Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?

A Doctor's View on What Are the Symptoms and Signs of Kidney Stones?

Symptoms and signs of kidney stones include intense pain that begins on the side of the low back and may radiate to the abdomen. Associated symptoms and signs include sweating, vomiting, and nausea. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Charlotte, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I hope I never again get kidney stones. The pain began on the left side all around the kidney area. I knew this wasn't a pain I had experienced before. It wasn't long before the pain became horrendous. I was violently sick and was also experiencing tummy cramps. TO cut a long story short the pain was excruciating, I couldn't walk, stand sit or lie, I just wanted to die. An ambulance was called, and after having some wonderful nitrous oxide I was able to get to the sofa. I have given birth naturally twice and this was right up there on the agony scale. The CT scan showed that the stone was at the junction of the bladder and urethra. This happened yesterday 9th February, but I still haven't passed it. All I can say is thank goodness for gas and air, morphine and rectal Voltarol suppositories.

Comment from: Kole123, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

This is January 26, 2016. On July 20, 2015 I started having pains in right lower side and thought I had appendicitis. I went to the emergency room. It wasn't. Side and back are still killing me. I did have 2 small stones in my kidneys. They have done test and can't find anything. They did do exploratory surgery and found colon stuck to bladder, and scar tissue. Every morning I get up, I go urinate and start carrying fever and chills. I am at my wits' end. It's been so long I just wondering if stones can go this long. Pains seem to be getting worse.

Comment from: Aki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was awakened by pain under the left side of my ribcage. It was a steady ache, about a level 3, with jolts of stabbing pain whenever I'd move the wrong way, or when the bus hit a bump on the way to the hospital. I had no urinary symptoms or fever, so I thought it was just trapped gas until it kept me up through 6 am. I'm glad I went to the emergency room; they gave me oxycodone and the first kidney stone passed relatively painlessly. They wrote me a prescription for oxycodone, and sent me home, where I'm waiting to pass the second one. Longest day ever.

Comment from: Ruba, Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I did suffer from kidney stone six years back. It is worse than the labor pain. This is my second experience. It is excruciating. With vomiting and pain I was with a hot water bottle on my lower back and was rushed to the emergency room. The doctors and nurses treated and helped me to recover from the pain. CT scan was taken. They found the stone in my left kidney. My thanks to the doctors and nurses.

Comment from: Mdavis2, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

The first time I ever experienced a kidney stone I thought it was just your average cramping due to my 'time of month.' After being sent home from class, I started to experience extreme aching of my back. When I got up to grab a glass of water, a sharp cramp shot from the bottom of my back to my abdominal area. It got to the point where it was so severe and I couldn't handle the pain. Soon when my mother had gotten home, we finally went to the hospital. Unfortunately, mine was larger than normal so during the next week I had to deal with the pain. I give so much respect to people who have dealt and passed these things. Those five days I had a nice bed made for me in the bathroom due to excessive vomiting and night sweats. I've broken bones before, and this by far was still the worst pain I've ever experienced. My tip to you, once you know you're beginning to experience one, get it checked out right away before it gets out of hand like mine did. Good luck!

Comment from: Art, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 03

I suddenly started having pain under my left rib cage. Then the pain moved to my lower back. Now it is mostly on the left side, similar to a dull nagging toothache. I never had a kidney stone before; this is 3rd day. I first thought it was a pulled muscle, but I am still not sure. Usually I would have had relief by now. My friend drank lemon juice for about three days and got much relief and soon passed a small stone. He drinks lemon juice regularly as a preventive measure.

Kidney Stones - Causes Question: Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?
Kidney Stones - Treatment Question: How were your kidney stones treated?
Kidney Stones - Prevention Question: What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting kidney stones?