Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: Cindy1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

This started with one eye weeping for two days and postnasal drip, followed by a painful sore throat, and a raspy voice which developed into laryngitis.

Comment from: Mother of 2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I've had laryngitis consistently since Sept 2010 but on and off for the last 5 years. I have horrible coughing attacks constantly that have landed me in the ER 3 times because I couldn't breathe. I have seen 2 general practioners, an internal medicine doctor, an allergy/asthma specialist, pulmonologist, and an ENT. Nothing! They've done x-rays, 2 CT scans, allergy testing (which sent me into anaphylactic shock), asthma testing (which I have also), lung capacity tests (I've failed every one of them) and other testing. I have tried numerous antibiotics (including avelox), several nose sprays, several allergy meds, high doses of steriods, a couple of inhalers...you name it. All of my doctors are at a loss and now tell me there is nothing they can do for me except send me to ER when I can't breath which is everyday. The ER treats me for anaphylaxis which is the only thing that has EVER worked, however, as soon as the medication is out of my system I am right back to where I started. So, basically thousands of dollars at ER for a bandaid and no answers either. My primary doctor is FINALLY sending me to a specialist out of the area but cannot see me for another 3 months....I cannot live like this for another 3 months!!! This is awful!!!!

Comment from: jaye, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had sinusitis since Dec. 7, and was on amoxicillin for 10 days. I felt better for a few days and then came down with the beginnings of a cold, which settled again into my sinuses. Last week, I developed laryngitis, and have seen two doctors. The first one prescribed steroids and a nose spray. I finished those and had no relief. The second doctor prescribed Avelox, which has scary side effects, so I refused to take it. I am now waiting for the holidays to be over so I can make an appointment for an ENT doctor. I have tried saline nose drops, nasal irrigation, gargling with salt water, tea and honey, etc., all with no help.

Comment from: Michelle, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I'm a singer and I've had laryngitis since the end of October. My doctors don't know what to do about it and neither do I.

Comment from: amanda97355, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had continuous laryngitis for about five years now, and I consistently get it about 15 to 20 times in one year. This is very annoying for me and my employers. I repeatedly miss work because of it.

Comment from: Diamondgirl2009, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have had laryngitis for six weeks now and I believe that it is caused from the reflux acid coming from my stomach. I am unable to breath at times. This condition makes it feel as if my throat is closing up completely. Then when I eat, my throat starts closing again because I have put something in the air way, so I have to keep coughing very, very hard until I get something up to clear my air way. Usually what comes up is dead skin from my throat. I also have the acid come up, which strangles me and I feel as if I am never going to catch my breath again. When I finally do catch my breath, my face is red and my heart is beating very hard. I have had a nosebleed after trying to catch my breath. I have also had bad chest pains. I had to take two nitros the other day just to calm down my chest. It felt as if I was going to have a heart attack. My whole chest was in pain and a strong pressure was on it. Thank God it finally calmed down.

Comment from: Joanne, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I went to High Sierra mountains on an ATV. I inhaled lots of dust, woke up unable to swallow, raspy voice led to no voice. I went to the doctor. Z-Pak. It's been three days without a voice, and just learned not to whisper. It hurts my voice box more than trying to talk. No sore throat, just dry cough, taking Mucinex just in case. Never thought I would miss talking, but I do.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.