Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: Dr Vakily, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I have a sore throat, difficulty swallowing, runny nose, loss of voice and cough with laryngitis.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have dry cough with laryngitis; always seem to have this with cold.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with asthma at age 53 and recently caught laryngitis which turned into pneumonia. I am wondering if it was caused by an exposure to a farmers manure fertilizer so potent that it gave me an asthma attack while at work outside during recess.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I never got laryngitis and lost my voice when I coughed a lot until a few years ago. Now whenever I have any bug that makes me cough I end up losing the ability to talk in normal tones and ranges sporadically during and following the episode.

Comment from: Linford, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I lost my voice for three weeks last year and as a result of that I was off sick from work for four weeks. Since then I have lost my voice four more times.

Comment from: linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I just got over a sinus infection and now I have Larngitis. I was talking yesterday and then all of the sudden I couldn't talk, it felt like my voice broke.

Comment from: NoWhisperer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My laryngitis is an annual visitor. This is the third time in three years! My mistake was thinking that I could whisper. Oops! I just read the articles and found out that I was wrong. I'm a teacher, so I'm out for a day and a half, but my recovery time has typically been a few days. I have a sore throat, fever, and total loss of voice.

Comment from: vicster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have had laryngitis for about 3 months now. I have thyroid disease and went to see my endocrinologist 3 weeks ago. She ordered a thyroid ultrasound and even though my thyroid is enlarged, I am told it is not the cause. I now have an apptointment with an ENT next week to see what they say. I am frustrated and concerned. In the end of June, I woke up one morning and noticed a huge change in my voice. I thought I was getting a cold. Never got sick and it has progressively got worse. I have a hard time even having a conversation anymore because I have to strain so much just to talk and I constantly feel like I have a lump in my throat and sometimes have to spit. I also have a very dry cough when I try to talk too much.

Comment from: TessaRosee, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

So I have Laryngitis and to top it off I have Strep Throat. It's horrible! I can't sleep, eat, talk, spit up cause it hurts so bad. I'm so frustrated.

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had to leave our home because we had a tornado in our town and our electricity was off for 11 days. We were in the middle of a heat wave on top of it so we went to our son's for 4 or 5 days. We watched our 5 year old great granddaughter, and she had a cough and runny nose. Well we muddled our way through this terrible event and no sooner got home when I woke up with a sore throat. We ate in a freezing restaurant and I immediately got laryngitis. The third day I go to the doctor. She put me on a Z-Pak and Claritin, and lots of water. Here's hoping I feel better tomorrow. I don't have much of an appetite and I have coughing fits. I've had this four times the past year.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.