Patient Comments: Lactose Intolerance - Experience

Please share your experience with lactose intolerance.

Comment from: College Student, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I am not sure when I developed lactose intolerance but believe it was around 18 or 19. As a child I was fine with milk, yogurt, ice cream, and all other dairy products. I noticed stomach problems in college and it took me a while to tie my stomach issues to lactose, but taking lactase enzyme helps control my symptoms. After consuming foods with lots of lactose I notice immediately gurgling and gas in my stomach, and this continues into cramps in my lower abdomen and lots of very bad gas. The next morning I will have very bad diarrhea.

Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms Question: The symptoms of lactose intolerance can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?
Lactose Intolerance - Causes Question: When did you develop lactose intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including diet and supplements, have been effective for your lactose intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance - Foods to Avoid Question: In addition to the foods listed, what other foods trigger your symptoms of lactose intolerance?