Patient Comments: Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms

The symptoms of lactose intolerance can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Published: June 02

When I first knew of my intolerance, I was hospitalized for food poisoning. It turned out that I was intolerant of the milk I was drinking and the ice cream I was eating, and the cheese in my diet. It acted like a poison when I did not avoid these foods.

Comment from: 45-54 Female Published: October 06

My symptoms seem to mirror lactose intolerance. I am waiting for test results to return to be certain but my GP is leaning towards this diagnoses. What is interesting is the discussion about the influence that hormones may play. I have been experiencing pre-menopausal symptoms since about February (it is now October) and have begun to have intermittent periods in the last four months which is a fairly certain indication that hormonal changes are taking place. Curiously my 'lactose intolerance' symptoms began about 9 weeks ago.

Comment from: Trisha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with celiac disease like 4 years ago and never realized the huge amount of gas and diarrhea. I experience after eating yogurt could be attributed to lactose intolerance. Reading this article I know that I must avoid yogurt and milk products even though I do not follow a totally gluten free diet. Thanks for this information.

Comment from: , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I started facing this problem many years back and don't remember exactly when and how it started. Now whenever I take milk especially cow's milk, not the tea prepared with it, I feel some pressure and fullness in the abdomen and later I start getting mild pain with flatulence and watery diarrhea that persists for about few hours. It goes away spontaneously. The problem is more with dry milk. The similar problems also occur when I take high protein diets like roasted chicken in relatively large quantities.

Comment from: Peggy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My symptoms were off and on again diarrhea plus gas and bloating. I first recall symptoms at age 56 but thought they were due to a drug I was taking. But after I stopped taking the drug five years later, the symptoms continued and got worse. At my doctor's suggestion, I'm trying a reduced lactose diet (no mile, ice cream, etc.), but not milk in products like baked goods, etc. My symptoms have gone away over the past 10 days, but since my problem was variable I need to "test" it a while longer. My doctor is also doing a glucose test and celiac test.

Comment from: student patient, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I feel great pain in my stomach after eating dairy product. I get very bloated and the feeling is similar to having a growing balloon in my stomach, full with water. Sometimes the pain is so strong that I break down in tears. Indigestion occurs for the rest of the day and the feeling will go away only the next day, ending with diarrhea. I've tried the lact-aid pills before, during and after eating, and it does not work.

Comment from: cc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I've been lactose since high school and since then I too have noticed during my cycle it's definitely worse than normal. What I am worried is there are times I almost pass out. The pain is a little scary and I am wondering when I should consult a doctor as I am also having irregular bowl movements once maybe twice if I'm lucky. I think I drink plenty of water, eat my fruits, and exercise a little.

Comment from: Holly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 55 year old female and have been lactose intolerant for 15 years. I have just recently gone through menopause and have not had a hot flash for 3 months now. Coincidentally, I have tolerated milk and milk products for the past 3 months. Is this a coincidence or does the hormone level indeed affect lactose intolerance.

Lactose Intolerance - Causes Question: When did you develop lactose intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance - Experience Question: Please share your experience with lactose intolerance.
Lactose Intolerance - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including diet and supplements, have been effective for your lactose intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance - Foods to Avoid Question: In addition to the foods listed, what other foods trigger your symptoms of lactose intolerance?