Patient Comments: Knee Pain - Causes

What caused your knee pain?

A Doctor's View on Knee Pain Causes

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Knee pain causes vary widely. Acute injury (sprains, strains, tears in ligaments or cartilage, kneecap dislocation, bone fracture) or a more serious condition (arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, lupus, infection, tendonitis, bursitis, and more) may cause knee pain. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Lknight777, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: February 02

I have pain in my right knee after driving about 800 miles in 3 days. I have had the pain for 10 days.

Comment from: Food Safety Auditor, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I practice karate. After severe trainings in running ascending roads and climbing, my left knee start causing me pain especially at the tendon attaching the femoral bone. When the pain began it disappeared after 3 minutes of light running but now I can't walk properly. It had been 10 days till now.

Comment from: Nf, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

My knee started hurting after doing jumps going upstairs at the gym. It's been 2 1/2 weeks and I still have pain.

Comment from: dorcas, Female (Patient) Published: October 13

Four years ago I was hit by a car my and both knees were fractured. I live with pain till now so I need something that can help me with the pain.

Comment from: A, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 05

I was going for road running from past 3 weeks, then I realized a small amount of pain near knee joint.

Comment from: juanr2ro, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I'm not sure how I hurt my knee, possibly twisted it. It is swollen, and I work as a cook (stand all the time). I didn't twist anything, my knee hurts on the inner left side. I can't walk up or down with absolutely no pain or weakness.

Comment from: mac, Male (Caregiver) Published: December 01

I had my knee drained of fluid after years of drinking fizzy drinks and beer. When my knee was drained the liquid came out like milk. I could walk a few days later with no trouble, but about 8 years later, when the cold weather came around it started hurting again.

Comment from: Cranburry, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

If I run, my knee pain returns and takes weeks to subside. Most of the pain occurs on the outside rear of the knee. It feels swollen on the inside but not on the outside. There is no redness or heat.

Comment from: Zsa, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: July 08

I had sudden sharp pain over my kneecap after going up and down stairs doing spring clean job in house. I can't remember hurting it. It started to swell and I wore a support elastic strap on it for few days then took off, but it didn't seem to help that much. I have constant soreness dull ache in knee. Swelling goes up and down but always appears more swollen than other knee. When I bend the knee and touch the kneecap I get a sharp pain and it feels like vibration sensation under knee. I heard knee pop/crack sound when going up the stairs. I have used anti-inflammatory medications but knee pain persists.

Comment from: michelle c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I'm not sure how I hurt my knee, possibly twisted it. It is swollen and I can"t stand or walk. When I walk can feel it cracking pop. I work at McDonalds, I stand all the time.

Knee Pain - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last?
Knee Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your knee pain?
Knee Pain - Prognosis Question: What is your knee pain prognosis?