Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: Cayo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I got laryngitis after singing in church choir on Sunday, but believe it's not due to singing a lot, as it was my normal amount of singing every Sunday. I believe, it is also allergy related, as I was outside over weekend in the garden. I have been diagnosed with asthma before but hate using inhaler, so usually stay indoors during spring. What is odd, this is the first time I ever lose voice totally, usually just hoarse, but this time no voice going on 3 days! My tonsils look inflamed. If not getting better by Thursday, I may schedule a doctor's appointment.

Comment from: GritsGirl52, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I just returned from a cruise where the weather was in the 80s to temperatures in the 30s. My throat began to be affected within a few hours, and by night, I had full blown laryngitis. Now I am into the 6th day and throat is sore. I have been gargling with salt water and taking OTC sinus medicines which are bothering me too.

Comment from: Maggie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I have had laryngitis for almost three weeks now. I do have a terrible cough, but I have had this cough for 27 years and never lost my voice.

Comment from: ljm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had laryngitis for 8 weeks now. Doctor hasn't given me anything despite me going in twice; 3rd time tomorrow. Referral booked but not until 25.11.15 (today is 07.10.15). I am drinking plenty of fluids and trying to rest my voice; and I am working full time.

Comment from: tony s., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I have been singing professionally for years in the UK with no problems, then I moved to Tenerife, Spain. Now every time I do a show I lose my voice for days, sometimes weeks. I have tried all sorts of medication but nothing seems to help. I wonder if my laryngitis could be because of the change in climate.

Comment from: ttaylor, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

I have just started taking see Suboxone, and since taking it I have been having severe upper abdominal cramps. I am wondering if this medication is causing this.

Comment from: jchristie2005, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had laryngitis now going on 5th day. I work in a call center which is not conducive to not tailing. I have been off work for 5 days. I have also been to the doctor and had to go back to work today but still have hoarse voice. I was put on Z-Pak from doctor but still no improvement. I have been doing hot liquids and ice cream as well but so far not much has been working. Hope this is done soon.

Comment from: DDO, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

I am a registered nurse and I have laryngitis again and have had it for the past 5 days. I just had it in December after contracting a cold or the flu, not sure which but it also went into my throat then! I'm on my 4th day of prednisone but am so frustrated by this condition because I can't work. I'm drinking 'throat coat' tea like it's going out of style, sucking throat lozenges, running my humidifier, sitting in the steam room; the list goes on and on. I want my voice back!

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.