Patient Comments: Knee Pain - Causes

What caused your knee pain?

A Doctor's View on Knee Pain Causes

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Knee pain causes vary widely. Acute injury (sprains, strains, tears in ligaments or cartilage, kneecap dislocation, bone fracture) or a more serious condition (arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, lupus, infection, tendonitis, bursitis, and more) may cause knee pain. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Nf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

My knee started hurting after doing jumps going upstairs at the gym. It's been 2 1/2 weeks and I still have pain.

Comment from: dorcas, Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Four years ago I was hit by a car my and both knees were fractured. I live with pain till now so I need something that can help me with the pain.

Comment from: A, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I was going for road running from past 3 weeks, then I realized a small amount of pain near knee joint.

Comment from: Cranburry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

If I run, my knee pain returns and takes weeks to subside. Most of the pain occurs on the outside rear of the knee. It feels swollen on the inside but not on the outside. There is no redness or heat.

Comment from: Zsa, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: July 08

I had sudden sharp pain over my kneecap after going up and down stairs doing spring clean job in house. I can't remember hurting it. It started to swell and I wore a support elastic strap on it for few days then took off, but it didn't seem to help that much. I have constant soreness dull ache in knee. Swelling goes up and down but always appears more swollen than other knee. When I bend the knee and touch the kneecap I get a sharp pain and it feels like vibration sensation under knee. I heard knee pop/crack sound when going up the stairs. I have used anti-inflammatory medications but knee pain persists.

Comment from: Tam, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I have experiencing pain at the back of my knee for the last four days. This has been followed up by sudden instances when my left leg and arm would fall asleep while I am sitting normally. The pain now seems to be spreading lower.

Comment from: chris d, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had arthroscopic knee repair, primarily meniscus, done 4 months ago. Currently pain is as bad if not worse than before with even more limiting ROM (range of motion). There is still a lot of swelling posteriorly, even slight lateral movements result in sharp pain, still very painful on quad stretch, pain in using stairs, and very stiff when I lie or sit down. Five days ago I received a Synvisc-One injection. There is no noticeable improvement so far.

Comment from: michelle c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I'm not sure how I hurt my knee, possibly twisted it. It is swollen and I can"t stand or walk. When I walk can feel it cracking pop. I work at McDonalds, I stand all the time.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

My knee was injured from falling when hit by a car.

Comment from: Don, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 21

Running this morning; I didn't twist anything. After run (jog) my knee hurt on the inner left side. Now I can't walk up hills or stairs. I can walk down with absolutely no pain or weakness.

Knee Pain - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last?
Knee Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your knee pain?
Knee Pain - Prognosis Question: What is your knee pain prognosis?