Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatments

How were your kidney stones treated?

Comment from: Jethro, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 05

I have been experiencing kidney stones since 1991. Now it is 2013, and I still get them from occasionally. My urologist has prescribed potassium citrate, which helps to break the stone down so it can be passed. I have passed more than 20 stones in the past three years. I avoid all dark green vegetables, almonds, iced tea, or anything that is crystallized, since I've heard these are all bad for kidney stone patients. I drink gallons of water every day, and my urine is usually clear. Anyone who ever had stones knows the pain and knows when one is in the body. When you don't have pain, the stone is stationary. When pain in present, the stone is moving. This could be a good sign. If you have pain, increase your water intake. I am no expert, but have educated myself on prevention.

Comment from: KJC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm a 40 year old female and just got released from the hospital after being diagnosed and treated for Kidney stones and infection. The pain started in my left mid back region as a pulsing, throbbing and stabbing sensation. Went to the ER and Ultrasound and CT showed I had a stone to be around 7mm in size. Because of the infection along with the stone, I was admitted and taken into the OR a few days later. They "blasted" the stone with laser and put a stent in for 10 days. That was only 2 days ago, and to tell you the truth, I'm in more pain now with the stent than I was in before my procedure. It burns to urinate now, my abdomen is cramping all the time, and the pain meds have made me bound up so now I need another pill for that. I tell you, I don't know which is worse, before or after? Its only 2 days into my recovery so hopefully it will get better. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Comment from: UtahVyper, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

I was a semi driver and was away from home when I started to feel some pain, sweats, dizziness and then lots of blood in the urine (looked like I was peeing pure blood). I got back home as fast as I could and by the time I was home I was rolling all over the floor. It felt like I was trying to push a baby out my penis. Paramedics were called and I was admitted into the hospital found out I had 4 large stones 7mm to 11mm in size. We went through shock treatment with the sound waves trying to break these stones with very little luck. I was being injected Troadol and when I went into surgery they placed a stent in my penis and sent me home with a screen to urinate through to catch the stones for Doctors review. It took 13 days for me to finally pass these stones and I was taking Morphine 100mg alternating with Tradol 10mg tablets every 12 hours. I hope no one ever experiences what I went through. I would never wish this on the worst of worst enemies. To prevent you on having stones you must intake at least 2 full 16 ounce glasses of water a day and cut way back on salt intake and dark cola drinks. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery if you have these problems.

Comment from: Jocipher, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 22

A shot for pain followed by a very painful (it felt like a razor-bladed coat-hanger was being forced up my junk as part of some sort of inquisition or alien probe situation). Then the wire forced open the 'kidney sphincter' until the doctor could grab that big chunk of gravel and drag it back out through my pee-hole. I was unfortunate enough to need this done once for each kidney in the same sitting. Once it was over, I felt violated. A valium would have helped. In the end, this procedure was about $3000 cheaper than a useless emergency room visit where all they do is charge you outrageous fees for a shot of painkiller that will last just long enough for you to get to a doctor and get pain pills. And once the deal is done, you only have to go back for a checkup 6 months later.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I started noticing blood in my urine in the spring of 2010. After finally getting an appointment to see the urologist in October 2010, I was sent for a bladder cystoscopy, which showed nothing. Six weeks later, I was sent for a CT scan, which showed three stones in the right kidney and one stone in the left. All the while, my back was aching and I didn't understand why I wasn't being dealt with quickly. I had the ESWL treatment on Jan 31, 2011 on the right kidney only because the one in the left is 18 mm and they don't even want to or know how to deal with that one right now. The ESWL treatment broke the three stones into five and they have now moved into my ureter. The doctor called yesterday and asked me whether he should do a ureteroscopy or another ESWL treatment? I didn't like the sound of the ureteroscopy with a stent, so I have opted for another ESWL treatment, which I expect will happen within another week or so. I find it hard to believe in this day and age that, with the problem identified, they don't just go in and deal with this once and for all. My quality of life has been affected by this since November when the pain started. I thought turning 50 was going to be new and cool. Now - not so much!

Kidney Stones - Causes Question: Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?
Kidney Stones - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?
Kidney Stones - Treatment Question: How were your kidney stones treated?
Kidney Stones - Prevention Question: What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a kidney stone?