Patient Comments: Bursitis of the Knee - Symptoms

What symptoms and signs were associated with your knee bursitis?

Comment from: Fernange., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

First time I got bursitis of the knee, it wasn"t painful at all. The inflammation came very slow and lasted about 8 months and went away by itself very slow as well. Yesterday it came back but fast, in about 2 hours I was in pain. I couldn"t sleep so I got up to reach for an electric pad but my body started shaking terribly. I guess my body temperature went down drastically, which made me think the bursa was internally infected. My whole body was now in pain (sort of flu symptoms). Tomorrow I"ll visit a rheumatologist for diagnosis.

Comment from: DScott , 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

I'm a fit 70-year old male, 5 ft. 10 in. and 150 lbs. Right knee (prepatellar) bursitis reoccurs when I fail to "warm up" properly before using a quad-strengthening machine. Although I have used such weight machines regularly over the past 40 years, together with a lot of bicycling, I can actually feel the "pop" if I fail to warm up first. Right now, I've had 3 days of intense pain and tenderness along the lateral aspect of the knee cap, with nighttime stiffness and pain. Direct application of ice cubes and gentle castor oil massage (20 minutes, 5 to 6 times per day), 400 mg ibuprofen (3 to 4 times per day) and "working" the joint typically allow me to resume full use in a few days. The condition was diagnosed many years ago as gout. It's not, but bursitis and gout can be equally painful and both will restrict range of motion.

Comment from: OverIt, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

A few weeks ago I knelt on my right knee to pick something up off ground and got this dreadful burning sharp sensation on the outside of right leg near the knee. I cannot kneel on this knee. It feels like, I guess a rubber band stretching about to break. I am tender on the bottom part of my knee where I kneel. I haven't told the doctor. I am being treated for bursitis of shoulder but nothing is working. I also have MS (multiple sclerosis). I am tired of always having something wrong with me.

Comment from: Agarcia29, 25-34 Female Published: October 03

I am 29 years old and have had bursitis in my left knee since November of 2004. I'm not sure exactly when I got it, but I'm pretty sure that the car accident I was in that year did it for me. A truck rear-ended my husband and me at a railroad crossing. He didn't see us stopped, waiting for the train to pass because he was on his cell phone and he sent us flying into the tracks. Our car was totaled. We got our daughter and ran before getting hit by a train. Needless to say the coward left us there, not even helping us! Anyway, when we were hit, the impact shoved me into the dashboard, and I smashed my knee real good into it. It was black and blue for weeks, and after that, the swelling never went away. Since then, I walk with pain. Some days it doesn't bother me, and others like today when it's so painful, nothing helps, not even anti-inflammatory meds. I have stopped trying to take anything to help because it's all for nothing. My knee pops all the time. I have bad leg cramps at night when I lie down to sleep. I'm not sure what to do anymore, and there's probably nothing I can do anyway since I have no insurance.

Comment from: Susie, Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I had to clean my oven one day, and over an afternoon, I knelt on the hard kitchen floor off and on about three times in total to scrub the oven. As I did this, I was kneeling on my right knee ... and then later, this knee became very sore. It stayed sore for four weeks. It was hard to bend. Although I could walk, I could not do much else with it, and it was very painful, and swollen. Finally, I dragged myself off to the doctor. (Yes, I know, I should have gone earlier!) My doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory for my knee bursitis that I have taken for five days and has made quite a difference. I will keep taking the prescription for another week, and I hope it will improve even more. No more kneeling on hard surfaces for me!

Comment from: Russ B., 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 08

I waited a little to long to see a doctor for my knee bursitis. I have swelling all the way to ankles. Infection has set in. First day on antibiotics is worse than yesterday. The sides of my knee are very tender. Never knew it could be so painful. A minor bump to the knee caused all this.

Knee Bursitis - Experience Question: Does your job cause trauma to your knees? Share your experience with knee bursitis.
Knee Bursitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your knee bursitis? Did you have a fever or infection?
Knee Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you have for your knee bursitis?