Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: vicster, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

I have had laryngitis for about 3 months now. I have thyroid disease and went to see my endocrinologist 3 weeks ago. She ordered a thyroid ultrasound and even though my thyroid is enlarged, I am told it is not the cause. I now have an apptointment with an ENT next week to see what they say. I am frustrated and concerned. In the end of June, I woke up one morning and noticed a huge change in my voice. I thought I was getting a cold. Never got sick and it has progressively got worse. I have a hard time even having a conversation anymore because I have to strain so much just to talk and I constantly feel like I have a lump in my throat and sometimes have to spit. I also have a very dry cough when I try to talk too much.

Comment from: TessaRosee, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

So I have Laryngitis and to top it off I have Strep Throat. It's horrible! I can't sleep, eat, talk, spit up cause it hurts so bad. I'm so frustrated.

Comment from: Peggy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I had to leave our home because we had a tornado in our town and our electricity was off for 11 days. We were in the middle of a heat wave on top of it so we went to our son's for 4 or 5 days. We watched our 5 year old great granddaughter, and she had a cough and runny nose. Well we muddled our way through this terrible event and no sooner got home when I woke up with a sore throat. We ate in a freezing restaurant and I immediately got laryngitis. The third day I go to the doctor. She put me on a Z-Pak and Claritin, and lots of water. Here's hoping I feel better tomorrow. I don't have much of an appetite and I have coughing fits. I've had this four times the past year.

Comment from: Cindy1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

This started with one eye weeping for two days and postnasal drip, followed by a painful sore throat, and a raspy voice which developed into laryngitis.

Comment from: Mother of 2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I've had laryngitis consistently since Sept 2010 but on and off for the last 5 years. I have horrible coughing attacks constantly that have landed me in the ER 3 times because I couldn't breathe. I have seen 2 general practioners, an internal medicine doctor, an allergy/asthma specialist, pulmonologist, and an ENT. Nothing! They've done x-rays, 2 CT scans, allergy testing (which sent me into anaphylactic shock), asthma testing (which I have also), lung capacity tests (I've failed every one of them) and other testing. I have tried numerous antibiotics (including avelox), several nose sprays, several allergy meds, high doses of steriods, a couple of inhalers...you name it. All of my doctors are at a loss and now tell me there is nothing they can do for me except send me to ER when I can't breath which is everyday. The ER treats me for anaphylaxis which is the only thing that has EVER worked, however, as soon as the medication is out of my system I am right back to where I started. So, basically thousands of dollars at ER for a bandaid and no answers either. My primary doctor is FINALLY sending me to a specialist out of the area but cannot see me for another 3 months....I cannot live like this for another 3 months!!! This is awful!!!!

Comment from: jaye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had sinusitis since Dec. 7, and was on amoxicillin for 10 days. I felt better for a few days and then came down with the beginnings of a cold, which settled again into my sinuses. Last week, I developed laryngitis, and have seen two doctors. The first one prescribed steroids and a nose spray. I finished those and had no relief. The second doctor prescribed Avelox, which has scary side effects, so I refused to take it. I am now waiting for the holidays to be over so I can make an appointment for an ENT doctor. I have tried saline nose drops, nasal irrigation, gargling with salt water, tea and honey, etc., all with no help.

Comment from: Michelle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I'm a singer and I've had laryngitis since the end of October. My doctors don't know what to do about it and neither do I.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.