Patient Comments: Knee Pain - Treatment

What was the treatment for your knee pain?

Comment from: Marianna, Female (Patient) Published: December 18

My experience could possibly save you a lot of grief. Almost 2 years ago I consulted a surgeon at a local orthopedic practice because I had had worsening pain in my right knee. On the basis of x-rays, he said I had grade 4 osteoarthritis, for which knee replacement was indicated, but also that the injection of hyaluronic acid might help. It did briefly, and then, unaccountably, on the second shot, I developed a severe muscle spasm that prevented me from bending my knee (and also sleeping). Now knee replacement looked like the next step. I then went to see another surgeon who gave me a cortisone shot, which eased the muscle spasm. He also suggested that I ride my stationary bike regularly, saying that this would improve the flow of synovial fluid, which lubricates the joints. Long story short, after a second shot of cortisone, my knee was better than before, and it has been okay for a whole year without any additional treatment. The moral of this story is that x-rays alone are no criterion and that even arthritic knees can function surprisingly well. Finally, I have lived in a third-floor walk-up apartment for 40 years and done all my errands on foot (I don't drive). Possibly that has played a role in giving me fairly strong leg muscles. Knee replacement is a very big deal. It seems to work out okay for most people, but I am tremendously grateful that I didn't have to go through it.

Comment from: michelle c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I take ibuprofen 800 mg and have been soaking in the tub.

Knee Pain - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last?
Knee Pain - Causes Question: What caused your knee pain?
Knee Pain - Prognosis Question: What is your knee pain prognosis?