Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: ljm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have had laryngitis for 8 weeks now. Doctor hasn't given me anything despite me going in twice; 3rd time tomorrow. Referral booked but not until 25.11.15 (today is 07.10.15). I am drinking plenty of fluids and trying to rest my voice; and I am working full time.

Comment from: tony s., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 15

I have been singing professionally for years in the UK with no problems, then I moved to Tenerife, Spain. Now every time I do a show I lose my voice for days, sometimes weeks. I have tried all sorts of medication but nothing seems to help. I wonder if my laryngitis could be because of the change in climate.

Comment from: jchristie2005, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had laryngitis now going on 5th day. I work in a call center which is not conducive to not tailing. I have been off work for 5 days. I have also been to the doctor and had to go back to work today but still have hoarse voice. I was put on Z-Pak from doctor but still no improvement. I have been doing hot liquids and ice cream as well but so far not much has been working. Hope this is done soon.

Comment from: DDO, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

I am a registered nurse and I have laryngitis again and have had it for the past 5 days. I just had it in December after contracting a cold or the flu, not sure which but it also went into my throat then! I'm on my 4th day of prednisone but am so frustrated by this condition because I can't work. I'm drinking 'throat coat' tea like it's going out of style, sucking throat lozenges, running my humidifier, sitting in the steam room; the list goes on and on. I want my voice back!

Comment from: liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I started with cold symptoms, scratchy throat, two weeks ago. Then I started getting a little hoarse, but felt fine. Now, I have full blown laryngitis! I've noticed I have a dry cough at night and some congestion in my throat, feel feverish too. I wonder if it's bacterial and may need an antibiotic.

Comment from: Pugs46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I came down with laryngitis and not able to speak loudly. First time I've ever had it. Hope it's not from something bad.

Comment from: Dr Vakily, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I have a sore throat, difficulty swallowing, runny nose, loss of voice and cough with laryngitis.

Comment from: Rosemary1977, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have severe hay fever, even after years of desensitization. I've had laryngitis before, but not to the extent that it is now. My hay fever symptoms started 2 weeks ago. Within 3 days, I was on antibiotics for sinus and ear infections. There was also a sore throat. I always have taken antihistamines, nasal and asthma inhalers. I am also on prednisone. My voice just stopped working yesterday. It was gravelly at first, but has totally failed. I had just signed a thirteen week contract for travel nursing. My employer does not know I can't talk above a whisper.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.