Patient Comments: Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms

The symptoms of lactose intolerance can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

Since visiting a relative's dairy farm end of August, my husband has been experiencing pain in his esophagus area. While on the farm, he consumed a large amount of raw milk and became ill (severe diarrhea) for a day and a half before we left for home. He thought the problem was either upper GI (gastro intestinal) or cardiac because of where the pain is. He's been hospitalized and had every test imaginable since then and all the results are negative. Yesterday, his doctor asked him to eliminate his lactose intake and journal for a week.

Comment from: Britgal, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 31

My 11 year old daughter has very bad stomach pain. She describes the feeling as being punched in the stomach. She has had chronic stomach pain for years which was diagnosed as chronic constipation. About 2 years ago I realized milk products made her pain worse. She had 2 great pain free years without dairy. However, now her stomach pain has returned and again I am trying to figure out what is causing it. Eating seems to cause her pain and she feels full after a few bites.

Comment from: kdb, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was in my teens when I realized I was lactose intolerant. I do not know how this came about but I realized when I was about 14 years old (I am now 25) that after drinking a glass of milk, I had a lot of bloating and abdominal pain and the gas and diarrhea were horrible. They caused excruciating pain, to the point that I couldn't move. During my menstrual cycle, the cramps would be so bad if I drank milk.

Comment from: brittany82890, 13-18 Female Published: October 06

I may have the strangest case of lactose intolerance yet. First of all I'm 18, and diagnosed myself basically just before I turned 17. I have the most severe intolerance of the people I've talked to. If I eat even a spoonful of low-fat pudding my stomach begins to gurgle and I will have some flatulence. With one cookie I will have gas, bloating, cramping, and nausea. If I have even a small amount of cheese or something else dairy that's more than the size of a cookie I will be on the ground, in the fetal position, clutching my stomach, with gas, nausea, sweating, tremendous pain, and sometimes vomiting. Usually my symptoms occur within 15-20 minutes of eating something with dairy in it, and can last for 8 or more hours. The strangest thing is how I "got" the illness. I think it may have occurred from well the articles I've read says it could be from damaging the lining of the small intestine, so I think what caused mine was when I ate half a container of frozen expired chocolate cool-whip. It was about 2 weeks expired but had been frozen so I thought it would be okay. I had severe pain, cramping, nausea, hot flashes, some vomiting, and it lasted I'd say about 24 hours. Does anyone know if the bacteria from expired foods could cause enough damage to result in lactose intolerance? I know cool-whip has no lactose in it, and since that day, anytime I ate any amount of dairy products I would get the symptoms. Please, tell me if you have any information. It'd be great to know what cause this very annoying and painful illness.

Comment from: VL, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 26

I would somehow agree with the previous comment that lactose intolerance may be associated with the menstrual cycle. In my case, I noted bloatedness, palpitations, hot flushes and diarrhea within minutes after taking diet containing milk. Also, I have noted that this usually happens in the second half of my cycle. During this time, I observe that I am more vulnerable to allergies and food intolerance. I would get hot flushes and palpitations drinking soya milk, eating watermelons and seconds after taking certain brand of tea.

Comment from: Irishlass1966, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

I was diagnosed 6 months ago as being lactose Intolerant and stayed off all dairy. It didn"t seem to help because I was still having chronic diarrhea and other symptoms. Well, I seem to be getting every symptom under the sun for gluten sensitivity some of which mimic lactose intolerance; I will try to eliminate gluten and see if that cures the problem.

Lactose Intolerance - Causes Question: When did you develop lactose intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance - Diet Question: What's it like to try the elimination diet? What were the results?
Lactose Intolerance - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including diet and supplements, have been effective for your lactose intolerance?