GENERIC NAME: lamivudine and zidovudine (3tc/ZDV)
BRAND NAME: Combivir
GENERIC AVAILABLE: Yes.
- Combivir is used, in combination with other agents, for the treatment of HIV infection.
WARNING: (BLACK BOX WARNING):
- Zidovudine may cause low red and white blood cells.
- Long term use of zidovudine may lead to muscle damage.
- Lactic acidosis, severe hepatomegaly with steatosis, including fatal cases, may occur from use of lamivudine or zidovudine.
- Severe acute flare up of hepatitis B has been reported in patients infected with hepatitis B virus and human immunodeficiency virus after stopping lamivudine. Liver function should be monitored in these patients and anti-hepatitis B treatment should be started if needed
Quick GuideHIV AIDS Facts: Symptoms and Treatments
Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Need help identifying pills and medications?
Use the pill identifier tool on RxList.