Patient Comments: Kidney Stones - Symptoms

What were the symptoms and signs of your kidney stone?

A Doctor's View on What Are the Symptoms and Signs of Kidney Stones?

Symptoms and signs of kidney stones include intense pain that begins on the side of the low back and may radiate to the abdomen. Associated symptoms and signs include sweating, vomiting, and nausea. Read the entire Doctor's View

Comment from: Aki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was awakened by pain under the left side of my ribcage. It was a steady ache, about a level 3, with jolts of stabbing pain whenever I'd move the wrong way, or when the bus hit a bump on the way to the hospital. I had no urinary symptoms or fever, so I thought it was just trapped gas until it kept me up through 6 am. I'm glad I went to the emergency room; they gave me oxycodone and the first kidney stone passed relatively painlessly. They wrote me a prescription for oxycodone, and sent me home, where I'm waiting to pass the second one. Longest day ever.

Comment from: Ruba, Female (Patient) Published: February 19

I did suffer from kidney stone six years back. It is worse than the labor pain. This is my second experience. It is excruciating. With vomiting and pain I was with a hot water bottle on my lower back and was rushed to the emergency room. The doctors and nurses treated and helped me to recover from the pain. CT scan was taken. They found the stone in my left kidney. My thanks to the doctors and nurses.

Comment from: Mdavis2, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

The first time I ever experienced a kidney stone I thought it was just your average cramping due to my 'time of month.' After being sent home from class, I started to experience extreme aching of my back. When I got up to grab a glass of water, a sharp cramp shot from the bottom of my back to my abdominal area. It got to the point where it was so severe and I couldn't handle the pain. Soon when my mother had gotten home, we finally went to the hospital. Unfortunately, mine was larger than normal so during the next week I had to deal with the pain. I give so much respect to people who have dealt and passed these things. Those five days I had a nice bed made for me in the bathroom due to excessive vomiting and night sweats. I've broken bones before, and this by far was still the worst pain I've ever experienced. My tip to you, once you know you're beginning to experience one, get it checked out right away before it gets out of hand like mine did. Good luck!

Comment from: Gurlinpain, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 10

I had my first kidney stone problem while I was pregnant with my daughter. At first I thought she had gotten herself in a really awful position and was killing my lower right side of my back and under my right rib cage. Then through the night the pain got worse and caused me to sit upright only in a chair. After nothing taking the pain away I ended up at the hospital not knowing what was wrong, there they confirmed it was kidney stones, gave me some medicines and sent me home to pass them. Last week I started getting low back pain but just figured it was due to me being in a walking boot after hurting my Achilles tendon. The next day I woke up to a pain in my pelvic area like I had a UTI (urinary tract infection) starting. I drink a gallon of water a day so I was absolutely confused as to how that could happen so I got some cranberry juice and continued to flush myself. By night time I was in excruciating pain and couldn't sleep. I could only sit up, so I went to the local urgent care the next morning and after ultrasound found stones in my right side. We tried to catch my stone but after 48 hours no stone and the pain had subsided so I thought we missed it. Today not even a week later I am up again due to major pain and hoping that I can get some sleep tonight so I can take care of my kiddos tomorrow and not be sleep deprived. The pain is awful, probably I will be going back to the doctor tomorrow. I would rather give birth naturally than to have kidney stones again.

Comment from: iowaguy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

I'm currently going through my second kidney stone passing. The first time, I didn't have any idea what hit me, just sudden, excruciating pain in my lower back, some nausea, and I went to the emergency room. This time, I've noticed a dull ache in the kidney area for about the last week to ten days and thought I was getting ready to go through the pain again. This morning I woke up, went to the bathroom, and was immediately hit with the familiar agony of a kidney stone leaving the kidney. The pain was intense, but after a couple hours and a couple of aspirins, it dulled to the point I could move and function. My third urination of the day brought about the first urine that showed signs of discoloring. It was an orangish color, not the brown/red of last time, so I'm hoping this stone is smaller than the 7 mm stone I passed last time. Outside of aspirin and water, I'm going to attempt to pass this without any medical intervention or prescription painkillers, more due to budget than willpower to tell the truth. Will update this later in the week after I expel it and let everyone know the rough size, how long it took to pass, and whether I was able to withstand it without medication.

Kidney Stones - Causes Question: Did your doctor indicate what he or she thought caused your kidney stones?
Kidney Stones - Treatment Question: How were your kidney stones treated?
Kidney Stones - Prevention Question: What prevention measures do you use to avoid getting kidney stones?