Patient Comments: Knee Bursitis - Cause

What was the cause of your knee bursitis? Did you have a fever or infection?

Comment from: Belinda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I started walking, just a little, and riding a stationary bike, but because I was so out of shape, I awoke with a pain in my left knee on the inside. It was so painful. I went to the doctor who immediately said I had bursitis and gave me a cortisone shot. He told me to stay off my leg and ice it, which was impossible as I was taking care of my grandkids. I don"t think the cortisone worked at all. I'm going back tomorrow to the doctor for another shot. I cannot be off my feet. I have no fever or infection, just a lot of pain.

Comment from: Tom, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 31

I just had a patella bursectomy on 10/22/13. I had no pain before, and none after the surgery. It was a nothing, in my view. The problem started in about 1985. I had a painful bursa then but had it drained and learned to care for my knees. I own and use kneepads. I suspect part-time work in the yard, tennis and work as an electrician/locksmith were also major contributors!

Comment from: Hollyjune, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 16

I"ve had bursitis a couple of times and it is extremely painful. I had none of the symptoms except extreme pain. Sometimes if they don"t hit just the right spot with the cortisone, it doesn"t go away. I"d try that again before anything more extreme (except the ice and NSAIDs).

Comment from: BAMtheFinisher, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 15

I am a concrete finisher. I have done this for nearly 13 years and spend a large amount of time on my knees while working the concrete. Years of abuse led to my knee bursitis. The swelling has grown to the size of a tennis ball. I also had Osgood-Schlatter disease when I was younger. It looks like I have four kneecaps.

Bursitis of the Knee - Symptoms Question: What symptoms and signs were associated with your knee bursitis?
Knee Bursitis - Experience Question: Does your job cause trauma to your knees? Share your experience with knee bursitis.
Knee Bursitis - Treatments Question: What kinds of treatment, therapy, or medication did you have for your knee bursitis?