Patient Comments: Lactose Intolerance - Symptoms

The symptoms of lactose intolerance can vary greatly from patient to patient. What were your symptoms at the onset of your disease?

Comment from: Trisha, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was diagnosed with celiac disease like 4 years ago and never realized the huge amount of gas and diarrhea. I experience after eating yogurt could be attributed to lactose intolerance. Reading this article I know that I must avoid yogurt and milk products even though I do not follow a totally gluten free diet. Thanks for this information.

Comment from: , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I started facing this problem many years back and don't remember exactly when and how it started. Now whenever I take milk especially cow's milk, not the tea prepared with it, I feel some pressure and fullness in the abdomen and later I start getting mild pain with flatulence and watery diarrhea that persists for about few hours. It goes away spontaneously. The problem is more with dry milk. The similar problems also occur when I take high protein diets like roasted chicken in relatively large quantities.

Comment from: Peggy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My symptoms were off and on again diarrhea plus gas and bloating. I first recall symptoms at age 56 but thought they were due to a drug I was taking. But after I stopped taking the drug five years later, the symptoms continued and got worse. At my doctor's suggestion, I'm trying a reduced lactose diet (no mile, ice cream, etc.), but not milk in products like baked goods, etc. My symptoms have gone away over the past 10 days, but since my problem was variable I need to "test" it a while longer. My doctor is also doing a glucose test and celiac test.

Comment from: student patient, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I feel great pain in my stomach after eating dairy product. I get very bloated and the feeling is similar to having a growing balloon in my stomach, full with water. Sometimes the pain is so strong that I break down in tears. Indigestion occurs for the rest of the day and the feeling will go away only the next day, ending with diarrhea. I've tried the lact-aid pills before, during and after eating, and it does not work.

Comment from: cc, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I've been lactose since high school and since then I too have noticed during my cycle it's definitely worse than normal. What I am worried is there are times I almost pass out. The pain is a little scary and I am wondering when I should consult a doctor as I am also having irregular bowl movements once maybe twice if I'm lucky. I think I drink plenty of water, eat my fruits, and exercise a little.

Comment from: Holly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I am a 55 year old female and have been lactose intolerant for 15 years. I have just recently gone through menopause and have not had a hot flash for 3 months now. Coincidentally, I have tolerated milk and milk products for the past 3 months. Is this a coincidence or does the hormone level indeed affect lactose intolerance.

Comment from: teejay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

A friend, who is lactose intolerant, told me that it seems I might be, as I have many symptoms. I knew nothing about this, and I've never had a problem with lactose that I know of. This is the first website I've been to so far, and it seems quite evident this is what's going on. I agree that my symptoms get worse when I'm menstruating and, therefore, it was hard to figure out what symptoms are normal with my changing body. There were more things happening to my body that I should look into. When my hormones are changing, I unfortunately crave milk and dairy products (Yay, chocolate). Thanks MedicineNet! Because I'm not a cyberchondriac, and I am not a self diagnosing type, I will definitely make an appointment with my physician right away.

Lactose Intolerance - Causes Question: When did you develop lactose intolerance?
Lactose Intolerance - Diet Question: What's it like to try the elimination diet? What were the results?
Lactose Intolerance - Treatment Question: What forms of treatment, including diet and supplements, have been effective for your lactose intolerance?