Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: jchristie2005, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I have had laryngitis now going on 5th day. I work in a call center which is not conducive to not tailing. I have been off work for 5 days. I have also been to the doctor and had to go back to work today but still have hoarse voice. I was put on Z-Pak from doctor but still no improvement. I have been doing hot liquids and ice cream as well but so far not much has been working. Hope this is done soon.

Comment from: DDO, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 24

I am a registered nurse and I have laryngitis again and have had it for the past 5 days. I just had it in December after contracting a cold or the flu, not sure which but it also went into my throat then! I'm on my 4th day of prednisone but am so frustrated by this condition because I can't work. I'm drinking 'throat coat' tea like it's going out of style, sucking throat lozenges, running my humidifier, sitting in the steam room; the list goes on and on. I want my voice back!

Comment from: liz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I started with cold symptoms, scratchy throat, two weeks ago. Then I started getting a little hoarse, but felt fine. Now, I have full blown laryngitis! I've noticed I have a dry cough at night and some congestion in my throat, feel feverish too. I wonder if it's bacterial and may need an antibiotic.

Comment from: Rosemary1977, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 26

I have severe hay fever, even after years of desensitization. I've had laryngitis before, but not to the extent that it is now. My hay fever symptoms started 2 weeks ago. Within 3 days, I was on antibiotics for sinus and ear infections. There was also a sore throat. I always have taken antihistamines, nasal and asthma inhalers. I am also on prednisone. My voice just stopped working yesterday. It was gravelly at first, but has totally failed. I had just signed a thirteen week contract for travel nursing. My employer does not know I can't talk above a whisper.

Comment from: Leftygal22, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

My throat felt tight 8 days ago, my voice became raspy and it was hard to speak without much effort. I had bronchitis and was on antibiotics it. I was also a smoker. I stopped smoking 3 days ago, and only after I stopped smoking, did I notice my symptoms for both the bronchitis and laryngitis improving. I have never lost my voice before, it has been a terrible experience. Never again will I smoke a cigarette, also my chest has cleared up super good, only since I stopped the smoking. I have smoked for 46 years... no more though.

Comment from: Barbara A, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am now into 3 months with chronic laryngitis. Had it last year for 9 weeks. I am taking acid reflux stuff again, touch wood, they are not making me ill like the last lot. I finally got a referral to ENT in 10 days. I am taking herbal things to hopefully improve my immune system, tried all the usual - rest, steam inhalation, etc., but to no avail. I am sick and fed up of straining to have a conversation and I miss singing, I only do it at home but it makes me feel happy. I've been off work for weeks as for the most part have felt run down, tight chested and generally unwell. Will see what next week brings...

Comment from: Fukutaichou, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I"ve had chronic laryngitis for a year. I"ve stopped singing since then, which is very frustrating. When I had it checked the doctor said that it couldn"t be throat cancer. Therefore, I have nothing to worry about. But I still feel the swelling in the throat. I"ve taken artificial medication and herbal supplements, and yet, it won"t go away. It feels like my throat is a flat tire. It gets exhausted easily and I can"t reach the high ranges that I used to sing.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.