Patient Comments: Knee Bursitis - Treatments

What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you have for your knee bursitis?

Comment from: shalom4u, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

Try taking a mild water pill to relieve the pain. Most of the time it is due to water retention.

Comment from: hankscout, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

First I had the knee drained of yellow fluid and then received a cortisone shot directly. It's been about 11 hours and I am feeling better as time goes by, so far.

Comment from: Linda M, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I went to physical therapy for bursitis in my knee. Mine is caused from the IT band that runs on the outside of the thigh getting so tight that it caused bursitis to set in at my knee. The exercise that works best for me is: Lie on your back, resting on forearms. Bend one leg, with your foot resting on the floor. With the other leg: tighten muscles at front of thigh, roll leg outward 30-45 degrees, then lift leg 8-10 inches from surface of floor, keeping knee locked. Hold for two seconds. Repeat 15 times. Do three sets. I do both legs even though only one bothers me. This strengthens the inner thigh muscle so that the exterior muscle does not do all the work. I hope this one works for you.

Comment from: david, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

I went to the ER with someone I know who was told he has knee bursitis. He was given anti-inflammatory meds, including naproxen. They also gave him a shot of Toradol. These things did not work. We are trying to see if we can get more to the problem since he has no insurance at this time. He is having a hard time tolerating the pain because it has got to where he can't walk or put pressure on his leg.

Bursitis of the Knee - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs were associated with your knee bursitis?
Knee Bursitis - Experience Question: Does your job cause trauma to your knees? Share your experience with knee bursitis.
Knee Bursitis - Cause Question: What was the cause of your knee bursitis? Did you have a fever or infection?