Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Treatment

How were your kidney stones treated?

Comment from: Alice, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 02

They found a very large kidney stone by accident. It is lodged in on my right side, obstructing my ureter. I have to have the stent placed to surgically remove it. I have had it for quite some time and have lost some kidney function because of it. I never had pain from it though.

Comment from: luvsack, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

They found a large kidney stone by accident from an x-ray for another problem. It hadn"t moved or caused pain so I was lucky. They used shockwave to blow it up into little pieces and I passed a lot of pieces. I asked if they could prevent them from forming. One of the staff had them 8 times. He said he found a test that had been conducted that showed one teaspoon of concentrated lemon juice a day prevented them. He had been doing it for 6 years and never had any more problems. He was having them ever 12 to 8 months apart before. I tried it but the lemon juice made me urinate too often to be able to go anywhere. I wish I had done it though as now I have another big one they are going to shockwave. The shockwave treatment is not painful or any kind of hassle. They just slightly medicate you and use a video game like device to keep blowing the pieces up until they are all small enough to pass with no pain. The doctor said the device they use is like playing the video game Asteroids, aim at the target and shoot it. Kind of cool in a way.

Comment from: Ml, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

When I was 19 I woke up with some pain in my lower back on a Sunday, but suspected I had slept funny. By Tuesday night I was in so much pain I was vomiting. Went to the hospital and they suspected a uti. After peeing into the cup and ruling that out they thought it might be kidney stones. Had a ct scan and blood test done later that day. Went to my doctor who said I should be able to pass it naturally. Luckily we decided to see a urologist who stated that I wouldn't be able to pass the 8mm stone on my own. Had the laser surgery and stent placed but being the lucky person I am had a reaction to the stent that was almost as bad as the kidney stone pain and also had constant blood in my urine. I had to have the stent removed about a week and a half later. The relief was almost instantaneous. Am currently having some similar pain so hoping the stones have not returned !

Comment from: shiggins77, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I have battled kidney stones since I was 18 and am now 36. I had one procedure done at 18 after developing a severe bladder infection, which was when the stones were first diagnosed. I was fine and stone-free until my second pregnancy. In the last seven years, I™ve had numerous lithotripsy (ESWL) procedures, and have had the laser stone fragmentation treatment. Then I found out I had a 4 cm stone and have had two percutaneous nephrostomy procedures done. Surprise: I found out two weeks ago I now have a 1.3 cm stone. These all occur only in my left kidney and I™m seriously wishing they would just remove my kidney at this point. I™m a working mother of two young children and my life has been consumed with doctors, procedures, and the recovery from these procedures only to experience more pain month after month. I™m so fed up and have no idea what to do now with this new stone. Nothing seems to work for me anymore.

Comment from: Engineer, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

I am a 53 year old white male with no history of kidney stones. During a routine physical, a microscopic amount of blood was found in my urine. I have had no pain. Doctor suspected bladder or kidney cancer or possibly kidney stone. Went to urologist and got CT and cystoscopy. Cystoscopy showed nothing. CT showed 10 mm stone in left kidney. Urologist plans to take no action. I guess if it isn't causing pain or trouble passing urine that he feels it is best to do nothing at this time.

Kidney Stones - Causes Question: Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?
Kidney Stones - Symptoms Question: What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?
Kidney Stones - Prevention Question: What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a kidney stone?