Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: amanda97355, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had continuous laryngitis for about five years now, and I consistently get it about 15 to 20 times in one year. This is very annoying for me and my employers. I repeatedly miss work because of it.

Comment from: Diamondgirl2009, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have had laryngitis for six weeks now and I believe that it is caused from the reflux acid coming from my stomach. I am unable to breath at times. This condition makes it feel as if my throat is closing up completely. Then when I eat, my throat starts closing again because I have put something in the air way, so I have to keep coughing very, very hard until I get something up to clear my air way. Usually what comes up is dead skin from my throat. I also have the acid come up, which strangles me and I feel as if I am never going to catch my breath again. When I finally do catch my breath, my face is red and my heart is beating very hard. I have had a nosebleed after trying to catch my breath. I have also had bad chest pains. I had to take two nitros the other day just to calm down my chest. It felt as if I was going to have a heart attack. My whole chest was in pain and a strong pressure was on it. Thank God it finally calmed down.

Comment from: Joanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I went to High Sierra mountains on an ATV. I inhaled lots of dust, woke up unable to swallow, raspy voice led to no voice. I went to the doctor. Z-Pak. It's been three days without a voice, and just learned not to whisper. It hurts my voice box more than trying to talk. No sore throat, just dry cough, taking Mucinex just in case. Never thought I would miss talking, but I do.

Comment from: dobrodave, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I have just been diagnosed with chronic laryngitis, and the treatment is a 2 month course of anti-acid drugs. I have never heard anything like it. I am a singer and am very aware of my throat and take great care not to over stretch it. I have ear-ache and pains in my Adams apple when I attempt to sing. I will be absolutely amazed if this treatment works.

Comment from: revason, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

I was exposed to a smoky fireplace at Christmas .I then experienced congested nose and lots of phlegm. I used my vaporizer at night to alleviate this feeling. I lost my voice and now I suffer from laryngitis .My home remedy was salt solution gargle and lots of liquids to drink including boiled garlic and honey but no relief. Not a smoker and suffering from constant clearing of the throat. I am suspecting that I am allergic to wood smoke because at New Years I had the same exposure. Now I have developed pink eyes due to constant washing of my face to relieve the burning sensation. I need to see the doctor and get some relief. It could either be caused by allergy, viral infection or bacteria.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

Flying is the cause of my current laryngitis. After an initial 2 hour flight I awoke with tightness in my upper respiratory tract. A week later I flew from northern to southern hemisphere over 28 hours total in transit and flight time. The dehydration that occurs whilst flying and lack of real sleep plus overall stress on the body ended in laryngitis. I drank lots of water in flight and since arriving at destination but feel rest and possibly Vit C will be the best help. My glands are not swollen but I still feel a bit chesty.

Comment from: SMoore67, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have a very weak larynx it seems. I have been getting laryngitis easier and easier these days. This time I didn't even have to cough half a day and I lost my voice. The docs thought at first it was anesthesia but no it was little old virus. I wish I knew why my voice is the first to go. I can't even say "boo" and it has been going on since last Friday. I need to get better!!

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I believe that the onset of my laryngitis came from the stress that I have been under. I have had flu-like symptoms including: fever, chills, aches, and sweating. I also have very swollen glands/lymph nodes in my neck that are sensitive to the touch. This causes pain in my neck when moved. I have had these symptoms for about five days now, and have not taken any form of medication. I have increased my vitamin C intake as well as keep a bottle of water with me at all times. I have also continued with my normal running routine as I try to sweat the fever out.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.