Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Prevention

What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting kidney stones?

Comment from: Stoner :-), 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I form uric acid stones. I have taken allopurinol for 7 years. Together with drinking 4 liters of water a day, I have reduced the rate of my stones from one every 3/4 months to less than one a year. I have flank pain today though so I know there is another on the move. I've taken anti-inflammatories and will increase my fluid intake to move it. No doubt it'll choose to move in the early hours of the morning as usual. I work in cancer research and I am just glad that the worst health problem I have is kidney stones.

Comment from: Jimmy T, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 27

I have been having kidney stones since 1986. This was when lithotripsy was first developed. My insurance would not pay the $15,000 cost. So, I had to have surgery to have the large stone removed. Since 1986 I have had over 40 stones. Lithotripsy has only worked 2 out of 40. Laser has been the most successful treatment to rid me of the stone. My stones are calcium and hard and large. Dilaudid seems to work the best in controlling the pain. Good Luck.

Comment from: OldGeezer, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

My first bout with kidney stones was last year at age 71. I started feeling like my old football days after the first couple of days of workouts before starting the season. My muscles ached everywhere. I tried to put up with the pain, thinking I was sore from some of the projects around the house (mainly outside stuff), but the pain got worse. Finally my wife insisted I go to the emergency room (ER) and they diagnosed the stones. I was not admitted, but they did treat me in the ER and gave me some medications and sent me home. About 2 days later, I passed the stone. Now I'm going through a second episode a year later, but I'm trying to be more proactive this time... drinking more water, taking some Tylenol (although I still have some of the medicines from the last time in case the pain gets worse). Mostly it's my insides that hurts but it does better after taking Tylenol. Just drink plenty of water (I thought I was drinking enough, but obviously I wasn't). It means a lot of trips to the bathroom, but that's better than the pain and the trip to the ER. I'm drinking more water rather than just liquid, like wine or milk, etc. Water seems to be the answer.

Comment from: Bruno Henrique Sanch, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 31

Just buy a Brazilian supplement called NQI. It really helps with kidney stones, you have to use it for a long time like 4 or 10 months. But it solves your problems. No more surgery. Both my mom and I had this pain.

Comment from: Kirt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I was lucky enough to find in the health food stores or vitamin stores a product called Stone Free which is from natural plants, etc., which I believe has saved me from kidney stones.

Comment from: Traveller, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 18

I tried to avoid drinking water in different countries for fear of contracting a bacteria that my body is unfamiliar, thus no immunity built up to resist.

Kidney Stones - Causes Question: Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?
Kidney Stones - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?
Kidney Stones - Treatment Question: How were your kidney stones treated?