Patient Comments: Laryngitis - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with Laryngitis.

Comment from: Throaty, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

In September of 2009, I had a bad head cold that quickly turned into bronchitis. The doctor gave me a steroid and antibiotic. The symptoms all subsided within a few weeks except for the laryngitis. I was not over the laryngitis yet when I came down with another very severe cold with almost the exact same symptoms. This was in January of 2010. There was a lot of drainage down my throat but very little coughing. I was given the same drugs and had the same results that left me with laryngitis that was so bad I couldn't talk at all for three days. Most of my voice has returned now (June 2010) except I still have a very raspy throat and feel very winded when I talk. After the first cold, the doctor told me I had acid reflux and treated me with medication for reflux. I told the doctor I didn't think I had reflux as I have no other symptoms except the laryngitis, but I did as I was told. After the second cold, another doctor again told me it was acid reflux and sent me to a throat specialist. He said to continue on the medication for acid reflux and put me on a special diet of no alcohol, citrus, spicy foods, cheese, no snacks at night and raised the head of the bed 6 inches. He had checked my vocal chords, which were red and swollen. There were no nodules or sign of cancer. He also told me to take pills to reduce mucus and allergy pills even though I have never been diagnosed with allergy problems. None of the medications for acid reflux or other pills have helped. I am going to see another throat specialist tomorrow. I'm about ready to accept the fact that I will always have a raspy throat. Bummer!

Comment from: Willow, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have had laryngitis for one week now, and I believe that it is caused from the stress that I'm under. I saw my doctor last Friday as I thought I had pneumonia because my chest and back were hurting. Instead, I found out that I had strained my muscles from coughing. Also, I found out that there is something in my throat, and I have to keep coughing very, very hard until I get something up to clear my airway. When I finally do catch my breath, my face is red and my heart is beating very hard. I have also had bad chest pains. It felt as if I was going to have a heart attack. My whole chest was in pain, and a strong pressure was on it. Thank God it finally calmed down. I am now on my second week of antibiotics and find that they are helping as the swelling that I had on the side of my neck.

Comment from: Sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I was diagnosed with asthma at age 53 and recently caught laryngitis which turned into pneumonia. I am wondering if it was caused by an exposure to a farmers manure fertilizer so potent that it gave me an asthma attack while at work outside during recess.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I never got laryngitis and lost my voice when I coughed a lot until a few years ago. Now whenever I have any bug that makes me cough I end up losing the ability to talk in normal tones and ranges sporadically during and following the episode.

Comment from: Linford, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I lost my voice for three weeks last year and as a result of that I was off sick from work for four weeks. Since then I have lost my voice four more times.

Comment from: linda, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I just got over a sinus infection and now I have Larngitis. I was talking yesterday and then all of the sudden I couldn't talk, it felt like my voice broke.

Comment from: NoWhisperer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My laryngitis is an annual visitor. This is the third time in three years! My mistake was thinking that I could whisper. Oops! I just read the articles and found out that I was wrong. I'm a teacher, so I'm out for a day and a half, but my recovery time has typically been a few days. I have a sore throat, fever, and total loss of voice.

Laryngitis - Causes Question: What was the cause of your laryngitis? Have you ever lost your voice from talking too much or singing?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Adults Question: What were your symptoms associated with laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Symptoms in Children Question: What were the symptoms associated with laryngitis in your baby or child?
Laryngitis - Treatment Question: What types of treatment, including medication, did you receive for your laryngitis?
Laryngitis - Home Remedies Question: Please share tips and home remedies for treating the hoarseness of laryngitis.