Table of Contents
- Knee pain facts
- What is knee pain?
- What are knee pain symptoms and signs?
- What causes knee pain?
- What causes knee pain? (Continued)
- What are risk factors for knee pain?
- When should people with knee pain call a health-care professional?
- What are some of the complications of knee pain?
- How do physicians diagnose knee pain?
- What kind of doctors treat knee pain?
- What is the treatment for knee pain?
- What is the treatment for knee pain? (Continued)
- Are there any home remedies for relief of knee pain?
- Is it possible to prevent knee pain?
- What is the prognosis of knee pain?
Your Knee Pain: Is It Chondromalacia?
Chondromalacia, technically termed chondromalacia patellae, is the most common cause of chronic knee pain. The condition is also called the patellofemoral syndrome.
Quick GuideOsteoarthritis Pictures Slideshow: Exercises for OA of the Knee
Knee pain facts
- Knee pain is a common problem with many causes, from acute injuries to complications of medical conditions.
- Knee pain can be localized to a specific area of the knee or be diffuse throughout the knee.
- Knee pain is often accompanied by physical restriction.
- A thorough physical examination will usually establish the diagnosis of knee pain.
- The treatment of knee pain depends on the underlying cause.
- The prognosis of knee pain is usually good although it might require surgery or other interventions.
What is knee pain?
Knee pain is a common problem that can originate in any of the bony structures compromising the knee joint (femur, tibia, fibula), the kneecap (patella), or the ligaments and cartilage (meniscus) of the knee. Knee pain can affect people of all ages, and home remedies can be helpful unless it becomes severe.Continue Reading
Kocabey, Y., et al. "The value of clinical examination versus magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis of meniscal tears and anterior cruciate ligament rupture." J Arthroscopy 20.7 Sept. 2004: 696-700.
3. "TibPlateauF" by James Heilman, MD
4. "Patellar tendon rupture" by James Heilman, MD
7. Getty Images
10. Getty Images/PhotoAlto
Subscribe to MedicineNet's Newsletters
Get the latest health and medical information delivered direct to your inbox!