Patient Comments: Kyphosis - Symptoms

Question:What symptoms did you experience with kyphosis?

Comment from: sad sally, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I am a 31-year-old woman. I was told I had scoliosis when I was in the seventh grade. I believe I have kyphosis instead. I have a pretty large hunchback. I have the most pain when I first try to get up out of bed. It's hard to stand up; I have to hang onto things to pull myself up. I often have spasms that hurt so bad I feel like a jolt of electricity is hitting me. My hands, arms, and legs fall asleep all the time, and I am starting to have very painful indigestion and heartburn that feels like a heart attack but is cured with two or three Tums chewables. I have a job that keeps me active with walking and lifting and pulling. I am finding it harder and harder to do it well. I am afraid I won't be able to do it much longer. I feel like I am at the end and nothing can help me. It makes me feel depressed, and I live in fear of the next spasm or case of horrible heartburn. I sometimes can't get the food down to my stomach so I have to throw it up because it causes hiccups and pain till it's out. Other times if I try to sit as straight as possible it goes down. I am so scared my young daughter might get this. I watch her back every day.

Comment from: VW, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My 18 year old son has been diagnosed with kyphosis (congenital) and scoliosis. Last 2 years he has had pain after standing or sitting for more than an hour. He plays tennis, and this causes him pain too. We went through orthotics because one leg shorter than the other, and finally we know what's up. The orthopedic surgeon discussed surgery with him because his spinal cord is pressing on some of the vertebrae. Bit worrying but will probably go down this route as it will only get worse. I am shocked to hear so many people have been told there is nothing to be done except painkillers. Kyphosis can affect kidneys and heart function. Go back and demand a discussion on surgery. All the best.

Comment from: Kay, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 09

I'm a 37 year old man and have been recently diagnosed with Scheuerman's Kyphosis which was only discovered after I broke vertebrae in my spine. I've also suffered varying degrees of back pain for as long as I can remember and have took a wide variety of painkillers over the years. Nothing seems to have worked for me and the pain killers have all gave me stomach and digestive troubles. For a while people thought I was telling a lie about my back pain, but at least now I can tell them I wasn't lying. Each day can be a struggle, just doing simple everyday things around the house or just going to the supermarket for groceries. I'm happy enough doing what I can do, but if something is causing me more bother than it's worth these days, I give it a by ball.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I've just been told by my consultant that I have kyphosis; I am only 23 and have been seeing doctors since the age of 12 because of the curve shape of my spine. I am a mum of two and find it really difficult to get on with everyday tasks. I'm in constant pain, and have been told there is not much they can do other than me having to do a lot of exercise and have pain killers. None of this works, the more active I am the worse the pain is. I wish I could go a day without pain!

Comment from: denaygi05, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am in the UK and have Congenital Kyphosis. There is no treatment other than painkillers/muscle relaxants. I have tried physiotherapy twice now since diagnosis back in 92 but exercise only makes the pain worse. I suffer with neck/shoulder/leg/above the breast muscle pain. Back quite often goes into spasms which is excruciating. I am now very limited on movement on all fronts. Feeling useless.

Comment from: Shikhar, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 26

I have depression of chest because of kyphosis.

Comment from: Stephanie, 45-54 Female Published: January 07

I have Kyphosis Acquired and have lots of pain and stiffness all over my body due to Fibromyalgia, sprained knee, pinched nerve in low back, and the Thoracic Kyphosis. I've been having dizzy spells, at one point I felt so dizzy that I grabbed my head in my hands and waited for it to go away, I was sitting in a restaurant when it happened. I was never able to blow a bubble or blow up a balloon when I was a kid either, I still can't do either one. I couldn't even blow the noise-maker on New Year's Eve very loud.

Kyphosis - Treatments Question: What treatments were effective for your kyphosis?
Kyphosis - Causes and Types Question: If known, what was the cause of your kyphosis? What type do you have?
Kyphosis - Tests Question: What types of tests and exams did you receive before being diagnosed with kyphosis?
Kyphosis - Therapy and Prognosis Question: Describe the physical therapy exercises that have helped for your kyphosis. What is your prognosis?