Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: Fukutaichou, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I"ve had chronic laryngitis for a year. I"ve stopped singing since then, which is very frustrating. When I had it checked the doctor said that it couldn"t be throat cancer. Therefore, I have nothing to worry about. But I still feel the swelling in the throat. I"ve taken artificial medication and herbal supplements, and yet, it won"t go away. It feels like my throat is a flat tire. It gets exhausted easily and I can"t reach the high ranges that I used to sing.

Comment from: Fallen Angel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I seem to be getting laryngitis more and more often. I'm 30, a single parent to my 10 year old daughter. This recent bout is the worse! It started as sinusitis which I had for 3 weeks, then 3 days ago my throat and upper chest started aching. Day 3 and I woke up at 4AM struggling to breathe. My throat was very painful but the worse thing was the feeling that my windpipe was closing over! This was very scary as I've never experienced these symptoms so bad. It was an absolute nightmare and made me feel like a child whilst trying to speak over the phone! Day 4 today, (on antibiotics) and I'm scared of going to bed. I don't want to wake up struggling to breathe, especially when I'm by myself.

Comment from: Weak, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've had laryngitis for 5 days now. My breathing is getting better. But I still feel so weak. I just want to be in bed all the time. I've been off work for a week now. I am wondering how long this is going to take before I am better.

Comment from: awilife43, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I don't think it is good medical advice when you say that most cases of Laryngitis don't require a visit to the doctor, when you're also saying that it may due to a Stroke or other serious diseases. While Laryngitis is NOT a serious medical concern, it doesn't hurt to go the doctor to rule out other potentially deadly illness like a stroke or pneumonia.

Comment from: Mir22, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

This past year I seem to get reoccurring laryngitis. I am not a smoker and do not have a cold with it. Gargling with warm salt water and stoking tea with honey seems to help a little but won't go away! This time I've had it over a week.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with asthma at age 53 and recently caught laryngitis which turned into pneumonia. I am wondering if it was caused by an exposure to a farmers manure fertilizer so potent that it gave me an asthma attack while at work outside during recess.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I never got laryngitis and lost my voice when I coughed a lot until a few years ago. Now whenever I have any bug that makes me cough I end up losing the ability to talk in normal tones and ranges sporadically during and following the episode.

Comment from: Throaty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

In September of 2009, I had a bad head cold that quickly turned into bronchitis. The doctor gave me a steroid and antibiotic. The symptoms all subsided within a few weeks except for the laryngitis. I was not over the laryngitis yet when I came down with another very severe cold with almost the exact same symptoms. This was in January of 2010. There was a lot of drainage down my throat but very little coughing. I was given the same drugs and had the same results that left me with laryngitis that was so bad I couldn't talk at all for three days. Most of my voice has returned now (June 2010) except I still have a very raspy throat and feel very winded when I talk. After the first cold, the doctor told me I had acid reflux and treated me with medication for reflux. I told the doctor I didn't think I had reflux as I have no other symptoms except the laryngitis, but I did as I was told. After the second cold, another doctor again told me it was acid reflux and sent me to a throat specialist. He said to continue on the medication for acid reflux and put me on a special diet of no alcohol, citrus, spicy foods, cheese, no snacks at night and raised the head of the bed 6 inches. He had checked my vocal chords, which were red and swollen. There were no nodules or sign of cancer. He also told me to take pills to reduce mucus and allergy pills even though I have never been diagnosed with allergy problems. None of the medications for acid reflux or other pills have helped. I am going to see another throat specialist tomorrow. I'm about ready to accept the fact that I will always have a raspy throat. Bummer!

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.