyroid removed and all was said to be fine. Over the last 6 months I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease and now this. I have had a CT scan to determine that a mass is present and awaiting appointment with ENT. I am so very scared. I have an eleven year old son, a wonderful husband, and a job I love. I am worried how this may change my life.

Comment from: rob p, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 04

I have had a hoarse voice for over 3 months and it hurts when I eat or drink. I went in to the ENT unit this evening where the doctor looked down my throat and has found what appears to be a growth. I have to go back next week for real tests. I am preying that it's not cancer. I am so scared. I also have to give up smoking after 20 years just like that. These are going to be the longest weeks of my life.

Comment from: mike easton, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 05

I've got phlegm but it's not too thick and my throat is sore and I'm swallowing ok but the breathing is a little bit difficult.

Comment from: Avic Vera, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 13

My mother had an operation in her larynx due to a mass (3/4 big) which prevented her from breathing well. Previous checkups showed that she had an asthma until her Doctor had a bronchoscopy which he saw the mass. It was Stage 3 and she was immediately operated after 5 days. She had a successful operation and the Doctor kept the voice box intact and explained that she will undergo radiation after a month. She was recovering fast but had difficulty with her cough due to mucus which according to the Doctor was normal due to the foreign body which was the tube in her throat. Unfortunately, 13 days after her operation, she had a cough and it had a blood on it. Immediately more blood followed and knowing that my mother had a high blood pressure she must have been so nervous. Unfortunately, she was declared dead on arrival in the hospital. It was a sad experience since we only knew it a few days before her operation hoping she will get well. I know she is already in heaven and rest in peace. My mother was a teacher so we were thinking that the cancer maybe due to continued used of her voice in her classroom, one factor was the chalk used in writing in the black board, she was also a passive smoker since my father and brother were smokers and lastly, after her retirement, she took care of our rice field which the doctor said could have triggered the asthma. I hope you learned something from my experience with my dear mother. Please do take care of your mother and father.

Comment from: Misty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have been hoarse on and off for a long time but put my husky voice down to smoking nothing more sinister. In May I had a holiday booked with my sisters for 10 days and 2 weeks before it. I got a sore throat and ear on the left side. I went to the GP who could see nothing wrong but referred me to an ENT because of the loss of voice which I have to say dampened my holiday a lot. They rang me with an appointment which would have been during the holiday but gave me another for June 2nd he referred me on for further investigation which happened very quickly. I was taken in the following Tuesday for biopsies of the area, after it I was told I was borderline of the larynx cancer and would get the results of the biopsies in 3 weeks. I have to say that will be a week ago tomorrow (but feels like a lifetime). I have cut down on smoking but find it really difficult to stop and having to wait 3 weeks on results is not helping as I am stressed out. Will post more after the results.

Comment from: No More Old No. 7, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 01

I am a 53 married male. Five weeks ago I went to see my GP to follow up on some blood work that I was suppose to take care of 6 months earlier and because the glands in my neck were swollen. The doctor sent me in for blood work and an ultrasound. My blood work was normal, but the ultrasound showed a mass. Two days later during an ultrasound guided biopsy they found a second mass. Both masses were non-small cell carcinomas. My GP sent me to a EMT surgeon. The EMT doctor found the primary source of my cancer at the back of my tongue and against my voice box. Two days later I was in the operating room for another biopsy and possible surgery, but doctors elected not to do surgery due to the cancer was attached to my voice box. Since that time (10 days) I have had a PET scan, a PICC line installed and have met with both a radiation doctor and chemo doctor. I am scheduled to have a feeding tube put in next week and to start chemo and radiation on Tuesday. I am scheduled for radiation treatment 5 days a week for 7 weeks and chemo every three weeks for four treatments. If chemo and radiation cannot kill the cancer I am prepared for surgery and to have my voice box and the cancer removed. I only smoked for a short while (1 1/2 years) and have quit smoking since. I have not drank any alcohol for 14 months, but I was a very heavy drinker prior to that. I drank for 40 years, 25 of that heavily and the healthcare professionals I have spoke with have told me that the alcohol is the biggest contributor of my cancer. I am positive for HPV and as I understand it that helped my survival chances because the HPV virus seems to get effected by the chemo and radiation well. I am in good physical condition, I have a strong support group and I have a very positive attitude regarding this. Thank God I am sober and thank God that I found God before I was faced with cancer. While I was drinking I didn't care if I lived or died, now that I am sober and have a new way to live I want to live. With the help of loving friends, family, good doctors and faith in God I will make it.

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.