Patient Comments: Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms

The symptoms of lactose intolerance can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Mommy McQueen, Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I developed lactose intolerance when I was 13 years old. It was probably earlier but it was not until then that I discovered the problem was milk. My symptoms are excruciating pain in my esophagus and stomach. It feels like if someone is squeezing my esophagus. I have over production of saliva and I cannot swallow anything, not even my own saliva. I cannot burp either and that causes lots of pain. Pain lasts till next day. I wish I could cure this. I am 33 years old now.

Comment from: Gerhard, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 25

I thought I was lactose intolerant as my symptoms are mouth ulcers and severe sinus headaches after using dairy and from the age of 44 I have had Parkinson's disease. About 2 years ago I also visited a friend's farm and was using full cream unprocessed milk on my porridge. Full cream should have given me a serious reaction, but I had no reaction. I personally think that my problems is from the by-products in the dairy. As a result of the severe sinus headaches I have used anti-histamine with headache pills on a regular base, which I recon caused my Parkinson's disease.

Comment from: Nurse 101, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

On my menstrual cycle when I eat 'real' ice cream, such as Cold Stone I have symptoms of diarrhea and bowel urgency. During the rest of the month these lactose intolerance symptoms are not present. This is my first time actually noticing this phenomenon.

Comment from: vikram, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I used to have gastric bloating, pain, gas in the abdomen, racing heartbeat, and lethargy. Due to that reason sometime I get severe chest pain. I consulted my doctor and he advised me ECG followed by echo cardiograph, and stress and strain test. All my reports were ok. Then I was referred to a gastroenterologist. He diagnosed hiatal hernia after endoscopy but failed to explain the unbearable pain in the chest. He prescribed me PPI (proton pump inhibitor) and antacids. I got a fraction of relief but I was not quit okay. I suffered badly with this problem for more than two years. One day I read about lactose intolerance with some similar symptoms I stopped consuming milk and milk products all of a sudden. From next day onwards I did not have any problem. I was alright. It was a miracle for me.

Comment from: Maygin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

My lactose intolerance started when I was 19/20. Probably due to the freshman diet in University (lots of Kraft Dinner and cereal). Since then, I consume the tiniest amount of lactose. Whether it be a sip of my daughter's bottle to test the warmth, or a small half spoonful of yogurt, with anything I will experience the intolerance. I get back pains, sharp pains through my stomach, bloated stomach, gas, nausea, vomiting, sometimes constipation, sometimes diarrhea (whatever my body decides that day), and I will be down and out for hours on end. I'm starting to think that it's something more than just lactose intolerance, as I will take 4 pills before I eat and 60% of the time I will still experience everything.

Comment from: Denise, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

Since visiting a relative's dairy farm end of August, my husband has been experiencing pain in his esophagus area. While on the farm, he consumed a large amount of raw milk and became ill (severe diarrhea) for a day and a half before we left for home. He thought the problem was either upper GI (gastro intestinal) or cardiac because of where the pain is. He's been hospitalized and had every test imaginable since then and all the results are negative. Yesterday, his doctor asked him to eliminate his lactose intake and journal for a week.

Lactose Intolerance - Causes Question: When did you develop lactose intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance - Diet Question: What's it like to try the elimination diet? What were the results?
Lactose Intolerance - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including diet and supplements, have been effective for your lactose intolerance?