Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatment

How were your kidney stones treated?

A Doctor's View on Kidney Stone Treatment

Read the Comment by Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Many kidney stones do not require treatment and they pass on their own. Drinking ample amounts of fluid facilitates the process. People who have kidney stones often require medications, such as over-the-counter ibuprofen or prescription ketorolac (Toradol) or narcotic medications, for pain control. Other treatments for kidney stones include:

• Calcium channel blockers like nifedipine (Procardia, Adalat) and alpha blockers like tamsulosin (Flomax) to speed the passage of kidney stones
  • Shock wave therapy (lithotripsy) to break up kidney stones
  • Surgery
Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Alice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

They found a very large kidney stone by accident. It is lodged in on my right side, obstructing my ureter. I have to have the stent placed to surgically remove it. I have had it for quite some time and have lost some kidney function because of it. I never had pain from it though.

Comment from: luvsack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

They found a large kidney stone by accident from an x-ray for another problem. It hadn"t moved or caused pain so I was lucky. They used shockwave to blow it up into little pieces and I passed a lot of pieces. I asked if they could prevent them from forming. One of the staff had them 8 times. He said he found a test that had been conducted that showed one teaspoon of concentrated lemon juice a day prevented them. He had been doing it for 6 years and never had any more problems. He was having them ever 12 to 8 months apart before. I tried it but the lemon juice made me urinate too often to be able to go anywhere. I wish I had done it though as now I have another big one they are going to shockwave. The shockwave treatment is not painful or any kind of hassle. They just slightly medicate you and use a video game like device to keep blowing the pieces up until they are all small enough to pass with no pain. The doctor said the device they use is like playing the video game Asteroids, aim at the target and shoot it. Kind of cool in a way.

Comment from: BexxieB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My kidney stones were treated with pain medication. Ibuprofen works amazingly but sometimes something stronger is needed. That's about all I ever got from the emergency room. The last time I went to the hospital they thought I had 2 stones and sent me home with pain medication to pass them naturally. It finally passed my ureter and then I had irritation to my urethra. I thought it was from passing the stone but the irritation wouldn't go away. The stone was stuck in there somehow. I was able to pass water normally but it felt like a urinary tract infection (UTI). I drank so much water and tried diuretics but nothing worked. It stayed in there for weeks. Finally went into the shower and squatted to relieve myself and 3 small (2mm) and one massive (4x5x6) stones came out without pain. The two stones the doctors thought they saw on the x-ray was one huge stone with two points on either end. I'm actually pretty proud I was able to pass that one.

Comment from: Terryt, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: January 29

I have had stones since early 20s and I had lithotripsy twice to treat multiple stones. First attack was nausea for about 2 weeks. I thought it was something more serious. When the stone came first time pain was so severe, thought I was having heart attack. Pain starts in the back and radiates toward testicles. Blood may or may not be in urine, and have had X-rays both showing stone and not showing. I got antibiotic and pain medications and forced liquid down till it moves. When I sat in hot tub, it helped. I don't even worry anymore, as have learned that you can pass stones in excess of 2mm on your own.

Comment from: mamie43, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I noted blood in my urine and had pain in my lower back. The doctor put me on Cipro for UTI. Two weeks later, I had more pain. My urine checked out fine at the lab. Four days later, I was unable to urinate during night and the following morning, and I had severe left side and low back pain. I was sent to ER by the doctor, and a CAT scan revealed hydronephrosis, a kidney stone, and large cyst on the left kidney. I was sent home with pain pills, strainers, and told to drink a lot of liquids. The stone passed and was sent to the lab.

Comment from: Ml, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

When I was 19 I woke up with some pain in my lower back on a Sunday, but suspected I had slept funny. By Tuesday night I was in so much pain I was vomiting. Went to the hospital and they suspected a uti. After peeing into the cup and ruling that out they thought it might be kidney stones. Had a ct scan and blood test done later that day. Went to my doctor who said I should be able to pass it naturally. Luckily we decided to see a urologist who stated that I wouldn't be able to pass the 8mm stone on my own. Had the laser surgery and stent placed but being the lucky person I am had a reaction to the stent that was almost as bad as the kidney stone pain and also had constant blood in my urine. I had to have the stent removed about a week and a half later. The relief was almost instantaneous. Am currently having some similar pain so hoping the stones have not returned !

Kidney Stones - Causes Question: Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?
Kidney Stones - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?
Kidney Stones - Prevention Question: What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting kidney stones?