Patient Comments: Bursitis of the Knee - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs were associated with your knee bursitis?

Comment from: fyreman235, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 30

Pain began on top of the kneecap with just minor irritation to the touch. Gradually it increased to severe pain when bending the knee or walking. I saw an urgent care physician's assistant who suspected bursitis, but is sending to my general physician who will take it from there. I am expecting a cortisone shot. I do not remember injuring the knee, but I did play tennis 2 or 3 times a week before the pain began. I hope to be back on the court in a few days but might be dreaming.

Comment from: Ali0808, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I went to a state park and in an effort to walk across a stream fell on my first step hard on my left knee. I had a huge gaping wound, lots of blood and bone bruise. I stopped the bleeding with a torn up trail map; not so good. I favored it for 5 weeks, did see my doctor a few days later, and then boom, swelling, intractable pain, and local fever! I was inpatient for 5 days, had 3 knee taps and IV Ancef. I'm really sick now from the oral antibiotics. Knee bursitis is nothing to be messed with.

Comment from: Fernange., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

First time I got bursitis of the knee, it wasn"t painful at all. The inflammation came very slow and lasted about 8 months and went away by itself very slow as well. Yesterday it came back but fast, in about 2 hours I was in pain. I couldn"t sleep so I got up to reach for an electric pad but my body started shaking terribly. I guess my body temperature went down drastically, which made me think the bursa was internally infected. My whole body was now in pain (sort of flu symptoms). Tomorrow I"ll visit a rheumatologist for diagnosis.

Comment from: DScott , 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I'm a fit 70-year old male, 5 ft. 10 in. and 150 lbs. Right knee (prepatellar) bursitis reoccurs when I fail to "warm up" properly before using a quad-strengthening machine. Although I have used such weight machines regularly over the past 40 years, together with a lot of bicycling, I can actually feel the "pop" if I fail to warm up first. Right now, I've had 3 days of intense pain and tenderness along the lateral aspect of the knee cap, with nighttime stiffness and pain. Direct application of ice cubes and gentle castor oil massage (20 minutes, 5 to 6 times per day), 400 mg ibuprofen (3 to 4 times per day) and "working" the joint typically allow me to resume full use in a few days. The condition was diagnosed many years ago as gout. It's not, but bursitis and gout can be equally painful and both will restrict range of motion.

Comment from: looking4hope, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I have been drastically losing bone in my lower jaw at an extremely high and fast rate! I need to know why. I do suffer from degenerative disc disease, degenerative joint disease and spinal stenosis. I've already have had 3 operations on my spine and have been told that I may need a 5th one! I have been taking prescribed pain medication for about 10 years now. Recently I had all my lower teeth removed due to soft and bad teeth that was hereditary. I had 4 implants put in my lower jaw 2 hold my denture in place about 2 years ago. Since then I lost 2 of my implants and I am losing my bottom jaw bone at a very fast rate! I can't figure why this is happening to me.

Comment from: Ed Jr, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 16

Out of the blue a flaming burn feeling will go across my lower back and just go away. Then at random times my right knee will start burning and stop me from walking, then it will subside but my leg will kind of drag along, then will return to normal in a day or so. Sometimes my left knee will do the same thing. I have moderate fall risk because there is no leg muscle function at times too.

Comment from: OverIt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

A few weeks ago I knelt on my right knee to pick something up off ground and got this dreadful burning sharp sensation on the outside of right leg near the knee. I cannot kneel on this knee. It feels like, I guess a rubber band stretching about to break. I am tender on the bottom part of my knee where I kneel. I haven't told the doctor. I am being treated for bursitis of shoulder but nothing is working. I also have MS (multiple sclerosis). I am tired of always having something wrong with me.

Knee Bursitis - Experience Question: Does your job cause trauma to your knees? Share your experience with knee bursitis.
Knee Bursitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your knee bursitis? Did you have a fever or infection?
Knee Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you have for your knee bursitis?