Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: SusaninPortugal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I am 61 years old, and have been in a choir most of my life. I have had various types of laryngitis over my life; usually following a cold or flu. Back in the first week of April this year, I caught a dry cough and a mild cold. The cough took ages to clear but I was fine about 2 weeks or so ago. I woke on Sunday with a dry throat, and was a bit croaky. This cleared after a few drinks over a few hours. However Monday I was croaky and hoarse all day, and unfortunately had a long choir rehearsal that night. I tried my best not to sing much though. Yesterday Tuesday, my voice was almost totally gone. Even whispering is now impossible. I went to choir again, but never sang. In the past I have always been able to sing, if not talk, if really necessary e.g., a concert! I am really worried now because I need to sing on Sunday as we have a long concert! Looks like I am going to be steaming by brains out for the next 5 days. I have some medicine given to me by the pharmacist along with some chewy gums that do seem to be soothing the edge of this. Fingers crossed for Sunday!

Comment from: salexanderpac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I had laryngitis in February after sinus cold for about 3 days and was given prednisone taper by urgent care. I never had laryngitis before then, but now it's 3 months later and had laryngitis 6 days ago followed by 3 days with voice back but very bad sore throat and now have laryngitis again. I'm an addiction psychiatry physician's assistant and need to talk for work. If I don't show up, patients that decided that day was the day to get clean don't have someone to start their treatment. It hurts my heart not being able to help those asking for it. I don't know why I keep getting laryngitis (don't smoke, don't sing, don't have upper respiratory infection each time) but have a profound gratefulness for days I have my voice and can help. Just hope I don't lose it for very long.

Comment from: Cayo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I got laryngitis after singing in church choir on Sunday, but believe it's not due to singing a lot, as it was my normal amount of singing every Sunday. I believe, it is also allergy related, as I was outside over weekend in the garden. I have been diagnosed with asthma before but hate using inhaler, so usually stay indoors during spring. What is odd, this is the first time I ever lose voice totally, usually just hoarse, but this time no voice going on 3 days! My tonsils look inflamed. If not getting better by Thursday, I may schedule a doctor's appointment.

Comment from: GritsGirl52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I just returned from a cruise where the weather was in the 80s to temperatures in the 30s. My throat began to be affected within a few hours, and by night, I had full blown laryngitis. Now I am into the 6th day and throat is sore. I have been gargling with salt water and taking OTC sinus medicines which are bothering me too.

Comment from: Maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have had laryngitis for almost three weeks now. I do have a terrible cough, but I have had this cough for 27 years and never lost my voice.

Comment from: ljm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had laryngitis for 8 weeks now. Doctor hasn't given me anything despite me going in twice; 3rd time tomorrow. Referral booked but not until 25.11.15 (today is 07.10.15). I am drinking plenty of fluids and trying to rest my voice; and I am working full time.

Comment from: tony s., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I have been singing professionally for years in the UK with no problems, then I moved to Tenerife, Spain. Now every time I do a show I lose my voice for days, sometimes weeks. I have tried all sorts of medication but nothing seems to help. I wonder if my laryngitis could be because of the change in climate.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.