Patient Comments: Lactose Intolerance - Treatment

What forms of treatment, including diet and supplements, have been effective for your lactose intolerance?

Comment from: Copperslug, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I have had good, but not perfect, results with the Lactaid product. It has been much better for me to avoid the dairy when possible, so I have turned my diet to Asian options when at all possible. You can have an entire meal with little concern of being surprised by cheese or cream in your food. Everyone I work with knows that if they ask me where to go for lunch, it is going to be Thai or Vietnamese.

Comment from: MLG, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

If I can't avoid milk and products that contain milk, I take a product like Lactaid or the store brand. Unfortunately, you don't always know milk or milk products are present in various products, so I read labels! If I experience very severe signs and symptoms of lactose intolerance, I would immediately take a product like Imodium or the store brand. When I do, relief happens in less than an hour.

Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of lactose intolerance can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Lactose Intolerance - Causes Question: When did you develop lactose intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance - Diet Question: What's it like to try the elimination diet? What were the results?