Patient Comments: Knee Pain - Causes

What caused your knee pain?

Comment from: michelle c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I'm not sure how I hurt my knee, possibly twisted it. It is swollen and I can"t stand or walk. When I walk can feel it cracking pop. I work at McDonalds, I stand all the time.

Comment from: ThereselnAZ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

When I was 12 years old my right knee cap was almost shattered by a baseball bat. I was in the hospital for two weeks and the doctors wanted to fuse my knee cap (stiff leg). My parents wouldn't hear of it. I am 55 now and have had orthoscopic surgery, suffer from severe knee swelling, popping, grinding, unbearable pain and now walk with a noticeable limp (my knee can't bear my weight). Physicians have warned about arthritis and the probable knee cap replacement in ten years (that was fifteen years ago). However, knee cap replacement is expensive, painful and has no guarantee's it will work. I guess I am headed for the remainder of my life as a handicap.

Comment from: Julie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had knee pain on an off for the last 4 years. I used to work register at a convenience store and by the end of the weekend, my knees and shins always hurt. It didn't matter what type of shoes I wore. For the last year, I worked at Starbucks. After my shift, my knees always hurt. I also dance. Due to a lack of space, we dance primarily on concrete. Within the past few weeks my knee pain has been almost constant. I can still function, but both knees always hurt. If I am able to rest them for an extended period of time in the middle of the day, I can extend how long I can last that day. But by noon the next day, they hurt again. It no longer seems to matter how much I am on my feet. They just always hurt. I'm not sure what to do about them.

Comment from: donna, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I was on 750 mg. of Levoflexocin (1/day) and 300 mg.of clindamycin (4/day) for two weeks to treat infection from dog bites. (not my dogs).Toward the end of the two weeks I awoke to my right knee swollen and sore. I could not bend it. Both of these antibiotics have swelling/inflammation of the joints as a possible side effect. The hand specialist told me to stop both medications since the infection was gone. Now I am dealing with severe joint pain/swelling in my knee. I am wondering how long this will last and should I stay off my feet.

Comment from: DAD, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: January 30

My dad's nerves to the knees are being blocked from Alzheimer's, so he is in bad pain day and night and we were told medicine can make the Alzheimer's progress faster so all he has is a low dose pain medication.

Knee Pain - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last?
Knee Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your knee pain?
Knee Pain - Prognosis Question: What is your knee pain prognosis?