Patient Comments: Knee Pain - Causes

What caused your knee pain?

A Doctor's View on Knee Pain Causes

Read the Comment by Charles Patrick Davis, MD, PhD

Knee pain causes vary widely. Acute injury (sprains, strains, tears in ligaments or cartilage, kneecap dislocation, bone fracture) or a more serious condition (arthritis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, lupus, infection, tendonitis, bursitis, and more) may cause knee pain. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: michelle c, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 21

I'm not sure how I hurt my knee, possibly twisted it. It is swollen and I can"t stand or walk. When I walk can feel it cracking pop. I work at McDonalds, I stand all the time.

Comment from: Rusty4474, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have had a total knee replacement a couple of years back with no problems. Now I have tremendous pain on the lateral area when I try to walk. I just had a three phase bone scan and waiting for results. No doctor appt for nearly three weeks. I absolutely cannot walk and feel something needs to be done. The other knee which is natural is fine. Any ideas on what is happening.

Comment from: ThereseInAZ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 01

When I was 12 years old my right knee cap was almost shattered by a baseball bat. I was in the hospital for two weeks and the doctors wanted to fuse my knee cap (stiff leg). My parents wouldn't hear of it. I am 55 now and have had orthoscopic surgery, suffer from severe knee swelling, popping, grinding, unbearable pain and now walk with a noticeable limp (my knee can't bear my weight). Physicians have warned about arthritis and the probable knee cap replacement in ten years (that was fifteen years ago). However, knee cap replacement is expensive, painful and has no guarantee's it will work. I guess I am headed for the remainder of my life as a handicap.

Comment from: Mitta Ma, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

After crawling around on the floor for a few hours cutting out curtains, the pain was in both knees. I have had the right knee replaced and the left knee is more painful than the right one ever was. I have had the x rays, but suffered such pain, they had to take them many times as I was shaking, standing and lying down that the technician had to be really quick. Nothing kills the pain. The patches might as well be stuck on the dog. The heaviest pain killers do nothing. I am forced to splint the left knee and bandage the right for pain relief when in bed. Not a good look for anyone except burglars. They know I can't chase them.

Comment from: Mila, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have been a diabetic for more than 25 years and I have been having kneecap pain past 5 years.

Comment from: ThereselnAZ, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

Comment from: Julie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had knee pain on an off for the last 4 years. I used to work register at a convenience store and by the end of the weekend, my knees and shins always hurt. It didn't matter what type of shoes I wore. For the last year, I worked at Starbucks. After my shift, my knees always hurt. I also dance. Due to a lack of space, we dance primarily on concrete. Within the past few weeks my knee pain has been almost constant. I can still function, but both knees always hurt. If I am able to rest them for an extended period of time in the middle of the day, I can extend how long I can last that day. But by noon the next day, they hurt again. It no longer seems to matter how much I am on my feet. They just always hurt. I'm not sure what to do about them.

Knee Pain - Symptoms Question: How long did the symptoms of your knee pain last?
Knee Pain - Treatment Question: What was the treatment for your knee pain?
Knee Pain - Prognosis Question: What is your knee pain prognosis?