Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: Barbara A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am now into 3 months with chronic laryngitis. Had it last year for 9 weeks. I am taking acid reflux stuff again, touch wood, they are not making me ill like the last lot. I finally got a referral to ENT in 10 days. I am taking herbal things to hopefully improve my immune system, tried all the usual - rest, steam inhalation, etc., but to no avail. I am sick and fed up of straining to have a conversation and I miss singing, I only do it at home but it makes me feel happy. I've been off work for weeks as for the most part have felt run down, tight chested and generally unwell. Will see what next week brings...

Comment from: Fukutaichou, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I"ve had chronic laryngitis for a year. I"ve stopped singing since then, which is very frustrating. When I had it checked the doctor said that it couldn"t be throat cancer. Therefore, I have nothing to worry about. But I still feel the swelling in the throat. I"ve taken artificial medication and herbal supplements, and yet, it won"t go away. It feels like my throat is a flat tire. It gets exhausted easily and I can"t reach the high ranges that I used to sing.

Comment from: Fallen Angel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I seem to be getting laryngitis more and more often. I'm 30, a single parent to my 10 year old daughter. This recent bout is the worse! It started as sinusitis which I had for 3 weeks, then 3 days ago my throat and upper chest started aching. Day 3 and I woke up at 4AM struggling to breathe. My throat was very painful but the worse thing was the feeling that my windpipe was closing over! This was very scary as I've never experienced these symptoms so bad. It was an absolute nightmare and made me feel like a child whilst trying to speak over the phone! Day 4 today, (on antibiotics) and I'm scared of going to bed. I don't want to wake up struggling to breathe, especially when I'm by myself.

Comment from: shankaraiah, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I have been suffering for six months with the irritation and cough in the throat and I consulted physicians. One said that it is acid reflux and prescribed tablet pantoprazole for one month, but it was not cured. Then I met another doctor who told me that it may be an allergy and prescribed tablet doxycycline and tablet levocetirizine for ten days and when I went for a second time he prescribed tablet azithromycin and tablet levocetirizine for another ten days, but I am still suffering. If I talk loud my voice will go away.

Comment from: Weak, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've had laryngitis for 5 days now. My breathing is getting better. But I still feel so weak. I just want to be in bed all the time. I've been off work for a week now. I am wondering how long this is going to take before I am better.

Comment from: awilife43, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I don't think it is good medical advice when you say that most cases of Laryngitis don't require a visit to the doctor, when you're also saying that it may due to a Stroke or other serious diseases. While Laryngitis is NOT a serious medical concern, it doesn't hurt to go the doctor to rule out other potentially deadly illness like a stroke or pneumonia.

Comment from: Mir22, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

This past year I seem to get reoccurring laryngitis. I am not a smoker and do not have a cold with it. Gargling with warm salt water and stoking tea with honey seems to help a little but won't go away! This time I've had it over a week.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.