Patient Comments: Knee Pain - Causes

What caused your knee pain?

A Doctor's View on Knee Pain Causes

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Knee pain causes vary widely. Acute injury (sprains, strains, tears in ligaments or cartilage, kneecap dislocation, bone fracture) or a more serious condition (arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, lupus, infection, tendonitis, bursitis, and more) may cause knee pain. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Randy5520, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I am a type 2 diabetic since 2015. When my doctor first told me I had type 2 diabetes and I had to take 500 mg of metformin 2 pills a day, what I did was I thought about what I have and what I have to do to control it, so I started reading more about type 2 diabetes. Then I gave up a large amount of starchy foods I was eating like potatoes, rice, white sugar which were the main starches that got me in this situation. I went cold turkey on those starches as I had to flush those starches out of my system. I was having the diabetic foot pain for about a month after I became type 2 but once all that stuff left my system and I put myself on a low starch diet the pain started to go away. Then I started losing weight because of the low starch diet; between January and July of 2015 I went from 240 to 217 and my diabetic situation improved tremendously. I did a lot of tread milling and drank only water, no juices. The key to controlling your diabetes is to stay on a low starch low carbohydrate diet, no sodas or juices stick to water, and work out at least every other day. Check your blood sugar when needed, stay away from stress and you will live a normal life; it worked for me.

Comment from: Brooke, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 23

My daughter has banged her knee and has quite a lot of pain when standing.

Comment from: Roxmy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

A fall with hyperflexion of my left knee is the cause of my knee pain.

Comment from: Lknight777, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I have pain in my right knee after driving about 800 miles in 3 days. I have had the pain for 10 days.

Comment from: Food Safety Auditor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I practice karate. After severe trainings in running ascending roads and climbing, my left knee start causing me pain especially at the tendon attaching the femoral bone. When the pain began it disappeared after 3 minutes of light running but now I can't walk properly. It had been 10 days till now.

Comment from: Nf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

My knee started hurting after doing jumps going upstairs at the gym. It's been 2 1/2 weeks and I still have pain.

Comment from: dorcas, Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Four years ago I was hit by a car my and both knees were fractured. I live with pain till now so I need something that can help me with the pain.

Comment from: A, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I was going for road running from past 3 weeks, then I realized a small amount of pain near knee joint.

Comment from: Cranburry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

If I run, my knee pain returns and takes weeks to subside. Most of the pain occurs on the outside rear of the knee. It feels swollen on the inside but not on the outside. There is no redness or heat.

Knee Pain - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last?
Knee Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your knee pain?
Knee Pain - Prognosis Question: What is your knee pain prognosis?