Patient Comments: Lactose Intolerance - Causes

When did you develop lactose intolerance?

Comment from: trish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I could not tolerate milk as a baby in the 1950s, the doctors put me on a non-milk liquid feed and I began to put on weight. As a school age child if I had any milk or milk products by mistake I was sick within about 20 minutes. Gradually through my twenties and thirties I began to tolerate small amounts of milk in tea or cakes etc with little problem. As I entered the perimenapause in my forties, the problems began to emerge again and I had the nitrogen breathe test in hospital, which showed up as definitely lactose intolerant. Now I just avoid almost all forms of milk/milk products again. The only thing I can tolerate well is Parmesan cheese and other extremely hard Italian cheeses (anything you couldn't really chew on without grating or cooking) - the harder the cheese the less the lactose survives, a consequence of the maturing processes of such cheeses. Something you might want to try if you're lactose intolerant like me.

Comment from: Mbui, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 02

I am a Kenyan I am 45 years old now and I have never had any problem consuming milk. In fact, milk products have been my preference until I was 35 when i developed serious stomach running, stomach grumbling and gases whenever I consumed milk products. I would wish to enjoy my yogurt again.

Comment from: cheeseplease, 55-64 Female Published: October 17

While going through menopause I became severely lactose intolerant. I can't even eat anything that may contain milk ingredients. I had no idea because I never had an issue with any dairy products throughout my life, until now. I drank milk regularly for most of my life and/or skim milk with cereal. I looked like a blow fish for almost a year before I was tested.

Comment from: tmac, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I first experienced problems when I was pregnant, the doctor indicated it was morning sickness, however I didn't think so and just went on consuming milk products and getting sick. A day after my daughter was born, I was able to drink a milkshake with no after affects. Now four years later I started once again experiencing severe stomach pains, gas etc. The docotr ordered a lactose intolerance test and that is how I found out. Today I am intolerant.

Comment from: Grammie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I'm a female with lactose intolerance that began at about age 35 with increased gas after eating pizza, ice cream, cold cereal and milk, etc. Progressively, symptoms got worse. By age 40, the symptoms were intolerable. I was up all night with diarrhea and tremendously painful cramps. Now I take a lactase enzyme (9,000 units) with every meal that includes the slightest amount of dairy. Even with that, there are some foods (rich ice creams, for example) I still get symptoms from. But for the most part, the lactase enables me to eat dairy, especially if it's a small amount with other, non-dairy foods eaten at the same time.

Comment from: Dunbar, 35-44 Male Published: February 15

I was 13 when I had my first lactose intolerance symptom, heartburn. Now it is so bad, a couple of potato chips, one bite of a candy bar, or anything cooked with milk will cause vomiting, stomach cramps, and excessive saliva. This will last for hours.

Comment from: babaloo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I developed lactose intolerance as a teenager. We used to call it spastic colon. Recently during the illness and subsequent death of my husband, I became unable to eat low-fat or fat-free ice creams.

Comment from: Dairy, 65-74 Female Published: March 11

I discovered that I was lactose intolerant when I was in 5th grade. It all started after I got the stomach bug. Then, after that, it just kept getting worse. When I have dairy products, my stomach hurts so much it's difficult to walk.

Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of lactose intolerance can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Lactose Intolerance - Diet Question: What's it like to try the elimination diet? What were the results?
Lactose Intolerance - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including diet and supplements, have been effective for your lactose intolerance?