Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: Willow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have had laryngitis for one week now, and I believe that it is caused from the stress that I'm under. I saw my doctor last Friday as I thought I had pneumonia because my chest and back were hurting. Instead, I found out that I had strained my muscles from coughing. Also, I found out that there is something in my throat, and I have to keep coughing very, very hard until I get something up to clear my airway. When I finally do catch my breath, my face is red and my heart is beating very hard. I have also had bad chest pains. It felt as if I was going to have a heart attack. My whole chest was in pain, and a strong pressure was on it. Thank God it finally calmed down. I am now on my second week of antibiotics and find that they are helping as the swelling that I had on the side of my neck.

Comment from: ttaylor, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 05

I have just started taking see Suboxone, and since taking it I have been having severe upper abdominal cramps. I am wondering if this medication is causing this.

Comment from: Pugs46, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

I came down with laryngitis and not able to speak loudly. First time I've ever had it. Hope it's not from something bad.

Comment from: Dr Vakily, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 03

I have a sore throat, difficulty swallowing, runny nose, loss of voice and cough with laryngitis.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

I have dry cough with laryngitis; always seem to have this with cold.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with asthma at age 53 and recently caught laryngitis which turned into pneumonia. I am wondering if it was caused by an exposure to a farmers manure fertilizer so potent that it gave me an asthma attack while at work outside during recess.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I never got laryngitis and lost my voice when I coughed a lot until a few years ago. Now whenever I have any bug that makes me cough I end up losing the ability to talk in normal tones and ranges sporadically during and following the episode.

Comment from: Linford, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I lost my voice for three weeks last year and as a result of that I was off sick from work for four weeks. Since then I have lost my voice four more times.

Comment from: linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I just got over a sinus infection and now I have Larngitis. I was talking yesterday and then all of the sudden I couldn't talk, it felt like my voice broke.

Comment from: NoWhisperer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My laryngitis is an annual visitor. This is the third time in three years! My mistake was thinking that I could whisper. Oops! I just read the articles and found out that I was wrong. I'm a teacher, so I'm out for a day and a half, but my recovery time has typically been a few days. I have a sore throat, fever, and total loss of voice.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.