Patient Comments: Lactose Intolerance - Causes

When did you develop lactose intolerance?

Comment from: tree, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I believe my Lactose Intolerance occurred about the same time I was developing colon cancer. My diarrhea started at 49. I lived with it for about 8 months before I talked to my doctors about it. I wonder if being Lactose Intolerant and the colon cancer are related. My doctors really haven't said one way or the other. It's difficult to deal with chemo too because both are causing diarrhea.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

As a baby my mother was told to put me on soy formula as I didn't tolerate regular formula well. I drank milk as a child with no issues. It wasn't until the birth of my own child that I began having symptoms of lactose intolerance. The symptoms and issues have steadily gotten worse over the years and now I can't even tolerate the smallest amounts of milk products powdered coffee creamer, chicken strips (chicken is put in milk before batter). I have to read labels very carefully for milk and milk derivatives. Most sufferers can digest yogurt, but i cannot. Symptoms arise within 1/2 hour to an hour IE: gas, pain in abdomen, cramping, diarrhea, nausea and sweating. Soy products help, but I've recently discovered soy cheese contains a milk enzyme.

Comment from: animal lover, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I became Lactose Intolerant after having gall bladder and a hiatal hernia repair in 1986. Diarrhea and uncontrolled gas started before I checked out of the hospital. I now use coconut milk and real all labels carefully to avoid milk.

Comment from: CoffeeHound, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 15

I'm 56, and just now figured out I've developed lactose intolerance. Symptoms are rumbling/gurgling in intestines, extremely watery stools (with mucus), with a weird kind of flatulence. The two go together, making 100% bowel control iffy. Very distressing. Symptoms occur within 1 hour of ingestion of even a small amount of milk. Only time I've taken milk for years is in my daily cappuccino or latte. Those are gonna HAVE TO GO, because this is intolerable.

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: February 18

I recently discovered I was Lactose intolerant, whenever I had dairy products I would double over in pain and had so much gas it was unbearable. I have Ovarian Cancer and through it was the cancer spreading to my digestive system. It could be but as long as I watch what I eat and drink I am pain free.

Comment from: Boxhead413, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

As long as I can remember I have been lactose intolerant. Apparently even when I was a baby I showed symptoms and doctors told my parent to remove dairy products from my diet. However, recently (between ages 20-22) these symptoms appear to be getting worse.

Comment from: 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 03

Try this old Cherokee remedy - chew and suck the leaves of a spearmint plant. Also helpful was peppermint candy and spearmint gum. My daughter also drinks tea lightly sugared - spearmint worked better than peppermint, but is harder to find than peppermint.

Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of lactose intolerance can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Lactose Intolerance - Diet Question: What's it like to try the elimination diet? What were the results?
Lactose Intolerance - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including diet and supplements, have been effective for your lactose intolerance?