Patient Comments: Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms

The symptoms of lactose intolerance can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: ss2, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 22

My symptoms were severe bloating of my stomach, uncontrollable gas, and severe stomach pain. I was so miserable. I also had problems controlling my bowel movements after a meal. I would have to be close to a restroom at all times. I never knew when I would have to go to the bathroom.

Comment from: 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 13

The primary symptom I experience with my lactose intolerance is terrible flatulence. After consuming one, 8-ounce glass of milk, I can expect to pass gas more than 200 times. It is a horrible and embarrassing experience.

Lactose Intolerance - Causes Question: When did you develop lactose intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance - Diet Question: What's it like to try the elimination diet? What were the results?
Lactose Intolerance - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including diet and supplements, have been effective for your lactose intolerance?