Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?

Comment from: Mrs.Smith2013, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

Kidney stones are the absolute worse pain ever... it is excruciating! I thought I was going to die. I had about 5 of them. I passed 2 and 2 were surgically blasted into tiny pieces so that I could pass them and one is currently still embedded in my kidney on the left side. And now here we are today and my back is hurting again!

Comment from: Ouch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I'm (hopefully) near the end of my kidney stone episode as I type this. For two days, I had some blood in my urine. I could feel about where the stone was. When the first stone was stuck in the front half of my torso, a second stone entered 'the tube'. Probable cause was taking out carbs and eating protein to lose weight (Atkins'). If you're on Atkins', drink a lot!

Comment from: ashley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I have had multiple 4-5 mm stones in both kidneys As usual, they told me the stones were not big enough for lithotripsy and asked me to drink lots of water. After a few days I had an ultrasound, and the stones in one kidney were gone. But now for a few months, I have been having dull aches in my lower back on the side where I have stones. It increases in standing and decreases if I do some movement.

Comment from: Truly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

This is my second kidney stone. The first one was misdiagnosed for four months before I passed out at my front door about four years ago. One week of additional testing and I almost ended up with surgery for a suspected twisted bowel. Luckily, that time I asked the doctors to reconsider. A CT scan confirmed kidney stones on both sides. Only the left one hurt (words can't begin to describe the pain). Now I have a 4 mm stone on the left, while the right is at 10mm. Again”more pain, although nothing is showing up in my urine or blood work. My doctor wants me to just go home and drink lots of fluids. I've been suffering for months: what do you think the odds are of passing this one?

Comment from: MsGranberg, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 11

In 2012 I woke up one morning with back pain and nausea. My boyfriend at the time took me to the emergency room, where they discovered I had a stone 5mm in size. They decided to keep me and treat my condition. I did pass the stone in about 48 hours, but also contracted sepsis. I thought I was about to die. I ended up staying in the hospital for about a week and was on antibiotics for about a month. I now get afraid when my back hurts. Stones are no joke.

Kidney Stones - Causes Question: Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?
Kidney Stones - Treatment Question: How were your kidney stones treated?
Kidney Stones - Prevention Question: What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting a kidney stone?